Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Update on dodgy house buyers!

Update on dodgy house buyers!

Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:40 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on dodgy house buyers!

Don't fall for it! I know it is really hard when you just want the house sold so you can get your money and get over here and start your new longed for life. But don't be had over. Sounds like they'll take the 1500 and walk.

Our buyers messed us around for weeks and although desperate to get the money released (we needed the house sale money to come over to) my OH bit the bullet and said enough! At the beginning of yet another week of no exchange he told the agent and solicitors that if we hadn't exchanged by 12 noon on that Friday he was putting it back on the market with another agent.

It was a risk but we weren't prepared to fart arse around any longer.

Anyway, they pulled their finger out and we got the exchange 10am that Friday and their deposit money was held by the solicitor (theirs not ours). So we could then go ahead and book the flights etc.

It is ok to say NO!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

Hi nici

i would also defo walk away, there will be a genuine buyer who will come along, also like other people have mentioned get another agent, but i have never heard of anyone asking for money. and with you saying that they went missing, can you not do a search to see if you can find the solicitors who is representing them, and if things dont seem right, the report to the police, i know that you really want to get to NZ but is it really worth losing your house etc, instead of just waiting for a few months, and you might even get more money for it.

good luck with it all and i am sending some karma your way,

with regards

kirstie
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
Hi, sorry to hear about the hell your going through, you can offer to instruct your solicitor to pay the 1500 for stamp duty on completion of the sale. So that shouldn't hold anything up at all.
I spoke to my solicitors last night who suggested just that. Give us the funds less £1500 upon completion and that way they get their money cash.

Still not quite sure how it is all going to work nor even sure they will want this but sod the gits hey!!
I will take the advice been given on here and tell the agent to exchange by a certain date or we will pull out. Also I like the one with the "other interested parties" bit. That may get them to kick ass if I threaten to go with someone else.

Jill1420.........If your coming to stay, I will make it for Jan, somehow.
Ned.........I think I love you for that offer.
Hillcat.........fingers crossed for you.
To everyone else......cheers for the advice

My other concern is that I didn't think you paid Stamp duty on a property under £250,000.
I have sold mine for £171,000 so can anyone enlighten me or are they lying as we suspected??

Nici
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33

My other concern is that I didn't think you paid Stamp duty on a property under £250,000.
I have sold mine for £171,000 so can anyone enlighten me or are they lying as we suspected??

Nici
1% will have to be paid
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
1% will have to be paid
That makes sense now then......cheers for that. At least we now know they are not completely telling fibs.

Nici
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

UK stamp duty rates and banding
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Got a call this morning from the buyer at 7.30am

She is now telling me she has the funds and asked when I want to complete....................

EVERYONE.....COME ON .......FINGERS, TOES, EYES CROSSED FOR US!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

She is now telling me she has the funds and asked when I want to complete....................

All crossed!!!! x
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Nici, I so want this to happen for you
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

I've got everything crossed that could possibly crossed for you. Sending you karma.... well I would if I spread it around a bit, ooooer.

Last edited by suzi n steve; Nov 14th 2007 at 1:20 pm. Reason: karma spreading
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Oh fingers crossed hun that this time they go through with it!! I don't know how you have kept your head

Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

With great respect to everyone who has responded, don't withdraw and don't give any deadlines for exchange unless you are sure you fully intend to pull the plug, if they don't meet your deadline. Cutting your nose off to spite your face springs to mind.

If you are prepared to proceed on the basis of a reduction in the purchase price, you simply need to agree to make an allowance to the buyers on completion for this sum. This arrangement is quite common in the conveyancing process. Allowances for repairs etc.

I suspect the reason your buyers need "cash" is that if you reduce the purchase price their mortgage lender may need to issue a new mortgage offer to them. Thereby delaying the process further. I believe your Estate Agent simply doesn't understand the process.

It's always infuriating when a transaction reaches a late stage and buyer's try to take advantage of your situation for their own benefit but in the current market, and if you can afford to make the allowance, you would be best advised to stick with them.

In my experience imposing deadlines are only ever advised if you are adamant that you will wait no longer. Once you have issued one and that date passess, the buyer's will not take seriously any further deadlines you attempt to impose.

Unless your Estate Agent is one of the many few who really understand the process, bypass them and speak to your solicitor. They should explain the process to you and give advice. They are acting in your best interest and would certainly not advise you to do anything which was potentially fraudulant or detremental to your sale.

Best regards and good luck.

Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it works out for you but would advise you not to consider it sold (ie do not book flights) until completion and until the funds are safely in your bank account.....exchange may not be sufficiently firm given the history of the transaction to date.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:18 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Hope it works out for you but would advise you not to consider it sold (ie do not book flights) until completion and until the funds are safely in your bank account.....exchange may not be sufficiently firm given the history of the transaction to date.
ITA!

Actually I'm expecting to read in the international headlines that they robbed a bank to "miraculously" come up with the cash. Just kidding. Well sort of.

But everything is crossed for you, Nic!!!