Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:39 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upon arrival, what would it have been really useful to have known?

Originally Posted by Maz
The "eh" thing is very familiar to me. It's common in the northern Midwest of the US, and in Canada, eh? As in "Heat me up a beer, eh?"

I also call an estate car a station wagon. Really is a mix of UK and US English...
kinda Danny.f speak too

a....a....a....a....a....a....a....a

/looks for *that* email with all the "A" keys on the keyboard/

Anyone remember it? it had one with the John Lennon Airpot plane picture (no wheels on it!) and moustachioed/shell suited/permed scousers in it........laughed a lot at the time.......
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:25 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spudgun
I cant handle the Station Wagon thing. Its an Estate car. As for the ...eh..thing. Wow.
Funny you should pick those two examples, as in the last fortnight I've heard both terms used on British television programmes. My wife and I were most bemused as we had assumed they were NZ only terms. (the 'eh' at the end of a sentence was used by a Scottish presenter).

Many so-called kiwi terms used to also be common in the UK or or regional UK language, but over time their relative usage in either country has changed significantly. Another good example is Manchester for the retail section including linen, curtains and towels.

For us the things we needed to know were all in the first 2-3 weeks - getting the kids into school and/or playgroups straight away was a big help as it allowed plenty of opportunities to ask other parents about "where to get such and such...."
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Funny you should pick those two examples, as in the last fortnight I've heard both terms used on British television programmes. My wife and I were most bemused as we had assumed they were NZ only terms. (the 'eh' at the end of a sentence was used by a Scottish presenter).

Many so-called kiwi terms used to also be common in the UK or or regional UK language, but over time their relative usage in either country has changed significantly. Another good example is Manchester for the retail section including linen, curtains and towels.

For us the things we needed to know were all in the first 2-3 weeks - getting the kids into school and/or playgroups straight away was a big help as it allowed plenty of opportunities to ask other parents about "where to get such and such...."
Why is it called Manchester??

As an aside, I bet Danny and Donna have no soft furnishing in their home as have vision of Dan standing there in Briscoes shouting "I'm not having any of that manchester bollox in my home!!!"
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:08 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
(the 'eh' at the end of a sentence was used by a Scottish presenter).
It's in widespread use in Scotland.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:48 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Station waggons? I believe the term isn't a Kiwi one at all, far from it - I heard it used in Africa many years ago but I believe that it has its origin in the US of A.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
It's in widespread use in Scotland.
eh???
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:25 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru14
eh???
Aye it is! Gonni no blink like that, eh?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Aye it is! Gonni no blink like that, eh?
Eh, ah dinny ken what yer sayin pal, ye ken, by the way, eh
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:33 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Eh, ah dinny ken what yer sayin pal, ye ken, by the way, eh
Yi div so.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Yi div so.
Fit like! Furry boot are ye frae??
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:53 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Fit like! Furry boot are ye frae??
Um fi Edinbra like but wi moved doon ti the cuntry a few years back, eh. You fi up North? Aberdo?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Um fi Edinbra like but wi moved doon ti the cuntry a few years back, eh. You fi up North? Aberdo?
Nah, am frae Embra too, ya ken?!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:58 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Nah, am frae Embra too, ya ken?!
Awwayyyy!

{Sorry for the Celtic hijack. They will never take our freedom..... }
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Loyalty cards eg Fly Buys, Onecard, Reading Reel Club

The fact you need a membership card for Moore Wilson's

Train tickets are sold per calendar month although you can get additional weeks pro rata added to the ticket ie if you start mid month

Multi journey bus tickets and multi journey train tickets

Banking costs - I set up an online payment (which cost me $1.50) and then I amended it straight away to change the payment date and that cost me another $1.50!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Shurley "Embra" is Dunedin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.