Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Urgent, Costs and help Please, Just had an OFFER!!!!

Urgent, Costs and help Please, Just had an OFFER!!!!

Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Urgent, Costs and help Please, Just had an OFFER!!!!

Hello

We have just had an offer on our house, now we are panicking! and abit happy!
But we need some up to date costs/prices on the following and some qustions answered

1) Container cost (20')
2) Is it realistic to get a £10k reduction in house prices.
3) Has anyone recently exchanged any largish amounts of money, what sort of rate did you get (and is it generally above the indicative rate).

Just trying to work out if its a goer or not, so really important (we need to let the agent no in the morning).

A BIG THANK YOU in advance (we will be heading to ChCh).

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent, Costs and help Please, Just had an OFFER!!!!

Sorry can't help, but can

BUMP

your post back to the top for you

Good Luck
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Sorry can't help, but can

BUMP

your post back to the top for you

Good Luck
Nice One
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jads
Hello

We have just had an offer on our house, now we are panicking! and abit happy!
But we need some up to date costs/prices on the following and some qustions answered

1) Container cost (20')
2) Is it realistic to get a £10k reduction in house prices.
3) Has anyone recently exchanged any largish amounts of money, what sort of rate did you get (and is it generally above the indicative rate).

Just trying to work out if its a goer or not, so really important (we need to let the agent no in the morning).

A BIG THANK YOU in advance (we will be heading to ChCh).

Cheers Jads
Hiya Jads,
Firstly well done on getting an offer!

can help with the 1st. Recent quote for a 20" containers £3,600 here to Auckland-not including MAF or insurance. Cant help with the others but I think at the mo the exchange rate with HiFix is 2.63 and as for a reduction in prices in NZ, I think they are in a pretty similar fix as here so its possible!
Good luck
Chris
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alchris
Hiya Jads,
Firstly well done on getting an offer!

can help with the 1st. Recent quote for a 20" containers £3,600 here to Auckland-not including MAF or insurance. Cant help with the others but I think at the mo the exchange rate with HiFix is 2.63 and as for a reduction in prices in NZ, I think they are in a pretty similar fix as here so its possible!
Good luck
Chris
Cheers Chris

Any ideas on Maf & Insurance Prices?

Jads
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

From the quotes we have had PSS said to allow about $500 just to be sure, another said it all depended on how many boxes they opened and Crown include the cost in their quote(not sure how that is possible???) and were a £1000 dearer than the other 2. Insurance is between 2.8 and 3% of your container contents from the removal companies ,and we were told to look at what you house contents policy is valued at to get an idea of how much to insure for. I think you can get a cheaper quote from an insurance company called- i think! Letton Percival. read that on here somewhere. Had the quotes in July but as weve yet to sell have not read them indepth. Hope you can make your decision

Chris
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alchris
....I think you can get a cheaper quote from an insurance company called- i think! Letton Percival. read that on here somewhere. ....Chris
here is Brian's email at Letton Percival - he did right by us for insurance
brian*dot*naughton@lettonpercival*dot*co*dot*uk
remove the *dot* s......
its a buyer's market on the property front so come, rent for a bit and then have some leverage to sort out really *wants* to sell
good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Greythound is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on the offer
We sold back in march and took a £10k drop, only you can decide if thats acceptable to you and your budget...we had to make a judgment, loose the money or loose the sale, the way the market was back then we were more worried about loosing the sale as we'd already had one fall through, plus we were paying mortgage in the UK and Rent in NZ for my husband who had to come out before me to start his job. ( plus being apart for 3 months it was worth the £10K, still tease my husband now he cost us £10K , he claims he's worth it )

You may need to ring the Agent in the morning but you don't have to make it first thing, use the first couple of hours to make a few calls and get some up to date prices. This will help you to budget and decide if you are happy to take the loss. If your going to rent initially you can always leave the bulk of your money in the UK and watch the rates, thats what we did.

I used the 10k drop to my advantage, told them I was willing to take the drop, but wanted a quick exchange, followed by a move date five weeks later. This was my guarentee the house sale would happen and once the exchange took place could confirm the shippers and concentrate on sorting final things without worrying the sale was going to collapse.( it's rare people drop out after exchange, cost them 10%) Depends how long your chain is though, this may not work if it's too long.
Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We have just been quoted £3,400 for a 20ft, excluding MAF and insurance, that was from PSS.

If you have a sell on a house, take it, many people on here are now stood still because they can't sell their house, i have resorted to renting our house.

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teebrown
We have just been quoted £3,400 for a 20ft, excluding MAF and insurance, that was from PSS.

If you have a sell on a house, take it, many people on here are now stood still because they can't sell their house, i have resorted to renting our house.

Good luck
Hi

Yeah I know we are lucky getting an offer of any sort at the moment

Fingers Crossed

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future

Well done Jads, after all of the waste of time viewings one has finally been a success.

We have decided to rent our out having had several lettings agencies round, it seems to be a slightly easier option.

We are also in Cheltenham, and have corresponded before.

Well done again, and i hope that it all goes ok for you

Jill
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

toetickler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i had a quote for a sole use 20 foot container at £4158 which i thought was a bit expensive but cheap for the car at £1600 including insurance and customs. that was excess baggage international movers. These were quoted last weekend. Good Luck. Rosie
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:49 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of ours are looking at a buy to rent out second home.
They were advised by a person in the trade that with current housing climate, start at 20% below asking price. What have you got to lose.
It should more than make up for UK losses.