Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UKP to NZD exchange rate

UKP to NZD exchange rate

Old Jul 17th 2016, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default UKP to NZD exchange rate

Another off topic(ish) musing.

Pre Brexit vote the exchange rate was pretty strong; say about 2.2 NZD to 1 UKP. [Been up around 2.4 at times.]

If you were in the throes of moving (or preparing to apply) you would have done your rough calculations and looked at housing you might be able to afford.

Post Brexit vote the exchange rate has tanked to around 1.8 NZD to 1 UKP. [At one point it was significantly lower.]

As a simple illustration, if you thought you would be taking £200,000 UKP equity out of your house to use as a deposit, then the value would have gone from:

200,000 * 2.2 = 440,000 NZD
200,000 * 1.8 = 360,000 NZD
Difference = 80,000 NZD

At some point a drop in the the exchange rate could destroy the whole financial basis of the move.

Has anyone encountered this problem and had to change plans accordingly?
Old Jul 17th 2016, 6:44 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKP to NZD exchange rate

You will find that everyone of us has been through the exchange rate shuffle when coming here and a lot are still doing it and we still moan and loose....but never seem to win !
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

It certainly has hammered us but it wont stop us from making the move, will just mean we can't buy property immediately when we arrive but something to be said for getting the lay of the land before we settle down.

The real pain is the fact it cost us 3nzd to buy 1gbp when we came over and now 1.8gbp gets us 1nzd, its harsh but what can you do, all part of the rich tapestry of life lol
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:13 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The rate is back to April 2013 when we were trying to make sense of cash moving...
Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2011 when we moved here it was down in the 1.80's, thankfully we didn't have much money so it didn't really bother us. Why it would stop someone moving here that has a big chunk of money is beyond me.

Moving to NZ is financial suicide anyway so whatever you do it'll cost you a fortune.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

It's not been financial suicide for me. I am better paid and have more savings than I ever did in the UK.

One plus side is if you have any debt in the UK (Student Loans etc) now is a good time to pay that off. I have and feel much better for it.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:14 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate was a factor in me not selling my house but renting it out when I moved here in 2011. When I did eventually sell, I got a much better rate, but also made a significant capital gain. Under the current circumstances I would probably wait until it improved a bit. If anything it may be more a case of the NZD coming down - it's pretty high right now because it's perceived to be a safe currency compared to others.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:39 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UKP to NZD exchange rate

Think of how much more you'll earn when you are employed here.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Think of how much more you'll earn when you are employed here.
I expect to be long term unemployed

However I haven't even checked if there are any restrictions on ones right to work on a Parents' Visa.

Fortunately my pension is enough (with a little bit of a margin) to qualify under the rules for guaranteed income, but I had a moment's worry until I worked out what the exchange rate would have to go down to before we no longer qualified.

For others closer to the limit, there must be a point where a smaller drop in the exchange rate reduces income below the set limit. When I filled in the form for income I used the exchange rate current at the time, and did wonder how they handled changes in exchange rate. They can't really chuck you out after granting a visa if your income falls due to exchange rate fluctuation (can they?).

This is partly what prompted this thread.