UK vs NZ

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:03 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice
Default UK vs NZ

I've been back in the UK for 3 weeks after 8 years' living in NZ. It's a bit weird being back as some kiwi traits have rubbed off on me.

Some findings.

1) I have become more reserved. Brits now seem lary and apt to 'big themselves up', whereas the low-key Kiwi approach to life has rubbed off on me a bit. They are also more open about themselves. E.g. I know my Landlord's entire history after 3 weeks.
2) UK is as dirty as ever.
3) Newspapers here are brilliant
4) I'm never bored.
5) I've forgotten rugby exists.
6) Brits don't mind moaning, long, and frequently, about anything and everything.
7) Brits are incredibly friendly compared to Kiwis. I'm amazed how much easier it is to strike up conversations, how good service is etc
8) There's so much going on here.
9) Recession is shit.
10) coffee is absolute shite here. Costa now do 'flat whites' which are totally shit.
11) Brit TV is superb.
12) Houses are warm in the winter. I've noticed that Brits like the temperature inside about 20+ degrees ,which leaves you sweaty cos you're freezing outside after wearing big coats, but inside it's like the tropics...
13) Brits still seem obsessed with class. What kind of car you drive, what school you went to, what your job is, how you speak, etc...

Last edited by dytopia; Apr 3rd 2010 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:02 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs NZ

All of the reasons we want out!....but for the Rugby....can't stand that soccer....not a mans game!

Last edited by Stormer999; Apr 3rd 2010 at 7:07 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

NodrogUK is an unknown quantity at this point

It's interesting reading a posting about 'the other way around' to those that I've looked at.
Some observations (that maybe show how subjective we all are):
1) Interesting that many people think of Brits as reserved but you've noticed that Kiwi's are even more so;
2) UK IS as dirty as ever - couldn't agree more (My walk from home to the local town - about 1 mile - is strewn with litter: it makes me mad!);
3) I can't agree that newspapers that lie, fabricate stories, exaggerate and then complain that we over-react (e.g. winter weather recently), feed on sleaze, rave about so called 'celebrities' and then rip them to shreds when they reveal their human weaknesses, etc, etc, are brilliant!
4) Reading NZ forums, it's easy to get the impression that you're less likely to be bored over there, so this is really interesting;
5) I haven't - I've just forgotten what a successful national rugby team looks like!
6) They certainly can moan, and moan, and moan...It's a national obsession (but acting on the points they moan about isn't a strong point!);
7) I've read/heard such contradictory things about Kiwi friendliness I honestly don't know what to think. There seems to be a complete dichotomy from 'extremely open and friendly' to 'totally ignorant';
8) There is a lot going on in the UK - not all good;
9) I haven't been affected by it, really;
10) Coffee is very expensive here;
11) Brit TV is very mixed - rubbish abounds but there are some outstanding programmes;
12) We are very wasteful of energy when it comes to heating - visiting friends' houses is like entering a tropical country;
13) Yes - it's not something I have any interest in but you are defined by job and possessions. Brands are an obsession for many. Women in particular seem determined to follow the American trait of looking like minor 'celebrities' at all times. Consumerism drives the economy.
I'd be interested to know where you've moved to in the UK though. Maybe living in the north east has insulated me from the worst excesses (i.e. London's influence) of this country.
In case you're wondering (and you're probably not!) I am considering a spell in NZ but am not convinced (yet) that it will be my long-term future.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Hazey will become famous soon enoughHazey will become famous soon enough

I sometimes think that if I could roll the two countries together I could make one prefect one Have fun being home
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dytopia View Post
I've been back in the UK for 3 weeks after 8 years' living in NZ. It's a bit weird being back as some kiwi traits have rubbed off on me.

Some findings.

