Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK passport renewal from NZ

UK passport renewal from NZ

Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal from NZ

Originally Posted by jd426
If the fee is indeed set by the British High Commission, and I'm not sure that it is, then I think it would be a fair assumption that they were aided and abetted by a money grabbing Kiwi.
There's definitely a difference to the price charged over here.

If the High Commission sets the fee it should be about the same in Australia as it is in New Zealand to renew a British passport.

The fee here is $267.66, that's $344.36 New Zealand. Over there it's $390
even allowing for a difference in GST (if it's charged?) it's still markedly cheaper here.

Must be something to do with the cost of living? or perhaps you do pay a premium for being in NZ?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:11 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The Oz vs NZ price difference might just be down to the courier mechanism, as it is such a fast turnaround I bet they go to the UK in some form of daily shipment, and on average there are more from Oz than NZ so the per-passport courier cost is more in NZ....
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Are passports actually sent back to the UK?

We applied for our baby's first UK Passport last year, we posted the forms to Wellington and I'm sure we received the passport back just 2-3 days later (I did post up here about it at the time so that previous post of mine will reveal the exact timescale).

It is not in anyway possible that there was anything sent by courier to/from the UK in our case.

EDIT

I dug out the previous post... Passport received 4 working days after applying: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722125 - can't possibly have been back and to from the UK.

Last edited by thedtb; Mar 16th 2012 at 7:23 am.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:40 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Are passports actually sent back to the UK?

We applied for our baby's first UK Passport last year, we posted the forms to Wellington and I'm sure we received the passport back just 2-3 days later (I did post up here about it at the time so that previous post of mine will reveal the exact timescale).

It is not in anyway possible that there was anything sent by courier to/from the UK in our case.

EDIT

I dug out the previous post... Passport received 4 working days after applying: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722125 - can't possibly have been back and to from the UK.
Why not? Using the ANZ flight it would have 2 days and a night in the UK - either way the cost of doing it yourself is clearly part of the pricing.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonsi
Why not? Using the ANZ flight it would have 2 days and a night in the UK - either way the cost of doing it yourself is clearly part of the pricing.
Don't wish to split hairs but...

If what the lady in my local post office told me (that it wouldn't have left them until the Monday) was correct, it would have arrived with the Wellington office on Tuesday June 21st, this happens to be the exact same date shown as the date of issue on the passport and also the date that was shown on the envelope (sent from Wellington) as the date of posting the passport back to us...

They received our application and posted the passport back to us on the same day.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:17 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by thedtb
Don't wish to split hairs but...

If what the lady in my local post office told me (that it wouldn't have left them until the Monday) was correct, it would have arrived with the Wellington office on Tuesday June 21st, this happens to be the exact same date shown as the date of issue on the passport and also the date that was shown on the envelope (sent from Wellington) as the date of posting the passport back to us...

They received our application and posted the passport back to us on the same day.
Cool, wonder what the price of same-day processing would be in the uk? Price that plus courier and the NZ price doesnt sound bad at all. As I said, the courier charge to the uk is certainly a pricing input, whether or not it is used...
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

From this website
http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/h...als/passports/

We no longer issue standard (5 and 10 year) British passports at this High Commission. You now need to apply for your passport at our Regional Passport Processing Centre in Wellington.

So, if in OZ, your passport goes to Wellington and then onto UK
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Cool, wonder what the price of same-day processing would be in the uk? Price that plus courier and the NZ price doesnt sound bad at all.
I agree.

Assuming I've read the page below correctly, it's £129.50 for an adult's passport (but you have to be there in person) and they don't do a same-day service for a child's passport:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ions/DG_174109

Given how fast we got our child's first passport, we can't complain at all over hoe much we paid here in NZ.