Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Unfamiliar Expressions

Unfamiliar Expressions

Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unfamiliar Expressions

Originally Posted by nero
Money for jam - getting $$ for a simple act (easy money)
Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I didn't realise that money for jam was just another way of saying money for old rope.
Money for jam is as English as, I remember saying it for Africa when I was growing up (in England)
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've never heard of 'money for jam'. I've heard of something being for 'old rope' and the 'for Africa'

I always thought the 'for Africa' meant lots & the 'old rope' meant easy
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I've heard some that seem pretty strange to me.

Just now on the Dominion Post I've seen the following two used in headlines

Stoush (had to Google it, it means disagreement/fight)
A couple of Kiwis I work with claimed to have never heard the word.

Jumped the Shark
From Wikipedia:

So not a Kiwi expression but not one I've heard before!
I've looked through the rest of this thread and most of the sayings or phrases are familiar and not unique to NZ.

However, "Stoush" is very similar to the word "Stooshie" in common use in Scotland (especially the West of Scotland). I googled it and the NZ and Australian version were mentioned. Here is the link:

Useful Scots word: stooshie - The Caledonian Mercury
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:03 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Chur!

Urban Dictionary: chur

Random!
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

calrossi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good as good, tickety boo, served a growling
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

bogan - never heard of it until a week or so ago

I do find it strange that they put - ie on the end of things
Bikie gang - my term would be Hells Angel and all that goes with that title - not just a biker
Boatie - someone on a boat

The Dub Dub Dub things just winds the guts out of me
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
I've looked through the rest of this thread and most of the sayings or phrases are familiar and not unique to NZ.
Quite right, however it's just the amount of airtime that some of these words and phrases get is extraordinary - some of those that grate and jar the teeth like 'dayboo' and dub dub dub are likely more noticeable.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Make a bluey = make a mistake
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:30 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unfamiliar Expressions

I also hear many phrases from the Bullsh*t Bingo card at work

"Getting our ducks in a row", for example.

"Covering things off" in a meeting always sounds funny.

And "Dealing to" a problem does my head in
The one I hear a lot is "Downpacked" usually accompanied by a hand motion although the speaker where trying to shove a reluctant kitten into a small invisible box.

"Dealing to..." seems to warrant the question "...by knife or gun?"
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

"Joker"

I associate it with playing cards or someone who is a bit of a wit or like to play a baffoon.

Here it means a man.

A neighbour used this regularly when talking about a bloke up the road. For ages I didn't get it at all. The bloke is very dour and if he cracked a smile his face would fall off, yet she called him a joker .
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unfamiliar Expressions

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
My husband and I are grammar Nazi's. We're the armed offenders squad of the grammar police !
Really?? You might wanna take a look at that apostrophe then!

My faves are:

"you might wanna..."
"snarky"
to give someone "the bash"

and "hard-case" doesn't mean the same here as in England.

I also enjoy how everything is described and measured using rugby terms. Count how many times you hear that something is the size of x rugby pitches, for instance.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:32 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

"Rattle your dags"
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

"Rattle your dags"
what on earth does that mean?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
what on earth does that mean?

Hurry up!

Although have never heard anyone say it in real life in NZ - I always thought it was more of an Aussie thing.

It's hosing it down this arvo - for real.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

The one I find amusing is the use of the word "Manchester" to refer to bedding and linens.

I understand how the term came about, but it still makes me smile when I see or hear it being used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.