1) I have become more reserved. Brits now seem lary and apt to 'big themselves up', whereas the low-key Kiwi approach to life has rubbed off on me a bit. They are also more open about themselves. E.g. I know my Landlord's entire history after 3 weeks.
2) UK is as dirty as ever.
3) Newspapers here are brilliant
4) I'm never bored.
5) I've forgotten rugby exists.
6) Brits don't mind moaning, long, and frequently, about anything and everything.
7) Brits are incredibly friendly compared to Kiwis. I'm amazed how much easier it is to strike up conversations, how good service is etc
8) There's so much going on here.
9) Recession is shit.
10) coffee is absolute shite here. Costa now do 'flat whites' which are totally shit.
11) Brit TV is superb.
12) Houses are warm in the winter. I've noticed that Brits like the temperature inside about 20+ degrees ,which leaves you sweaty cos you're freezing outside after wearing big coats, but inside it's like the tropics...
13) Brits still seem obsessed with class. What kind of car you drive, what school you went to, what your job is, how you speak, etc...

I am never bored in NZ. But then I guess we have different needs. I am probably much older than you. Mind you I am one of those people who never ever get bored....anywhere. The Uk was never ever boring. I don't think Palmerston North or NZ are boring either. There is always too much to do. I felt this way before having kids. Kiwi TV is utter utter shite..beyond belief. An NZ house can be warm..simply install CH and D/Glazing. We did, it is. I find kiwis way more friendly on a superficial basis..try to get to know them...yeah right! There is very little litter in NZ..the UK was full of it aye? I think the Uk is an awesome country for all its faults..like NZ with all ikts faults. The biggest difference is space and quality of life. In the UK there is little space due to the huge population. Crowds abound in the UK. NZ is empty apart from ChCh Well and Auck. In the UK we were not that well off. In NZ we are considerably better off even having lost $100k to the 'robbing' finance cos. The main reason for the being better off is because the house in NZ cost half what we sold the one in the UK for. Which was nice.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Most of people (Brits) I know who are happy/content with their life in Nz - mostly settled and have their own family. least have partners if not kids. think it makes big difference. I just don't know who's single Brit (around me)? I don't see any. but there must be some tho. But if you are young and single then more likely to go back home.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 3rd 2010 at 10:12 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the never being bored thing about the uk.
definatedly not enough to do down here.
People waffle on about lovely scenery and beaches but the beaches
are very average on the whole and when you get to them there is nothing
there but average beach and scruffy scrub bush.
we usually go over to the mount which is nice but the rest are not worth the journey

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 4th 2010 at 6:40 am.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:05 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think in Genesi's words "space and quality of life" weighs everything us for us. The UK does have a few remaining pockets of peaceful areas to live in but you are restricted to within them or join the mass movement. Snowdon early March and the mountain resembled an ant hill of people trying to find "space". The authorities have started paving the slopes like all of our other mountains to try to combat the millions of feet trying to find tranquility. The Lakes in summer months are unbelievably overcrowded and over trodden.
Fishing is terribly expensive and having to be intensively managed. We are supersaturated even in sardine proportions in areas. Every shop offers the same clothing product "Made in PCR" including M&S. We discard and waste mountains of food due to cheap supermarket tastelessness. Road travel is simply a joke where our M'ways are suffering "wave traffic stoppages" (shear volume causes all traffic to come to a halt in a wave effect). Switch on the TV and receive 6 minutes of programme followed immediately by 6 minutes of advertising and the a resume of what happened in the first programme 6 minutes! Yes the houses are warm hence why we have exhausted cheap North sea gas, watch the temperatures drop as imported gas prices start to zoom! Look at any area for litter around the fast food drive ins all printed with a large 'M' on the wrapping......goes hand in hand yes!
Boredom, loneliness, I think I am ready to try. Mix 4 million people with 60 million and NZ would gain 28 million inhabitants and the 'benefits' that go with them!....No thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by colandros View Post
Totally agree with the never being bored thing about the uk.
definatedly not enough to do down here.
we usually go over to the mount which is nice but the rest are not worth the journey
we have not made the move just yet, so i am just imagining what it will be like...
i find boredom in the UK usually is a result of the bad weather. there are things to do, but when cold, wet and miserable you just dont feel like braving the elements. Also, we live at least an hours drive from the nearest beach... and that is NOT a nice beach anyway!
It probably depends what you are into. we like the outdoors kind of life.. hiking, camping, cycling, surfing, swimming etc.... which in the UK you can perhaps manage a few days of the year.
so we're hoping boredom will not be a NZ thing for us!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:45 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post, your coffee comments made me chuckle, it seems to REALLY bother you!

