British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   us in Gulf Harbour (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/us-gulf-harbour-597256/)

JackandE Mar 13th 2009 2:14 am

us in Gulf Harbour

Hi everyone, This is my first post...I hope its in the right place....I have on several occasions looked into this but somehow didnt have the courage to put into words...We have been here for 6 months after arriving from Stockport, Cheshire. My OH has a job. I have been trying and must of applied for loads, not kept count. We would love to meet any one near by.......it can get very lonely day after day, with no one to talk to. Our kids came over with us but they are in there late 20s, one married and the other just moved into a house with boyfriend. So if there are going to be any meet-ups we would like to come along..................we need cheering up.:(

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 13th 2009 9:43 pm

Re: us in Gulf Harbour

Hello there. Welcome to BE & to Gulf Harbour. You will find lots of friendly & helpful people around, both on here & in GH. There are lots of Brits here, often to be found near the Pacific Bar & Neptunes of an evening ;). Wednesday night is quiz night at Neptunes starting at 7.30pm. Maximum team size is 8 people. You usually need to book a table. Maybe you could make a team up with your kids if they are close by. If not come along anyway & just introduce yourself as new to the area. We've all been there at some time. We are mostly Brits but there are a few brave kiwis who join in. Our quizmaster, Fran is currently backin his native Liverpool, so Will has stepped in to do the job for a few weeks. The quiz isn't taken too seriously & is basically an excuse for a good evening out with friends.

What sort of jobs are you looking for? What does your OH do? If he works in the CBD, does he get the ferry in? That's another good way to meet people. The ferry is known as Little Britain, though there are quite a few Kiwis & South Africans on board too.

Hope this helps a little. You need to do a couple more posts & then you will be able to private message people. Will PM you in due course.

Wotcha, Chief V :D

JackandE Mar 16th 2009 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7376998)
Hello there. Welcome to BE & to Gulf Harbour. You will find lots of friendly & helpful people around, both on here & in GH. There are lots of Brits here, often to be found near the Pacific Bar & Neptunes of an evening ;). Wednesday night is quiz night at Neptunes starting at 7.30pm. Maximum team size is 8 people. You usually need to book a table. Maybe you could make a team up with your kids if they are close by. If not come along anyway & just introduce yourself as new to the area. We've all been there at some time. We are mostly Brits but there are a few brave kiwis who join in. Our quizmaster, Fran is currently backin his native Liverpool, so Will has stepped in to do the job for a few weeks. The quiz isn't taken too seriously & is basically an excuse for a good evening out with friends.

What sort of jobs are you looking for? What does your OH do? If he works in the CBD, does he get the ferry in? That's another good way to meet people. The ferry is known as Little Britain, though there are quite a few Kiwis & South Africans on board too.

Hope this helps a little. You need to do a couple more posts & then you will be able to private message people. Will PM you in due course.

Wotcha, Chief V :D

Hi Chief V......Thanks for the reply
We will try Neptunes out....I have mentioned it to the kids and they said they would make a team so we will book a table soon....I have been to the Pacific bar... thats really nice. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 16th 2009 4:53 am

I shall keep an eye out for you. Now you just have to come up with a team name, though most teams change their name on a weekly basis :huh:. Usually in response to something that happened the week before at the quiz, or if a team member is missing etc. As I said, it's not too serious.
How's the job hunting going?

JackandE Mar 16th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7383368)
I shall keep an eye out for you. Now you just have to come up with a team name, though most teams change their name on a weekly basis :huh:. Usually in response to something that happened the week before at the quiz, or if a team member is missing etc. As I said, it's not too serious.
How's the job hunting going?

Hi Vitalstatistix.......We will think of a good name for the team....we may just come down and see whats going on first. I keep looking for a job and keep applying for them off seek and trade me.....but same answer back.:( I am learning MS Excell that my son has set up for me...so that may help in the search for a job. I'm looking for something in accounts, but I dont think I have all the knowledge the Kiwi's require.I even went on a short course to learn MYOB. Anyway something will turn up.......we are on the move again to a smaller house.:cool: