Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK working holiday scheme??

UK working holiday scheme??

Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK working holiday scheme??

My partner and I are hoping to relocate to New Zealand. Im a fully qualified gas engineer have had my qualifications assessed by the new zealand gas board but up to now have been unable to gain a job offer so was considering travelling over and knocking on doors. Although a friend mentioned about trying the working holiday scheme as my OH is under 30 so she qualifies for this option and can apply for 23 month stay. Can I join join her on this option and look for work too or do I still have to travel over as a 6 month tourist option???
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK working holiday scheme??

Its for the applicant only.

How old are you? I think if you apply before your 31 you will get it. Needs checking though. I would recommend it as well. Thats what I did and things are progressing nicely at the moment
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rason
Its for the applicant only.

How old are you? I think if you apply before your 31 you will get it. Needs checking though. I would recommend it as well. Thats what I did and things are progressing nicely at the moment
Unfortunately im 34 so Im too old just wondered as my OH was under 30.
Oh well suppose I better go book a flight and start knocking doors.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

I came out with a WHV and no job, as you said knocked doors bagged myself a decent job with an excellent company and currently waiting for my WTR visa to come back

So it is possible. My experience is that you wont find a job in NZ (or very difficult) without being there unless you have residency or are a Dr/Nurse etc.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rason
I came out with a WHV and no job, as you said knocked doors bagged myself a decent job with an excellent company and currently waiting for my WTR visa to come back

So it is possible. My experience is that you wont find a job in NZ (or very difficult) without being there unless you have residency or are a Dr/Nurse etc.
Thats really good news hope the WTR visa comes through soon for you. I was just pricing up flights to come out in november and found a couple of reasonable ones with Royal Brunei. How long was you planning staying there to look for work, although I know with a WHV you get longer than the standard 6months visiting visa. I was thinking of coming over for 3wks to start with and see how I get on. If need be I can move my return date albeit with a slight fee. I have also been told it is cheaper to get the meds, xrays and bloods done there do you agree??? I have already put my police check in so hopefully that will be back soon
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

I came for a year. WHV would allow me to get a bar job or whatever to see me through.
I would honestly give it as long as you can afford to.
What visa are you planning on going for?
Is it not on the Skills shortage list?

You need to get a list of people you want to get in front of, names and numbers and then call them to arrange a meeting, take them out for a Coffee is what I did you will get a load of rubbish but if one comes through then thats all you need.

I would also look at the accredited employers list too because get a job with them and that makes it easier. So target those guys first otherwise the non accredited will probably (in my experience) put you in the too difficult box.

Yes def get your medical stuff done here, half price no waiting. Any Dr over here can do them. Quaymed in Auckland CBD did mine. I recommend as they have everything on site. $450 i think

drop me a PM if you want
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are coming out to NZ on the job hunt , make it November time and not into December if you can.
December time is busy work wise as firms look to complete on contracts etc, but it is also when trade firms are starting to wind up for the long Christmas /New Year shut-down.

Have you had any luck with interest ?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you are coming out to NZ on the job hunt , make it November time and not into December if you can.
December time is busy work wise as firms look to complete on contracts etc, but it is also when trade firms are starting to wind up for the long Christmas /New Year shut-down.

Have you had any luck with interest ?
hey bevs yes Im about to book flights for November. I did have one phone interview with a gas company in Wellington. They said get your quals assessed by the PGDB and the would be a job there for me. However It took so damn long for the PGDB to process me ( I had to keep chasing them and they even sent me an email that said this is how you apply after they had taken my money!!) Anyway eventually got the ok from them got back in touch with said company and they had stopped taking on but I have kept in touch with them and they may have a contract linked to christchurch quake soon so I shall email them and a couple of others before I leave to see if I can meet up with them.