British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Update on dodgy house buyers! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/update-dodgy-house-buyers-493405/)

kato33 Nov 12th 2007 2:54 pm

Update on dodgy house buyers!

Just to update, it seems to have gone from bad to worse.

I had a call last Monday evening asking us to drop the price by 1500 quid as they had a shortfall. Well as you can imagine, we accepted as we did not want to forget our dream of adventure and new beginnings.
Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty. Something is definately not right about this so I told them where to go basically. They had already gone missing for 3 weeks prior to the first call and only then did they call us after a deadline was given to get things moving.

Gutted cannot describe how we feel at the moment. I have not been on the forums until today as the pressure is so immense. Just when you think its all going smoothly someone pulls the rug from under you.

So, as we stand, we don't know whats happening nor whether we have sold or not. But I won't give up and will keep pressing on until we book those flights for NZ.

ballsrburning Nov 12th 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Update on dodgy house buyers!

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5545378)

I had a call last Monday evening asking us to drop the price by 1500 quid as they had a shortfall. Well as you can imagine, we accepted as we did not want to forget our dream of adventure and new beginnings.
Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty. Something is definately not right about this so I told them where to go basically. They had already gone missing for 3 weeks prior to the first call and only then did they call us after a deadline was given to get things moving.

Gutted cannot describe how we feel at the moment. I have not been on the forums until today as the pressure is so immense. Just when you think its all going smoothly someone pulls the rug from under you.

So, as we stand, we don't know whats happening nor whether we have sold or not. But I won't give up and will keep pressing on until we book those flights for NZ.

that certainly sounds like a con to me, agent must be an arse to think you would do that, they should tell the buyer to pss off, on your behalf.

littleal Nov 12th 2007 4:32 pm

I know it's hard Nici, when it seems so close, but I agree they are not to be trusted. Stand your ground - if they're genuine, they'll find the cash. Otherwise keep it on the market and let other people view it.

Good luck
Alison

karonious Nov 12th 2007 4:50 pm

Keep at it Nici - things will eventually come together. Like you said, keep chasing that dream....
Hoping things work out for you,
Karen X

Maz Nov 12th 2007 5:00 pm

Bloody hell, I would tell them to take a running jump! What next, they want you to pay for their move? Geez... :rolleyes:

Chin up!

planty Nov 12th 2007 5:17 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about the hell your going through, you can offer to instruct your solicitor to pay the 1500 for stamp duty on completion of the sale. So that shouldn't hold anything up at all.

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 6:15 pm

Sorry to hear this and i wish my thoughts on your sellers had not come to be true but lets all hope that people who are out to con you are replaced by some genuine buyers......even if this takes a while to achieve.

It'll happen for in the end i'm sure.

ned Nov 12th 2007 7:05 pm

If I win the lottery on Wednesday I'll give you the full asking price just to Piss Them Off :confused:

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by planty (Post 5545958)
Hi, sorry to hear about the hell your going through, you can offer to instruct your solicitor to pay the 1500 for stamp duty on completion of the sale. So that shouldn't hold anything up at all.

Its a con in some way.....WALK AWAY.......I know its difficult because you see the sale leading to NZ but you will regret dealing any further with these people if you try to, is the feeling i get, based on your experience of the 'sale' to them so far.

You can offer to pay part of their deposit on completion only, but i would bet all that money on some decent odds they'll disappear again.

Your agent must be a complete muppett or desperate for their fee to continue to consider these people as 'buyers'?.....:thumbdown:

Its a difficult time selling at the moment it seems but hang in there i'm sure a 'proper' buyer will come along in the end.

Might be worth a change of agent to..........just a thought.

happynz Nov 12th 2007 7:49 pm

Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty.

Your alleged buyers are scam artists, no doubt about it.

Something is definitely not right about this so I told them where to go basically.

Good. Get another agent if the one you have is too dense to recognise an obvious con job.

Switch agents and make sure you get a firm that is a bit more clued up on what goes on in the world.

Good luck.

jill1420 Nov 12th 2007 8:27 pm

Nici,

Im wishing your luck changes very soon and you get to NZ in January as Im still hoping me Alan and kids can bunk at yours.:rofl:.

Keep us updated..............Jill x:thumbup:

UKNZAUS Nov 12th 2007 8:58 pm

I would call the police and see if you can get this recorded now ... you're not stupid enough to fall for it but I can guarantee someone out there WILL fall for it :( Just say to them that you want to know if there is anything you can do... I'm sure they will help all they can

BEVS Nov 12th 2007 9:28 pm

All of this ,from start to end ,stinks like a dead fish. It's a scam which may involve the agent.

WALK AWAY.

Contact the oea without fail about this and tell them what has happened . This could stop others from being led down this path.

Get yourself another Estate Agent and have the property re-marketed .

It must be so upsetting and feel like a huge set-back but you will arrive here in the end KATO and , hopefully, with all the hard earned equity intact.

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 10:04 pm

Just to point out, despite the fact i think your 'buyers' are con artists who you should cease any dialogue with, it is possible to do a gifted deposit with a potential buyer and this can attract people who are otherwise maybe struggling to get a deposit together.

Might be worth thinking about it with future 'potential buyers' or even offering it as an incentive to people you get through the door on viewings?

hillcat Nov 12th 2007 10:05 pm

what evil ***** to do that to you. if it helps, our buyers wanted in before christmas. We explained we had no where to go and flights not booked til Jan 16. they agreed to complete early Jan. Had answerphone message from sols saying they wanted completion date of 21 Jan but they hadn't even had theire mortgage offer yet.Nightmare, am panicking they won't be able to afford it or something stupid. Am pushing sols to exchange contracts the minute they get mortgage offer signed. At least that way, they'll have to pay me 10% if they pull out. Really feel for you, keep yer chin up, I'm sure it'll come right in the end.