As for things to do in the UK, for where I live (Liverpool) there is not much to do for us!
Yes it has some things to do and for tourists coming for a visit plenty to do... but having lived here for 21 yrs we have pretty much exhausted all it has to offer!
We have travelled to other parts in the UK for wkends away etc but as Matt&Jax commented, the weather is normally crap so its trudging around in big coats, wellies, gloves and a brolly - not much fun!

Our weekends usually consist of going to Asda, the cinema or the pub - not much of a life in our opinion! And evenings after work we usually go for a walk around the local neighbourhood (for a little exercise and to get out the house for a bit), dodging litter and crossing the street to avoid gangs of lads dressed all in black trying to be gangsters!

I'm glad some of your comments were positive for both UK and NZ, as someone said, maybe if we could take a bit of each and merge it would be 'perfect'!

We are heading out to start our new life in NZ in 10 weeks and can't wait for a bit of change - change for the better!

Think I will miss Asda though...

Good luck Dytopia!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
I think in Genesi's words "space and quality of life" weighs everything us for us. The UK does have a few remaining pockets of peaceful areas to live in but you are restricted to within them or join the mass movement. Snowdon early March and the mountain resembled an ant hill of people trying to find "space". The authorities have started paving the slopes like all of our other mountains to try to combat the millions of feet trying to find tranquility. The Lakes in summer months are unbelievably overcrowded and over trodden.
Fishing is terribly expensive and having to be intensively managed. We are supersaturated even in sardine proportions in areas. Every shop offers the same clothing product "Made in PCR" including M&S. We discard and waste mountains of food due to cheap supermarket tastelessness. Road travel is simply a joke where our M'ways are suffering "wave traffic stoppages" (shear volume causes all traffic to come to a halt in a wave effect). Switch on the TV and receive 6 minutes of programme followed immediately by 6 minutes of advertising and the a resume of what happened in the first programme 6 minutes! Yes the houses are warm hence why we have exhausted cheap North sea gas, watch the temperatures drop as imported gas prices start to zoom! Look at any area for litter around the fast food drive ins all printed with a large 'M' on the wrapping......goes hand in hand yes!
Boredom, loneliness, I think I am ready to try. Mix 4 million people with 60 million and NZ would gain 28 million inhabitants and the 'benefits' that go with them!....No thanks.
You remind me why I left the ridiculously crowded British Isles.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by colandros View Post
And that for me is what is so wonderful. There are no huge car parks charging 75 pounds a minute and the throngs of humanity that have come in said motor cars. There are no Mr Whippy trucks selling everything but TVs, there are no cafes and no shops selling ye olde plastic buckets and spades and obligatory fishing net. What more could anyone want? Sand, dunes, the sea and not much else..sound perfect. Would you like a amusement park then/ And the weather does not bother me either. Rain shine or wind..its always awesome in my eyes. Maybe I am just easily pleased by the simple things in life..maybe thats why NZ works so well for me.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

I went over to Riversdale and Castlepoint yesterday for a spot of surfing and was warned by several Kiwi work colleagues the place would be 'packed to the rafters on Easter weekend'.
Whilst enroute I was imagining the scenes when I lived back in the UK of Fistral Beach in Newquay on August bank holiday weekend, 30+ people all scrambling for the same wave and fights in the line up between locals and tourists.
When I arrived the surf was good and as I didnt really want to drive back to Wellington that night I thought I'd try my luck and see if there was a pitch available on the campsite at Castlepoint. 'Yeah sure not a problem' came the reply from the friendly lady behind the desk. I got a pitch for my campervan right on the foreshore. The place was full compared to the last time I went but nothing like a UK campsite.

So how many people were on the beach? I'd say around 60 at most and I counted 5 people surfing.

It's NZ for me anyday of the week.

#edit# and the scenery on the way there and back was stunning (as always) #edit#
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:41 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazey View Post
I sometimes think that if I could roll the two countries together I could make one pefect one Have fun being home
I like that thought.

The best bits of both.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:19 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Re: UK. I am fortunate I have an NZ passport....that's all im saying! I can move back to NZ anytime, which gives me a sense of freedom. I'd hate to think I was trapped here. There is heaps about the UK I like. There is also shitloads I don't like.

Like the orange people in tracksuits...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.