Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ to UK and back again...

UK to NZ to UK and back again...

Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

SCAM20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to NZ to UK and back again...

Hi
We moved to from the UK to NZ in 2015 with our children (5 & 8). The move was prompted by a change and a my husband's job. We left NZ in 2019 primarily because my husband's job did not pan out - workplace bullying and a department not willing to change. He looked for alternative employment in NZ but as a senior academic in HE opportunities were non existent. We arrived in Northern Ireland (never lived here before) last year with 2 very devastated children. Husband's job here is fab and it is better being closer to family but we are really, really missing NZ - appreciated that we have not been away that long and there is always a transition period.
Wondered if there are other ping-pong moms out there? What prompted a return... did a return work out for you...

thanks
Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ to UK and back again...

Originally Posted by SCAM20 View Post
Hi
We moved to from the UK to NZ in 2015 with our children (5 & 8). The move was prompted by a change and a my husband's job. We left NZ in 2019 primarily because my husband's job did not pan out - workplace bullying and a department not willing to change. He looked for alternative employment in NZ but as a senior academic in HE opportunities were non existent. We arrived in Northern Ireland (never lived here before) last year with 2 very devastated children. Husband's job here is fab and it is better being closer to family but we are really, really missing NZ - appreciated that we have not been away that long and there is always a transition period.
Wondered if there are other ping-pong moms out there? What prompted a return... did a return work out for you...

thanks
Can't help and live in the Republic of Ireland myself but would the job situation be better if you returned to NZ again? It's still only early days and not the cheapest move, so maybe really research if the job situation will be better again.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hello,
I totally get where you're coming from! We moved to NZ in 2012 from UK and returned in 2015. Now 5 years on, I'm desperate to go back. We have permanent residency with no restrictions so the option is real!
The reason we came back to UK? Well, I was diagnosed with early stage cancer when I was there. It totally freaked out and it messed with my head. Even though otherwise life was good and we both had great jobs, the pull of family made us return. My husband really didn't want to leave, he still jokes about leaving paradise.
Pretty much as soon as we came back, we wanted to get back on the plane and felt we'd made a mistake but here we are 5 years later.
Its come to the crunch now though. The kids would be in year 10 now and next Feb would be starting to study towards exams. So I feel its this year, or never.
I'd feel so guilty leaving my parents again but life is short.
Such a hard decision isn't it?
HeatherGirl
Old Feb 17th 2020, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SCAM, there is a Ping Pong Poms (NZ) Facebook group for that very reason - it is a very common occurrence! I'm sure you will find the FB group useful