Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

urgent help, needed

urgent help, needed

Old May 22nd 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: urgent help, needed

Originally Posted by sky
Sugo that doesn't sound good at all! thank god you have someone to look after you.
I know what you mean about the never being ill until you came here, I've had alsorts go wrong with me .. I had a growth for suspected skin cancer removed from my arm a while ago and now I have one on my eye. I'm falling to bits and the waiting lists are just as bad here aren't they, I already got thrown off one waiting list and told to go back to my Dr if it got any worse

Hope you get treatment soon and start to feel better.

ooer the big C is scary eh, hope it gets sorted soon, let us know how it goes, havnt got a clue how bad the lists are here, dont hear much about it in ED

as for me, i went to my emergency and booked in, (thats where i work) and they found out it was giardia, which is good news, i was thinking i might need an operation, all the treatment was one dose of antibiotics,

Giardia is a horrible thing, really thought i might die over the last few days, especially when i woke up looking blue/grey went in and my heart rate was 130, needed 2 litres of normal saline IV and have been signed off for a week.

Have no idea how i caught it, but it is wide spread in new zealand, comes from infected water, or foods cooked/washed in infected water. It lasts upto 6 weeks and can be nasty.

so no for a while

so now just hope we all survive the kiwi winter, i stayed at my fellas house last night, (only cos i go a bit bonkers with a high temp) and didnt put the heating on in my house, got in this morning and you could see your breath in the air, scary

thanks all for your replies, especially Sky
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:38 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you know what it is now Sugo, it sounds horrible though!
Take care and hope you're better soon
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
ooer the big C is scary eh, hope it gets sorted soon, let us know how it goes, havnt got a clue how bad the lists are here, dont hear much about it in ED

as for me, i went to my emergency and booked in, (thats where i work) and they found out it was giardia, which is good news, i was thinking i might need an operation, all the treatment was one dose of antibiotics,

Giardia is a horrible thing, really thought i might die over the last few days, especially when i woke up looking blue/grey went in and my heart rate was 130, needed 2 litres of normal saline IV and have been signed off for a week.

Have no idea how i caught it, but it is wide spread in new zealand, comes from infected water, or foods cooked/washed in infected water. It lasts upto 6 weeks and can be nasty.

so no for a while

so now just hope we all survive the kiwi winter, i stayed at my fellas house last night, (only cos i go a bit bonkers with a high temp) and didnt put the heating on in my house, got in this morning and you could see your breath in the air, scary

thanks all for your replies, especially Sky
Hey Sugo - feel for you - I caught that in the UK when I was 16 weeks pregnant - was no fun at all, lingered for about a week till I got it diagnosed and then it wiped me out completely for 2 weeks then I had to have 1 week recuperation, eating chocolate - Dr's orders!!!!
Couldn't find the source then , but was suggested that it might have been bottled water that was stored incorrectly / for too long!
Once the AB's kicked in I felt so much better - wishing you a speedy recovery
Vicki
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sugo
God that's a worry! Does this mean the NZ water supply is unreliable? Could it have been through ingesting bottled water that was "out of date"? Did the medics give you any idea how you could have actually caught it other than the general comment of infected water? I mean how does water become infected and what measure can we take to protect ourselves? I know I filter my water at home even though I've never had an issue with ordinary tap water.

Anyway glad it all got sorted and that you're on the mend mate. Do think about getting yourself some health inurance though (at least until you qualify for free surgery or that), just incase.