Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Southwest meet Sun 22nd May near Salisbury - anyone interested ?

UK Southwest meet Sun 22nd May near Salisbury - anyone interested ?

Old May 18th 2005, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

debnjohn will become famous soon enough
Default UK Southwest meet Sun 22nd May near Salisbury - anyone interested ?

Hello everyone (I hope this is allowed)
I've arranged a get-together this Sunday for folks considering/in the process of emigrating to NZ. We had a meeting last month, with seven families turning up. There was a real mix of experiences there, ranging from those who had never been to NZ, to those who were emigrating '2nd time round'. Two of the families have since emigrated.
Nothing special is planned, it's just an informal friendly meeting of like-minded folk. It's a good way to share information & common experiences (e.g. we will be bringing property mags from my reccie to Christchurch earlier this month).

If anyone is interested, we are having another meeting this month, at The Pheasant Inn near Salisbury. We met there last time and found the pub to be child-friendly (with a nice outdoor play area if weather permits), good reasonably-priced food and plenty of free parking. The pub does a Sunday roast for £6.95 (adult) and £3.75 (child), along with other standard pub fare.

The location of the Pheasant Inn can be seen on this map (it's marked as the Pheasant Hotel):

Map to pub

So far we have seven families intending to come along; Deb and I will be there to meet people from 1pm or possibly earlier. Most people arrived early afternoon last time, and started to depart about 5pm.
If you have any questions please feel fee to PM me or post them here.

Hope to see you there,
John.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:01 am
Franklin

Default Re: UK Southwest meet Sun 22nd May near Salisbury - anyone interested ?

That's so funny, your map shows where I used to work - I did a stint at CAMR (sort of seconded from Bath University, I needed a level of containment not available at Bath Uni) ... CAMR is/was near Porton Village ... ahhh memories ... but I heard that CAMR had changed its spots (something that seems to happen at lot at this microbiology lab) and is now called by another name.

Originally Posted by debnjohn
I've arranged a get-together this Sunday for folks considering/in the process of emigrating to NZ. We had a meeting last month, with seven families turning up. There was a real mix of experiences there, ranging from those who had never been to NZ, to those who were emigrating '2nd time round'. Two of the families have since emigrated.
Nothing special is planned, it's just an informal friendly meeting of like-minded folk. It's a good way to share information & common experiences (e.g. we will be bringing property mags from my reccie to Christchurch earlier this month).

If anyone is interested, we are having another meeting this month, at The Pheasant Inn near Salisbury. We met there last time and found the pub to be child-friendly (with a nice outdoor play area if weather permits), good reasonably-priced food and plenty of free parking. The pub does a Sunday roast for £6.95 (adult) and £3.75 (child), along with other standard pub fare.

The location of the Pheasant Inn can be seen on this map (it's marked as the Pheasant Hotel):

Map to pub

So far we have seven families intending to come along; Deb and I will be there to meet people from 1pm or possibly earlier. Most people arrived early afternoon last time, and started to depart about 5pm.

Hope to see you there,
John.

Old May 19th 2005, 8:46 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Map to pub

Hope to see you there,
John.
I cant make this one but would love to come to the next one!

Lucyb
Old May 19th 2005, 10:49 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
I cant make this one but would love to come to the next one!

Lucyb
Same here! Salisbury's less than an hour away - sounds great!
Old May 19th 2005, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biddy
Same here! Salisbury's less than an hour away - sounds great!
Lucy, will you be able to make this Sunday then? Or are you saying 'next time'?
Cheers,
John.
Old May 19th 2005, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucy, will you be able to make this Sunday then? Or are you saying 'next time'?
Cheers,
John.
Hi There Debnjohn,

I think this is a fabulous idea and Myself and Mrs. Chick will, in all probability, be there. Look forward to meeting you all. How will we know each other? Will we have to wear a carnation or something?

Regards
Old May 19th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi There Debnjohn,

I think this is a fabulous idea and Myself and Mrs. Chick will, in all probability, be there. Look forward to meeting you all. How will we know each other? Will we have to wear a carnation or something?

Regards
We have the bay-window area reserved (which overlooks the outdoor play area), and will be recognisable by the large pile of NZ paraphenalia. There are 8 families now interested, so unless you're the first at the pub (Deb & I will probably be there before 1pm) just head for the noisy crowd!
I can post an ID picture if you like!
Cheers,
John.
Old May 19th 2005, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

We have the bay-window area reserved (which overlooks the outdoor play area), and will be recognisable by the large pile of NZ paraphenalia. There are 8 families now interested, so unless you're the first at the pub (Deb & I will probably be there before 1pm) just head for the noisy crowd!
I can post an ID picture if you like!
Cheers,
John.
No worries. Don't worry about ID photos, I would feel compelled to send you some of myself and it'd scare you all away

See ya Sunday

I might wear a carnation anyway (Its a lovely corny cliche)