British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Uk State Pension Ripoff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-state-pension-ripoff-926903/)

Martin Snow Aug 3rd 2019 1:59 am

Uk State Pension Ripoff

i became eligible for my state pension last October, and received a letter from the Uk telling me I would receive £49 a week, around one third the full amount. It turns out HMRC has lost nearly all my tax return records as a freelancer, which indicate I have fully paid up my NI contributions over my working life. Thanks to the NZ rules, I am receiving the full Superannuation, but I am still unhappy with my treatment by the UK. I wrote to complain last year, attaching some of my tax return records as proof, and asked for a mandatory reconsideration.. It took the uk pension department five months to reply, and they said it’s not their problem, as they are working from info given them by HMRC. I wrote back asking for a direct contact so I could pursue the matter and have heard nothing since.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have you managed to get fair treatment? Thanks

Justcol Aug 3rd 2019 10:25 am

Re: Uk State Pension Ripoff

If you will not receive any more money why are you bothering. Seems you are simply creating a stressfull situation for no reason at all.

Clappy Aug 5th 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12718309)
If you will not receive any more money why are you bothering. Seems you are simply creating a stressfull situation for no reason at all.

I imagine that they are protecting the interest of the New Zealand taxpayer (which is many of us) by seeking to ensure that the UK government contributes as much as it should. In fact - I am angry about this now, where can I complain?

Justcol Aug 7th 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12718970)
I imagine that they are protecting the interest of the New Zealand taxpayer (which is many of us) by seeking to ensure that the UK government contributes as much as it should. In fact - I am angry about this now, where can I complain?

I'm sure Princess Jacinda would be delighted to hear from you, You may even get a sympathetic and sincere hug which will make everything alright

A4Ron Aug 7th 2019 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12719887)
I'm sure Princess Jacinda would be delighted to hear from you, You may even get a sympathetic and sincere hug which will make everything alright

:rofl:

hugs and buzz words solve everything, apparently

jayandbill Aug 13th 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Martin Snow (Post 12718226)
i became eligible for my state pension last October, and received a letter from the Uk telling me I would receive £49 a week, around one third the full amount. It turns out HMRC has lost nearly all my tax return records as a freelancer, which indicate I have fully paid up my NI contributions over my working life. Thanks to the NZ rules, I am receiving the full Superannuation, but I am still unhappy with my treatment by the UK. I wrote to complain last year, attaching some of my tax return records as proof, and asked for a mandatory reconsideration.. It took the uk pension department five months to reply, and they said it’s not their problem, as they are working from info given them by HMRC. I wrote back asking for a direct contact so I could pursue the matter and have heard nothing since.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have you managed to get fair treatment? Thanks

Mine was a different problem to yours but it goes to show that the Pensions Office isn't interested in getting it right. That, it seems, is your /our problem. They got mine wrong for 11 years. At age 60 I had only paid NI contributions for the minimum qualifying period so my pension was very basic. What I didn't know was that I could have claimed pension based on my husband's lifetime contributions. They don't tell you this unless you ask. I don't remember how I discovered that fact but after making an application to have it reviewed my pension was doubled. Of course, they didn't back date it by 11 years but it was a fairly painless process to get the increase I was entitled to. My sister-in-law had a similar experience. Your case sounds more complicated . I hope you can find someone who can advise you.

chc4me Aug 14th 2019 11:51 pm

You should make contact with the International Pension Centre and then ask how to complain. See: https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre or for Complaints see: https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure

Best wishes.