TeamEmbo Nov 13th 2007 1:40 am

Don't fall for it! I know it is really hard when you just want the house sold so you can get your money and get over here and start your new longed for life. But don't be had over. Sounds like they'll take the 1500 and walk.

Our buyers messed us around for weeks and although desperate to get the money released (we needed the house sale money to come over to) my OH bit the bullet and said enough! At the beginning of yet another week of no exchange he told the agent and solicitors that if we hadn't exchanged by 12 noon on that Friday he was putting it back on the market with another agent.

It was a risk but we weren't prepared to fart arse around any longer.

Anyway, they pulled their finger out and we got the exchange 10am that Friday and their deposit money was held by the solicitor (theirs not ours). So we could then go ahead and book the flights etc.

It is ok to say NO!!!!

KIRSTIE Nov 13th 2007 8:04 am

Hi nici

i would also defo walk away, there will be a genuine buyer who will come along, also like other people have mentioned get another agent, but i have never heard of anyone asking for money. and with you saying that they went missing, can you not do a search to see if you can find the solicitors who is representing them, and if things dont seem right, the report to the police, i know that you really want to get to NZ but is it really worth losing your house etc, instead of just waiting for a few months, and you might even get more money for it.

good luck with it all and i am sending some karma your way,

with regards

kirstie

kato33 Nov 13th 2007 8:24 am

Originally Posted by planty (Post 5545958)

I spoke to my solicitors last night who suggested just that. Give us the funds less £1500 upon completion and that way they get their money cash.

Still not quite sure how it is all going to work nor even sure they will want this but sod the gits hey!!
I will take the advice been given on here and tell the agent to exchange by a certain date or we will pull out. Also I like the one with the "other interested parties" bit. That may get them to kick ass if I threaten to go with someone else.

Jill1420.........If your coming to stay, I will make it for Jan, somehow.
Ned.........I think I love you for that offer.
Hillcat.........fingers crossed for you.
To everyone else......cheers for the advice

My other concern is that I didn't think you paid Stamp duty on a property under £250,000.
I have sold mine for £171,000 so can anyone enlighten me or are they lying as we suspected??

Nici

mickey_d Nov 13th 2007 8:51 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5548691)

My other concern is that I didn't think you paid Stamp duty on a property under £250,000.
I have sold mine for £171,000 so can anyone enlighten me or are they lying as we suspected??

Nici

1% will have to be paid:thumbup:

kato33 Nov 13th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 5548786)
1% will have to be paid:thumbup:

That makes sense now then......cheers for that. At least we now know they are not completely telling fibs.

Nici

teambwr47 Nov 13th 2007 6:47 pm

UK stamp duty rates and banding

kato33 Nov 14th 2007 8:21 am

Got a call this morning from the buyer at 7.30am :blink:

She is now telling me she has the funds and asked when I want to complete....................:eek:

EVERYONE.....COME ON .......FINGERS, TOES, EYES CROSSED FOR US!!

Ozzidoc Nov 14th 2007 8:28 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5552726)

She is now telling me she has the funds and asked when I want to complete....................:eek:

All crossed!!!! x

karonious Nov 14th 2007 11:14 am

Oh Nici, I so want this to happen for you :cool:

suzi n steve Nov 14th 2007 1:20 pm

I've got everything crossed that could possibly crossed for you. Sending you karma.... well I would if I spread it around a bit, ooooer.

Animal Crackers Nov 14th 2007 4:24 pm

Oh fingers crossed hun that this time they go through with it!! I don't know how you have kept your head:thumbsup:

Kerrygold Nov 14th 2007 6:57 pm

With great respect to everyone who has responded, don't withdraw and don't give any deadlines for exchange unless you are sure you fully intend to pull the plug, if they don't meet your deadline. Cutting your nose off to spite your face springs to mind.

If you are prepared to proceed on the basis of a reduction in the purchase price, you simply need to agree to make an allowance to the buyers on completion for this sum. This arrangement is quite common in the conveyancing process. Allowances for repairs etc.

I suspect the reason your buyers need "cash" is that if you reduce the purchase price their mortgage lender may need to issue a new mortgage offer to them. Thereby delaying the process further. I believe your Estate Agent simply doesn't understand the process.

It's always infuriating when a transaction reaches a late stage and buyer's try to take advantage of your situation for their own benefit but in the current market, and if you can afford to make the allowance, you would be best advised to stick with them.

In my experience imposing deadlines are only ever advised if you are adamant that you will wait no longer. Once you have issued one and that date passess, the buyer's will not take seriously any further deadlines you attempt to impose.

Unless your Estate Agent is one of the many few who really understand the process, bypass them and speak to your solicitor. They should explain the process to you and give advice. They are acting in your best interest and would certainly not advise you to do anything which was potentially fraudulant or detremental to your sale.

Best regards and good luck.

:)

luvwelly Nov 15th 2007 7:09 am

Hope it works out for you but would advise you not to consider it sold (ie do not book flights) until completion and until the funds are safely in your bank account.....exchange may not be sufficiently firm given the history of the transaction to date.

Maz Nov 15th 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5556936)
Hope it works out for you but would advise you not to consider it sold (ie do not book flights) until completion and until the funds are safely in your bank account.....exchange may not be sufficiently firm given the history of the transaction to date.

ITA!

Actually I'm expecting to read in the international headlines that they robbed a bank to "miraculously" come up with the cash. ;) Just kidding. Well sort of. :p

But everything is crossed for you, Nic!!! :wub: