Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Under 9s football Christchurch

Under 9s football Christchurch

Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of
Default Under 9s football Christchurch

We are coming over to Christchurch on Friday for a 2 week recci and for my husband to attend interviews.

My 8 year old is now starting to worry about leaving his football team when we come over permanently. He plays once a week and also trains mid week and is football mad! Does anyone know of any local teams who will be playing or training on 21 June in Christchurch that we can come and watch to assure him football does happen in NZ and he would be able to join a league and training squad when we come over.

He is going to watch England vs All Blacks on 21 June in Christchurch with my husband and already follows the Canterbury Crusaders - but football is still the number 1 love!

Many thanks
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:31 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Under 9s football Christchurch

Originally Posted by Suzbits
We are coming over to Christchurch on Friday for a 2 week recci and for my husband to attend interviews.

My 8 year old is now starting to worry about leaving his football team when we come over permanently. He plays once a week and also trains mid week and is football mad! Does anyone know of any local teams who will be playing or training on 21 June in Christchurch that we can come and watch to assure him football does happen in NZ and he would be able to join a league and training squad when we come over.

He is going to watch England vs All Blacks on 21 June in Christchurch with my husband and already follows the Canterbury Crusaders - but football is still the number 1 love!

Many thanks
Dont know much info about the soccer, you will learn to use that phrase as thats what the Kiwi's call it, but I will say we are going through abit of a cold spell so make sure you bring your woolley jumpers....Good luck with the interviews!!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:04 pm
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

Hi Our house backs on to a playing field, and every saturday morning footie is on of all ages, here it goes on what year at school your in so they have many under 8 teams as well as over 8's. My kids are also footie mad and if you would like would probably be more than welcome to go and kick a ball around with your son. I know footie is part of my families life too,especially my eldest, life without football would be no life at all lol they still get up early hours of the morning to watch united play....anyway like i said you could come and have a coffee and stay warm while the kids go watch the footie, our back garden gate literally takes you out onto the park or they could watch from the boys bedroom window ...but what fun would that be lol email me if you would like to meet up
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:40 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Soccer is really popular with kids. At least it is in Wellington, I can't imagine it being *that* different in Christchurch - even though they are even more rugby mad!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks
Here you go

http://www.mainlandsoccer.co.nz/
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the info, this is definately helping to put his mind at rest.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Thanks for all the info, this is definately helping to put his mind at rest.
Hi

We had a good recci of the NI, especially BOP and HB, and the football was up to a good standard with some up to acadamy type teams with mainly UK coaches. I am a FA level 1 coach so I know what to look for, we were really worried for our 11 year old who lives for football.

As it happened the NI didn't jump out at us so we are now looking at ChCh!!
It all looks pretty good on the web and if your son has ability he will always be snapped up by the better teams.

Good Luck with ChCh

Keep in touch with any info.

Cheers Jads
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jads
Hi

We had a good recci of the NI, especially BOP and HB, and the football was up to a good standard with some up to acadamy type teams with mainly UK coaches. I am a FA level 1 coach so I know what to look for, we were really worried for our 11 year old who lives for football.

As it happened the NI didn't jump out at us so we are now looking at ChCh!!
It all looks pretty good on the web and if your son has ability he will always be snapped up by the better teams.

Good Luck with ChCh

Keep in touch with any info.

Cheers Jads
Hi Jads.
The junior soccer season basically runs from April to October.I don't beleive the standard of soccer is anywhere near the UK but then I live in Nelson which is not as big as CHCH.i to am a FA level 1 coach but so far am not able to manage a team over here as most training happens after school and i am not able to get off work in time .IMO from experience the urgency and the know how is just not here.Don't get me wrong there are some good players out here but I feel the wholre set up is very relaxed.I took my training very seriously and that what the parents wanted.The things they get away with in soccer are a joke.My sons team are uctually 10 th grade but play up a grade in the 11 th because they are to good for the 10th.There coach is pretty good but he is a dutchman so he is famliliar with European standards.Then we have one of the mums who is the manager and she makes the subs every 5 mins and has a stop watch running .2 on 2 off no matter how they playing.coach does'nt have a say.Then we got the managers husband the fitness coach who makes them run round the field for 15 mins before training no stretches nothing just running.Come matchday considering they play for 1 hour what does he do make them run round the pitch twice.again no stretghing.I dont know when you did your course but i Know thats not beneficial to kids .to many cooks
Anyway thats about it.
cheers
Paul