British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK v NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-v-nz-333814/)

dave n ness Oct 26th 2005 9:10 pm

UK v NZ?

Hi everyone,
EOI selected from the pool(only submitted it sunday) writing this out after a few too many glasses of wine (to celebrate of course! :p ) even after the negative responses we read on the forum we are still looking forward to going to NZ(hopefully)!! Everyone is entilted to their veiws "good or bad"! but lets concentrate on the UK for a bit? Cost of living (moan)house prices(moan)
recent riots, shootings and stabbings (moan)over crowding (moan) illegal imigrants(moan) i could go on............ Is NZ such a bad place to live, I think not?
Yours positivley
Dave n Ness :D

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 10:15 pm

Re: UK v NZ?

Originally Posted by dave n ness
Hi everyone,
EOI selected from the pool(only submitted it sunday) writing this out after a few too many glasses of wine (to celebrate of course! :p ) even after the negative responses we read on the forum we are still looking forward to going to NZ(hopefully)!! Everyone is entilted to their veiws "good or bad"! but lets concentrate on the UK for a bit? Cost of living (moan)house prices(moan)
recent riots, shootings and stabbings (moan)over crowding (moan) illegal imigrants(moan) i could go on............ Is NZ such a bad place to live, I think not?
Yours positivley
Dave n Ness :D

Hi Dave n Ness,

Answer is, no-where is perfect (unfortunately).

There are loads of crappy things about the UK I totally agree with you, but after (trying) to live in NZ I recon the UK is better... (mad eh?).

:scared:

K9s Oct 26th 2005 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Debs70
Hi Dave n Ness,

Answer is, no-where is perfect (unfortunately).

There are loads of crappy things about the UK I totally agree with you, but after (trying) to live in NZ I recon the UK is better... (mad eh?).

:scared:

Debs

If I gave you a million pound :scared: where would you rather live NZ or UK

hypothetically speaking

K9

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by K9s
Debs

If I gave you a million pound :scared: where would you rather live NZ or UK

hypothetically speaking

K9

The absolute truth? the UK.. without even pausing to think about it.

dave n ness Oct 26th 2005 10:27 pm

Hello Debs ,
Thanks for the reply, hope you don't mind us being nosey but why did you come back to the UK?
regards Dave n Ness

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 10:34 pm

Hello Debs ,
Thanks for the reply, hope you don't mind us being nosey but why did you come back to the UK?
regards Dave n Ness

Be as nosey as you like :D think most people on here know me and my story (and love me dearly :D ).

We loved loads about NZ but just could not survive financially.. was a nightmare tbh, and we also got pissed off with the cold houses :( we just felt like we'd stepped back to the fifties in terms of quality of housing and heating etc. and we were just too wimpy to put up with it (the kiwi's are hard).

We hated having to budget all the time for food shopping (so depressing) when you haven't had to do that previsouly, it's a bit crap isn't it?

We wanted another baby but had to be realistic and realise we had no chance of feeding another one! :scared:

It was just like stepping back in time in terms of luxuries in life. I totally appreciate the kiwi way and how they make do and mend and all that, but that's the way my mum lived and she hated it, so why should I enjoy all that? the lack of central heating and double glazing in the houses in the South is pathetic to be honest! and I met real life kiwi's who also agreed with that (but they'd emmigrated to North Island :D ).

Basically, we came back because we earnt too little money, got sick and tired of the work involved in keeping warm and we just felt too far away from civilisation.

dave n ness Oct 26th 2005 10:56 pm

Be as nosey as you like :D think most people on here know me and my story (and love me dearly :D ).

We loved loads about NZ but just could not survive financially.. was a nightmare tbh, and we also got pissed off with the cold houses :( we just felt like we'd stepped back to the fifties in terms of quality of housing and heating etc. and we were just too wimpy to put up with it (the kiwi's are hard).

We hated having to budget all the time for food shopping (so depressing) when you haven't had to do that previsouly, it's a bit crap isn't it?

We wanted another baby but had to be realistic and realise we had no chance of feeding another one! :scared:

It was just like stepping back in time in terms of luxuries in life. I totally appreciate the kiwi way and how they make do and mend and all that, but that's the way my mum lived and she hated it, so why should I enjoy all that? the lack of central heating and double glazing in the houses in the South is pathetic to be honest! and I met real life kiwi's who also agreed with that (but they'd emmigrated to North Island :D ).

Basically, we came back because we earnt too little money, got sick and tired of the work involved in keeping warm and we just felt too far away from civilisation.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time, its nice to talk to somebody who has actually( done it)we are a bit green!! We are looking to go to the south island with myself, hubby and two children(13/9 year old boys)the reason i suppose is because we've heard how expensive north island is.Where abouts did you live? I can see were you are coming from were the houses are concerned, there certainly nothing like we have here in the UK! Most of the complaints people seem to have are financial ,is it really as bad as people say?
What did you like about NZ?
Kind regards
Dave n Ness

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 11:07 pm

I'm sorry you had such a hard time, its nice to talk to somebody who has actually( done it)we are a bit green!! We are looking to go to the south island with myself, hubby and two children(13/9 year old boys)the reason i suppose is because we've heard how expensive north island is.Where abouts did you live? I can see were you are coming from were the houses are concerned, there certainly nothing like we have here in the UK! Most of the complaints people seem to have are financial ,is it really as bad as people say?
What did you like about NZ?
Kind regards
Dave n Ness

Oh God, don't be sorry, we are well over it now.. but thanks for your kind thoughts.

South Island is utterly beautiful if you like the scenery aspect of NZ.. the skiing etc. and the mountains.. OMG they are to die for.. North Island is rubbish in comparison.. but anyway, we lived in Dunedin and it's a lovely city but very cold and all the kiwi's will confirm this.

Financially, lets just put it this way.. my partner earned $36,400 per annum in NZ which gave him a take home pay of $570 (ish) we had a mortage and 2 kids and absoluately could not work with this figure.

We have come back home and (granted) he has stepped up in his carreer and got a workshop controllers position, in charge of 18 people!!! and is earning well over £30K. It was a disaster for us to move there becaiuse the wages were so poor.

Also, my OH who is a skilled vehicle technician (mechanic) was treated like a dogsbody for the whole time he worked there.. he valeted cars day in, day out which was soul destroying for him (he's proved now that he can be a boss by coming home and taking over a huge workshop).

So you see, we found that his experience and commitment meant nothing over there. He went from garage to garage trying to get a better rate of pay but found every single garage paid the same!!! (unheard of here).. we were going no-where fast!

What did we like about NZ? probably just the scenery and the schooling and that's it unfortunately :( and that doesn't keep you going does it?

melting pot Oct 26th 2005 11:08 pm

yes me too, would love to hear your story...as long as iyou dont mind going over hot coals again...

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by melting pot
yes me too, would love to hear your story...as long as iyou dont mind going over hot coals again...

Cross posted :D :cool: