Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Uk State Pension Ripoff

Uk State Pension Ripoff

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Martin Snow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk State Pension Ripoff

i became eligible for my state pension last October, and received a letter from the Uk telling me I would receive £49 a week, around one third the full amount. It turns out HMRC has lost nearly all my tax return records as a freelancer, which indicate I have fully paid up my NI contributions over my working life. Thanks to the NZ rules, I am receiving the full Superannuation, but I am still unhappy with my treatment by the UK. I wrote to complain last year, attaching some of my tax return records as proof, and asked for a mandatory reconsideration.. It took the uk pension department five months to reply, and they said it’s not their problem, as they are working from info given them by HMRC. I wrote back asking for a direct contact so I could pursue the matter and have heard nothing since.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have you managed to get fair treatment? Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk State Pension Ripoff

If you will not receive any more money why are you bothering. Seems you are simply creating a stressfull situation for no reason at all.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
If you will not receive any more money why are you bothering. Seems you are simply creating a stressfull situation for no reason at all.
I imagine that they are protecting the interest of the New Zealand taxpayer (which is many of us) by seeking to ensure that the UK government contributes as much as it should. In fact - I am angry about this now, where can I complain?
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy View Post
I imagine that they are protecting the interest of the New Zealand taxpayer (which is many of us) by seeking to ensure that the UK government contributes as much as it should. In fact - I am angry about this now, where can I complain?
I'm sure Princess Jacinda would be delighted to hear from you, You may even get a sympathetic and sincere hug which will make everything alright
Old Aug 7th 2019, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
I'm sure Princess Jacinda would be delighted to hear from you, You may even get a sympathetic and sincere hug which will make everything alright

hugs and buzz words solve everything, apparently
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin Snow View Post
i became eligible for my state pension last October, and received a letter from the Uk telling me I would receive £49 a week, around one third the full amount. It turns out HMRC has lost nearly all my tax return records as a freelancer, which indicate I have fully paid up my NI contributions over my working life. Thanks to the NZ rules, I am receiving the full Superannuation, but I am still unhappy with my treatment by the UK. I wrote to complain last year, attaching some of my tax return records as proof, and asked for a mandatory reconsideration.. It took the uk pension department five months to reply, and they said it’s not their problem, as they are working from info given them by HMRC. I wrote back asking for a direct contact so I could pursue the matter and have heard nothing since.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have you managed to get fair treatment? Thanks
Mine was a different problem to yours but it goes to show that the Pensions Office isn't interested in getting it right. That, it seems, is your /our problem. They got mine wrong for 11 years. At age 60 I had only paid NI contributions for the minimum qualifying period so my pension was very basic. What I didn't know was that I could have claimed pension based on my husband's lifetime contributions. They don't tell you this unless you ask. I don't remember how I discovered that fact but after making an application to have it reviewed my pension was doubled. Of course, they didn't back date it by 11 years but it was a fairly painless process to get the increase I was entitled to. My sister-in-law had a similar experience. Your case sounds more complicated . I hope you can find someone who can advise you.

Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

You should make contact with the International Pension Centre and then ask how to complain. See: https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre or for Complaints see: https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure

Best wishes.