Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Originally Posted by Yotty
Shurley "Embra" is Dunedin?
No bloody way
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:12 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

ditto
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:44 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

"Edinburgh's nicknames, or epithets include "Edina" "Embra" and "Embro"

Edinburgh has also been known as "Dunedin", deriving from the Scottish Gaelic, D�n �ideann. Dunedin, New Zealand, was originally called "New Edinburgh", and is still nicknamed "The Edinburgh of the South".

source
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
"Edinburgh's nicknames, or epithets include "Edina" "Embra" and "Embro"

Edinburgh has also been known as "Dunedin", deriving from the Scottish Gaelic, D�n �ideann. Dunedin, New Zealand, was originally called "New Edinburgh", and is still nicknamed "The Edinburgh of the South".

source
Aye, we know this is accurate, but there the likenesses between the two places generally end, apart from the street names being the same in places, and the rain
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:47 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Aye, we know this is accurate, but there the likenesses between the two places generally end, apart from the street names being the same in places, and the rain

Actually Dunedin's setting is more like in the highlands, at the end of big loch with a ring of mountains around.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html
Fortunately we also have less rainfall than Edinburgh, and more sunshine and average temperatures compared to UK cities (a fact that gets overlooked when the weather gets gets slagged off compared to more northern parts of NZ).
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:56 am

Snow too.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:07 am

Dunedin

The Highlands

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
Actually Dunedin's setting is more like in the highlands, at the end of big loch with a ring of mountains around.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html
Fortunately we also have less rainfall than Edinburgh, and more sunshine and average temperatures compared to UK cities (a fact that gets overlooked when the weather gets gets slagged off compared to more northern parts of NZ).
I remember my first day in Dunedin, on Princes Street, and it rained, that was about the only genuine likeness to my home town I really saw!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it called Manchester??

As an aside, I bet Danny and Donna have no soft furnishing in their home as have vision of Dan standing there in Briscoes shouting "I'm not having any of that manchester bollox in my home!!!"
Spot on
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:56 am
Here in Dunedin

I remember my first day in Dunedin, on Princes Street, and it rained, that was about the only genuine likeness to my home town I really saw!!!
Yep - some guidebooks and some others in the tourism industry haven't got a lot of imagination, and tend to rehash the original colonial promotional byline: "Edinburgh of the South".

Still we get American amd Asian tourists coming through who don't know any better, and they take pictures of Robbie Burns, video a piping in of the haggis, buy some shortbread, and cross Scotland off their to-do list. Its a bit sad really when there is a lot of better stuff they could be doing around here.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
Yep - some guidebooks and some others in the tourism industry haven't got a lot of imagination, and tend to rehash the original colonial promotional byline: "Edinburgh of the South".

Still we get American amd Asian tourists coming through who don't know any better, and they take pictures of Robbie Burns, video a piping in of the haggis, buy some shortbread, and cross Scotland off their to-do list. Its a bit sad really when there is a lot of better stuff they could be doing around here.
Like go to tacky Scottish shop, MacDonalds with an internet Mac-Cafe, go see the "castle", walk up that steep hill, see genuine NZ Cadburys chocolate being made and drink Speights
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:47 am
Here in Dunedin

Like go to tacky Scottish shop, MacDonalds with an internet Mac-Cafe, go see the "castle", walk up that steep hill, see genuine NZ Cadburys chocolate being made and drink Speights
You make it seem so wonderful. Geez - you are an 'absolutely positive' person.

None of your list are what we have shown our guests when they visit, although Speights may have been had in small quantities.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:23 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=irnbru14;6134305]Why is it called Manchester??

Before World War 2 as New Zealand had been a British colony manufacturers automatically sourced cotton fabrics from Manchester in the United Kingdom. In stores the department that sold cotton goods was called the Manchester department. Europe did produce these fabrics also, but with travel and language problems Manchester was the preferred supplier. The U.S.A. produced good fabrics, but did little or no exporting."

God I love the internet!!!

BTW who else says Yoe-Gurt these days???? I think I pick most of it up from my darling children who I keep constantly correcting!! I know I'm fighting a losing battle but I'm not going to give in easily
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:36 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
...BTW who else says Yoe-Gurt these days???? I think I pick most of it up from my darling children who I keep constantly correcting!! I know I'm fighting a losing battle but I'm not going to give in easily
just give in and disengage the brain, and don't forget:

.........Kiwi Good, Other Way Bad.....

I can put this on a tape for nightime listening if you want
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:39 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
just give in and disengage the brain, and don't forget:

I can put this on a tape for nightime listening if you want

So what is your accent like these days?? What does a Black Country Kiwi sound like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.