Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Update on our move

Update on our move

Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update on our move

Hi everyone....I'm finally back online again.

Got broadband today so finally I can mail everyone back at home and talk in messenger and I'm so pleased about it.

Well, been here a few weeks now. Arrived in NZ on 12th June. Stayed with my OH's boss for first 2 weeks. Then moved into a house in Wattle Downs which is near Manurewa. We decided after 2 days of being there that it wasnt for us...I could never see myself settling there and I was totally miserable there and hardly stopped crying...I also wanted to get on the next plane going back to UK!!

Somebody told us to go look in the Beachlands/Maraetai area so I got in the car and drive there....as I drove through beautiful countryside I knew it was a lovely place to be. I went into the local Barfoot and Thompson and spoke to the rental agent there who said she just had a nice house coming up for rental in a couple of weeks. I drive past it and it looked nice. We looked round it 2 days later and decided to take it. Its 5 mins walk from 2 beaches...and has 180 degrees sea view from the decking. Lovely!! We had to give notice at the old house in Wattle Downs but I felt I had something to look forward to and started to cheer up. Every couple of days my car seemed to drive me out to Beachlands...down to the toddler park on Sunkist Bay...I started meeting some friendly mums there and felt it would really be a nice place to live.

So 2 weeks later I am loving it here....I hated Auckland...I really did. but this is a world away yet only 20 minutes drive from outskirts of the city. I have Manukau and Botany shopping centres within 20 mins drive. I have the beautiful views and beaches. I now take my toddler to playgroup in Maraetai twice a week and to a singing/music group here in Beachlands. We are joining the boating club down on the sea front and went there last night for sunday roast. Everyone is so friendly...people keep introducing themselves... its great....what a nice place to live!!

I miss my parents so much I still cry now and then. I only have to see something emotional on TV and sometimes its sets me off. Luckily they ring me every week at the weekend...my dad says "good morning" to me and I say "Good evening" back to him....lol.

So things are looking up...we are already talking about the possibility of maybe buying a house here in Beachlands...who knows. We said we'll think about it for a year first before we sell up in the UK...and we will stick to that...just to make sure.

Yes we find things expensive here....we are on tank water so have to think about water everytime we use it. I'm still a bit lonely but starting to make friends. I miss my horse...my friends...and specially my family but now I'm online things will get easier. My OH gets back from work a lot later than he did in the UK but hes getting used to the motorway and the awful driving! lol Yes it really can be that bad!! lol

Every morning I just stand and stare at the views we have. We seem to be surrounded by islands and they are so beautiful. We never saw the sea in the UK. This place is truly beautiful but things wont all be a bed of roses when you first arrive here...please be prepared...its hard work, frustrating....expensive to buy things.... you will be homesick...... is it worth it? Ask me in a few months time! I just know that I am living in a beautiful village with the friendliest people here with the most stunning views.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:06 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on our move

Hi Sarah

Well, sounds like you've found a great place to live, started making friends and got broadband too - perfect!!! Seriously, I know you were finding it hard at first but it really does sound like you are much happier now and I'm so pleased for you...long may it continue...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:47 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB

Got broadband today so finally I can mail everyone back at home and talk in messenger and I'm so pleased about it.

Well, been here a few weeks now. Arrived in NZ on 12th June. Stayed with my OH's boss for first 2 weeks. Then moved into a house in Wattle Downs which is near Manurewa. We decided after 2 days of being there that it wasnt for us...I could never see myself settling there and I was totally miserable there and hardly stopped crying...I also wanted to get on the next plane going back to UK!!

Somebody told us to go look in the Beachlands/Maraetai area so I got in the car and drive there....as I drove through beautiful countryside I knew it was a lovely place to be. I went into the local Barfoot and Thompson and spoke to the rental agent there who said she just had a nice house coming up for rental in a couple of weeks. I drive past it and it looked nice. We looked round it 2 days later and decided to take it. Its 5 mins walk from 2 beaches...and has 180 degrees sea view from the decking. Lovely!! We had to give notice at the old house in Wattle Downs but I felt I had something to look forward to and started to cheer up. Every couple of days my car seemed to drive me out to Beachlands...down to the toddler park on Sunkist Bay...I started meeting some friendly mums there and felt it would really be a nice place to live.

