British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Update on dodgy house buyers! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/update-dodgy-house-buyers-493405/)

kato33 Nov 12th 2007 2:54 pm

Update on dodgy house buyers!

Just to update, it seems to have gone from bad to worse.

I had a call last Monday evening asking us to drop the price by 1500 quid as they had a shortfall. Well as you can imagine, we accepted as we did not want to forget our dream of adventure and new beginnings.
Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty. Something is definately not right about this so I told them where to go basically. They had already gone missing for 3 weeks prior to the first call and only then did they call us after a deadline was given to get things moving.

Gutted cannot describe how we feel at the moment. I have not been on the forums until today as the pressure is so immense. Just when you think its all going smoothly someone pulls the rug from under you.

So, as we stand, we don't know whats happening nor whether we have sold or not. But I won't give up and will keep pressing on until we book those flights for NZ.

ballsrburning Nov 12th 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Update on dodgy house buyers!

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5545378)

I had a call last Monday evening asking us to drop the price by 1500 quid as they had a shortfall. Well as you can imagine, we accepted as we did not want to forget our dream of adventure and new beginnings.
Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty. Something is definately not right about this so I told them where to go basically. They had already gone missing for 3 weeks prior to the first call and only then did they call us after a deadline was given to get things moving.

Gutted cannot describe how we feel at the moment. I have not been on the forums until today as the pressure is so immense. Just when you think its all going smoothly someone pulls the rug from under you.

So, as we stand, we don't know whats happening nor whether we have sold or not. But I won't give up and will keep pressing on until we book those flights for NZ.

that certainly sounds like a con to me, agent must be an arse to think you would do that, they should tell the buyer to pss off, on your behalf.

littleal Nov 12th 2007 4:32 pm

I know it's hard Nici, when it seems so close, but I agree they are not to be trusted. Stand your ground - if they're genuine, they'll find the cash. Otherwise keep it on the market and let other people view it.

Good luck
Alison

karonious Nov 12th 2007 4:50 pm

Keep at it Nici - things will eventually come together. Like you said, keep chasing that dream....
Hoping things work out for you,
Karen X

Maz Nov 12th 2007 5:00 pm

Bloody hell, I would tell them to take a running jump! What next, they want you to pay for their move? Geez... :rolleyes:

Chin up!

planty Nov 12th 2007 5:17 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about the hell your going through, you can offer to instruct your solicitor to pay the 1500 for stamp duty on completion of the sale. So that shouldn't hold anything up at all.

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 6:15 pm

Sorry to hear this and i wish my thoughts on your sellers had not come to be true but lets all hope that people who are out to con you are replaced by some genuine buyers......even if this takes a while to achieve.

It'll happen for in the end i'm sure.

ned Nov 12th 2007 7:05 pm

If I win the lottery on Wednesday I'll give you the full asking price just to Piss Them Off :confused:

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by planty (Post 5545958)
Hi, sorry to hear about the hell your going through, you can offer to instruct your solicitor to pay the 1500 for stamp duty on completion of the sale. So that shouldn't hold anything up at all.

Its a con in some way.....WALK AWAY.......I know its difficult because you see the sale leading to NZ but you will regret dealing any further with these people if you try to, is the feeling i get, based on your experience of the 'sale' to them so far.

You can offer to pay part of their deposit on completion only, but i would bet all that money on some decent odds they'll disappear again.

Your agent must be a complete muppett or desperate for their fee to continue to consider these people as 'buyers'?.....:thumbdown:

Its a difficult time selling at the moment it seems but hang in there i'm sure a 'proper' buyer will come along in the end.

Might be worth a change of agent to..........just a thought.

happynz Nov 12th 2007 7:49 pm

Then out of the blue on wednesday I recieve another call from the agent telling me the buyer now wants this money in cash to pay the stamp duty.

Your alleged buyers are scam artists, no doubt about it.

Something is definitely not right about this so I told them where to go basically.

Good. Get another agent if the one you have is too dense to recognise an obvious con job.

Switch agents and make sure you get a firm that is a bit more clued up on what goes on in the world.

Good luck.

jill1420 Nov 12th 2007 8:27 pm

Nici,

Im wishing your luck changes very soon and you get to NZ in January as Im still hoping me Alan and kids can bunk at yours.:rofl:.

Keep us updated..............Jill x:thumbup:

UKNZAUS Nov 12th 2007 8:58 pm

I would call the police and see if you can get this recorded now ... you're not stupid enough to fall for it but I can guarantee someone out there WILL fall for it :( Just say to them that you want to know if there is anything you can do... I'm sure they will help all they can

BEVS Nov 12th 2007 9:28 pm

All of this ,from start to end ,stinks like a dead fish. It's a scam which may involve the agent.

WALK AWAY.

Contact the oea without fail about this and tell them what has happened . This could stop others from being led down this path.

Get yourself another Estate Agent and have the property re-marketed .

It must be so upsetting and feel like a huge set-back but you will arrive here in the end KATO and , hopefully, with all the hard earned equity intact.

teambwr47 Nov 12th 2007 10:04 pm

Just to point out, despite the fact i think your 'buyers' are con artists who you should cease any dialogue with, it is possible to do a gifted deposit with a potential buyer and this can attract people who are otherwise maybe struggling to get a deposit together.

Might be worth thinking about it with future 'potential buyers' or even offering it as an incentive to people you get through the door on viewings?

hillcat Nov 12th 2007 10:05 pm

what evil ***** to do that to you. if it helps, our buyers wanted in before christmas. We explained we had no where to go and flights not booked til Jan 16. they agreed to complete early Jan. Had answerphone message from sols saying they wanted completion date of 21 Jan but they hadn't even had theire mortgage offer yet.Nightmare, am panicking they won't be able to afford it or something stupid. Am pushing sols to exchange contracts the minute they get mortgage offer signed. At least that way, they'll have to pay me 10% if they pull out. Really feel for you, keep yer chin up, I'm sure it'll come right in the end.