British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK Pension in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-pension-nz-919847/)

Reylan Dec 3rd 2018 3:31 am

UK Pension in NZ

I was already aware of this but does anyone know the reason why?

The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

mikemike Dec 3rd 2018 4:07 am

Re: UK Pension in NZ

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12603188)
I was already aware of this but does anyone know the reason why?

The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

Uk Gov says so is the bottom line. They are determined to cut costs and this is not new. I believe there are 17 countries that the Uk will pay index linked state pensions to.

The Uk Gov was taken to court over this and sadly the Court upheld the Uk gov position.

There will be a lot on google to find out more

chc4me Dec 3rd 2018 8:18 pm

Its due to the Reciprocal rights between the two Countries (UK/NZ). Under the Social Security agreement, pensioners have the choice to collect a pension from the local country. For example, if you are from the UK, and live in NZ, you can elect to receive your pension from the NZ Government and the NZ Government will pay you the NZ Superannuation payment, which does increase annually. Any payment due from the UK State Pension is paid to the NZ Govt instead (it helps to offset the Govts costs). You will then be in the same or a better position than a 'frozen' UK state pension. :)

Reylan Dec 4th 2018 3:19 am

Originally Posted by chc4me (Post 12603593)
Its due to the Reciprocal rights between the two Countries (UK/NZ). Under the Social Security agreement, pensioners have the choice to collect a pension from the local country. For example, if you are from the UK, and live in NZ, you can elect to receive your pension from the NZ Government and the NZ Government will pay you the NZ Superannuation payment, which does increase annually. Any payment due from the UK State Pension is paid to the NZ Govt instead (it helps to offset the Govts costs). You will then be in the same or a better position than a 'frozen' UK state pension. :)

Thank you chc4me, I knew that you could elect to receive one or the other but obviously had a senior moment and not realised the connection. 😳

scot47 Dec 4th 2018 12:57 pm

I was one of many members of a South-African based group who took legal action against the UK Governement. It went as far as the House of Lords. The Government won. Our pensioners' Group lost. Were we surprised ? No. "You can't fight City Hall !"

chc4me Dec 4th 2018 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12603864)
I was one of many members of a South-African based group who took legal action against the UK Government. It went as far as the House of Lords. The Government won. Our pensioners' Group lost. Were we surprised ? No. "You can't fight City Hall !"

Scot - Did you take the action because you were living in South Africa? Or some other reason?