UK TV in NZ

Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK TV in NZ

I know I should know the answer to this but I don't hence the question

We have a UK TV which Phillips tell us will work in NZ. We have just received our TV after its lovely trip across the sea, we can get sound and really poor quality pictures. We are putting the TV through a UK video and yes it is connected to an outside TV ariel - what are we doing wrong?

Would it help if we had a Kiwi video and recorder?

Or better still if we had a Kiwi 'Freeview' box?

Any ideas would be warmly welcome. We can watch DVDs and Videos for the moment but we do not have a great collection and we coulg get bored quite quickly.

Thanks

Nero
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK TV in NZ

Originally Posted by nero

We have a UK TV which Phillips tell us will work in NZ. We have just received our TV after its lovely trip across the sea, we can get sound and really poor quality pictures. We are putting the TV through a UK video and yes it is connected to an outside TV ariel - what are we doing wrong?

Any ideas would be warmly welcome. We can watch DVDs and Videos for the moment but we do not have a great collection and we coulg get bored quite quickly.

Thanks

Nero
We had to get a Kiwi freeview box to get the bog standard 4 channels! Can only watch our UK DVD's and Videos on our UK equipment.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:54 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Dare I say that you can turn off the TV and try doing a crossword, listen to the radio, read a book, send the bloke out to the shed, have sex...

Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Nero

Our TV is Phillips, worked perfect once hooked through a kiwi video.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Nero

When we arrived in Auckland, we bought a NZ TV but picture from normal TV Aerial was rubbish, ended up getting Sky, good picture but nothing to watch!!!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
When we arrived in Auckland, we bought a NZ TV but picture from normal TV Aerial was rubbish, ended up getting Sky, good picture but nothing to watch!!!
P.S. that's why we're on here every night
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

What's the picture quality like with a Kiwi freeview box? TV reception was very patchy on our reccy, but I'm not sure that I want Sky.

Thanks
Alison
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:59 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by littleal
What's the picture quality like with a Kiwi freeview box? TV reception was very patchy on our reccy, but I'm not sure that I want Sky.

Thanks
Alison
All the signals in NZ are pretty shocking throgh a normal roof ariel. If TV is a big part of your evenings than freeview or sky is the way to go.
We moved 2k from one side of the bay to the other and can get two more channels than before ;-)
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:51 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Check your TVs PAL settings. I can't quite remember what OH said at the mo, but I'll check with him later. It's something like UK uses PAL 5.5 and NZ uses PAL 6.5. If you can re-tune you TV to that PAL setting you'll get picture and sound. But like I said, I'll check those PAL settings with OH as I may have them wrong.

We were able to re-tune our small LCD TV that we used to use in our caravan and that works fine through a normal aerial. Our big/main TV, although only 12 months old, couldn't be re-tuned, but we have that running through Sky now anyway so it works out. The only reason we have Sky is for the kids Disney channels and the endless repeats of That's so Raven, The Suite Life, etc., and for us to watch the F1. However, the kids hardly watch any of the programmes they used to; should I say they hardly ever watch tv at all now. And we've gone from UK coach potatoes endlessly flicking through 900 boring channels each evening, to actually switching off our tv and going and doing something less boring instead!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:01 pm

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Check your TVs PAL settings. I can't quite remember what OH said at the mo, but I'll check with him later. It's something like UK uses PAL 5.5 and NZ uses PAL 6.5. If you can re-tune you TV to that PAL setting you'll get picture and sound. But like I said, I'll check those PAL settings with OH as I may have them wrong.

We were able to re-tune our small LCD TV that we used to use in our caravan and that works fine through a normal aerial. Our big/main TV, although only 12 months old, couldn't be re-tuned, but we have that running through Sky now anyway so it works out. The only reason we have Sky is for the kids Disney channels and the endless repeats of That's so Raven, The Suite Life, etc., and for us to watch the F1. However, the kids hardly watch any of the programmes they used to; should I say they hardly ever watch tv at all now. And we've gone from UK coach potatoes endlessly flicking through 900 boring channels each evening, to actually switching off our tv and going and doing something less boring instead!
Thanks for that ;-)

Tv was bought in NZ so it must be the big hills around wellington that distrorts the signal. We did bring our freeviewbox from the uk but it wont tune in at all ;-(

Thankfully we dont watch much TV other than an hour or two in the evening before we all head off to bed. I would get sky only for the Moto GP which I do miss and the geograpghy/wildlife channels.
good luck with the disneychannel ... lol
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:11 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

our freeview box didn't work either. Can you get a booster for your aerial?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:32 pm

Thumbs up Re: UK TV in NZ

We are a rented house for at least 18 months. I havent found a job yet but I think I may persuade hubby into sky when I do.

With any luck my enormous collection of films and cd's will arrive from the uk soon. Why did I pack my coldplay cd's i will never know.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
our freeview box didn't work either. Can you get a booster for your aerial?
You need a device of some sort that has an AV output, Scart or component video.
The coaxial input on your UK telly won't work here.

Try a cheap video player or dvd player from Kmart before you get Freeview or Sky.
We got a multi region DVD player for about $50 which plays all our UK stuff.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:58 am
TeamEmbo

[QUOTE=sammymac;5283377]...The coaxial input on your UK telly won't work here.[QUOTE]

is that for using the uk freeview here or just in general, as the aerial input works fine on the small LCD tv we have managed to tune to the right PAL setting.

We unlocked our UK DVD player before we left by looking up on the internet the unlock code so it is now multi regional
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammymac
You need a device of some sort that has an AV output, Scart or component video.
The coaxial input on your UK telly won't work here.

Try a cheap video player or dvd player from Kmart before you get Freeview or Sky.
We got a multi region DVD player for about $50 which plays all our UK stuff.
sorry but that is not quite true - as has been said before if your TV will tune to the corrrect channels and has PAL-G then you are OK - our 36" tosh CRT is the dogs danglies even though the signal is poo!
So you have to get over the rubbish reception and poor aerials using the analogue terrestrial system (that is due to go digital next year) - our aerial signal booster helps but not a massive amount.
Digital satellite "freeview" is available via quite a few suppliers - just <search> these forums or others dealing with matters ex-Pat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.