So 2 weeks later I am loving it here....I hated Auckland...I really did. but this is a world away yet only 20 minutes drive from outskirts of the city. I have Manukau and Botany shopping centres within 20 mins drive. I have the beautiful views and beaches. I now take my toddler to playgroup in Maraetai twice a week and to a singing/music group here in Beachlands. We are joining the boating club down on the sea front and went there last night for sunday roast. Everyone is so friendly...people keep introducing themselves... its great....what a nice place to live!!

I miss my parents so much I still cry now and then. I only have to see something emotional on TV and sometimes its sets me off. Luckily they ring me every week at the weekend...my dad says "good morning" to me and I say "Good evening" back to him....lol.

So things are looking up...we are already talking about the possibility of maybe buying a house here in Beachlands...who knows. We said we'll think about it for a year first before we sell up in the UK...and we will stick to that...just to make sure.

Yes we find things expensive here....we are on tank water so have to think about water everytime we use it. I'm still a bit lonely but starting to make friends. I miss my horse...my friends...and specially my family but now I'm online things will get easier. My OH gets back from work a lot later than he did in the UK but hes getting used to the motorway and the awful driving! lol Yes it really can be that bad!! lol

Every morning I just stand and stare at the views we have. We seem to be surrounded by islands and they are so beautiful. We never saw the sea in the UK. This place is truly beautiful but things wont all be a bed of roses when you first arrive here...please be prepared...its hard work, frustrating....expensive to buy things.... you will be homesick...... is it worth it? Ask me in a few months time! I just know that I am living in a beautiful village with the friendliest people here with the most stunning views.
Hi Sarah
So glad to hear from you again. It sounds like with the new move things are slowly looking up for you. Love the sound of the views from your house which must be a real treat for you after not living near the sea before.
Happy to hear that you have found a group to go with your little one. Hopefully you will soon make some good friendships that will help ease the pain of your homesickness. Isnt the world of the internet a wonderful thing. I know its not the same as being with them & seeing them when you want to but it should help a little. I know I couldnt live without my contact on the net with my family back at home.
Keep your chin up girl & hopefully each day may get a little better.
For now though it sounds as thought your doing much better so keep at it & keep in touch. Its nice to get your updates.

Hugs
Shepslady
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:01 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sarah, so pleased for you, you sound so happy. Can you post any pictures of that wonderful view?
Jan
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:48 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah,

Great to hear your news, and that you are feeling so much happier. You really have come a very long way in such a short space of time!

Look forward to hearing more about your adventures soon.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:24 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget you can also catch the ferry from Beachlands into Auckland CBD... we lived not far from there and yes it is a truly wonderful place.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah
just wanted to add our pleasure at hearing things are improving for you - really felt for you at the start when you were finding it so difficult but as the saying goes - location location location!
Vicki
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take my son over to the CBD on the ferry soon scottish. Ive got the timetable already...looking forward to it.

My batteries are in the charger to go into my digi camera this afternoon..... gonna take some pics for you all to see.

Gotta go now as Ive got addicted to Big Brother!!! lol See you cant even escape it over here!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:51 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take my son over to the CBD on the ferry soon scottish. Ive got the timetable already...looking forward to it.

My batteries are in the charger to go into my digi camera this afternoon..... gonna take some pics for you all to see.

Gotta go now as Ive got addicted to Big Brother!!! lol See you cant even escape it over here!!
Sarah - really pleased that you're so much more settled. Fantastic news! My journey has just begun - arived in AKL last night so off to explore today. If you fancy a coffee drop me a PM.

Take care
Mike
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:10 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Sarah - really pleased that you're so much more settled. Fantastic news! My journey has just begun - arived in AKL last night so off to explore today. If you fancy a coffee drop me a PM.

Take care
Mike

Hey Biddy so nice to know you have arrived safely.

Wishing you a most enjoyable time exploring, have fun mate .

Cheers

Cindy
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:15 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hey Biddy so nice to know you have arrived safely.

Wishing you a most enjoyable time exploring, have fun mate .

Cheers

Cindy
Will do Cindy! If I can get away from the computer!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Beauty Sarah! Good to see you are starting to settle and have found the right place.

Regards