Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ January 2011

UK to NZ January 2011

Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Talking Re: UK to NZ January 2011

Originally Posted by louloumama
Good Luck robertandjackie - welcome to the January gang. One week to go till the container arrives for packing and we seriously need to get our butts in gear

We fly out on the 11th and we booked back in October. My preferred choice would have been to fly Singapore airlines/Emirates but they were working out at around £1200 pp for return (as we didn't have RV then so couldn't book one way). We have booked with Royal Brunei airlines as for a family of 5 the price we found saved us over £1000 ...... no previous experience of flying with them so watch this space !!!!!

They have also let us have return tickets valid for a year . Not that we hope to use them but possibility me or hubby may have to "nip" back with possible family probs which are on the horizon.

Wishing you all well
HI ...we arrive in Hamilton in March....it would be great to hear how your flight went with brunei.....please give me shout
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to NZ March 2011

Well, we are3...Julie, myself and the little one Lucy.We arrive for new Jobs in Hamilton in Mid March so we are on a tight deadline and looking here for packing cases. We need to be near a decent school and looked at Rotorua? We also need to rent 4 beds with a garage until we want to buy.............we decided to sell the cars and get new over there...can you bring in wines and spirits?[/QUOTE]

Hi, Rotorua would be a very long way to travel if you'r working/living in Hamilton! Maybe a 2 hour drive. Have you ben told about TradeMe? www.trademe.co.nz - would be a good place to look for a rental home/cars.

Best of luck!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK to NZ January 2011

Rick...............cheers for the geographic advice............looking at trade me now..........I meant Raglan........not rotorua !! sorry
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:24 am
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john and julie
Rick...............cheers for the geographic advice............looking at trade me now..........I meant Raglan........not rotorua !! sorry
wow, thats still a good drive! All depends where in Hamilton you are going to be working. You'll find TM is great for all kinds of stuff as well as cars, basically its the place all us kiwis go to buy/sell stuff
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:31 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ March 2011

[/QUOTE]
Well, we are3...Julie, myself and the little one Lucy.We arrive for new Jobs in Hamilton in Mid March so we are on a tight deadline and looking here for packing cases. We need to be near a decent school and looked at Rotorua? We also need to rent 4 beds with a garage until we want to buy.............we decided to sell the cars and get new over there...can you bring in wines and spirits?[/QUOTE]

Hi John & Julie
You might find you get more response / answers if you post specific questions by starting new threads on the main forum, or use the search facility for previous posts / threads related to your questions (there have been lots re schools & shippers for instance).
Rick has already pointed you in the direction of 'trademe' which should give you an idea of what rentals & cars are around....but I would advise you to go and look before you 'buy' / rent....the descriptions/ pictures often either don't do a place justice or the reality can be a bit disappointing!
HTH
B x
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Ongarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We fly Royal Brunei to Auckland on 23rd Jan, arriving 25th 0140. We have children 17 and 11.

We have rented a house in Pakuranga, Auckland. I will be studying at AUT for a year.

Someone asked about Royal Brunei a few posts back. I used them last month and had good (cheap) flights with no hassle. Food is a bit up and down, but very plentiful. I seemed to be bombarded with food throughout the journey. No alcohol available

Very excited - but very nervous. Let's get this adventure going!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ongarian
Hi,

We fly Royal Brunei to Auckland on 23rd Jan, arriving 25th 0140. We have children 17 and 11.

We have rented a house in Pakuranga, Auckland. I will be studying at AUT for a year.

Someone asked about Royal Brunei a few posts back. I used them last month and had good (cheap) flights with no hassle. Food is a bit up and down, but very plentiful. I seemed to be bombarded with food throughout the journey. No alcohol available

welcome to the January leavers list!! Not too long 'till the start of your adventure enjoy!.....and a BIG welcome to the forum!

8.1.11 AndyRuth & family arrive, heading for Cambridge
11.1.11 Louloumama & family heading for North Shore/Orewa
11.1.11 tbromfield & gf heading for Wellington
Mid Jan, yorkylass & family heading for Christchurch
23.1.11 Ongarian & family heading for Auckland
28.1.11 robertandjackie heading to New Plymouth
TBC end Jan, chillyed heading for Blenheim
Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
MnB

Tighten your seat belts!!

8.1.11 AndyRuth & family arrive, heading for Cambridge
11.1.11 Louloumama & family heading for North Shore/Orewa
11.1.11 tbromfield & gf heading for Wellington
Mid Jan, yorkylass & family heading for Christchurch
23.1.11 Ongarian & family heading for Auckland
28.1.11 robertandjackie heading to New Plymouth
TBC end Jan, chillyed heading for Blenheim[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

oh my goodness, oh my goodness ( actually what the xxxx!!!!) . This is a nightmare

8 more sleeps till we fly......... only 2 more sleeps until they come and pack our stuff ready for loading to container. The house is nowhere near ready for anyone to pack - every single room looks like its been ransacked - there is stuff absoluely bloomin everywhere.How have we ever come to accumulate sooooo much stuff. !!!!!!

Am absolutely dreading the goodbye with my mum on Saturday (who is currently looking after the kiddiwinks)....... makes me feel sick to my stomach just at the thought of it.... feeling sooo guilty at what we are doing . She has been so "hands on " with the children and such a great Grandma over the years....

Somebody on here once posted a tip......"keep in mind why you wanted to move to NZ"......... a question I keep asking myself over and over again at the mo ....

Sooo many emotions right now,
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

oh my goodness, oh my goodness ( actually what the xxxx!!!!) . This is a nightmare

8 more sleeps till we fly......... only 2 more sleeps until they come and pack our stuff ready for loading to container. The house is nowhere near ready for anyone to pack - every single room looks like its been ransacked - there is stuff absoluely bloomin everywhere.How have we ever come to accumulate sooooo much stuff. !!!!!!

Am absolutely dreading the goodbye with my mum on Saturday (who is currently looking after the kiddiwinks)....... makes me feel sick to my stomach just at the thought of it.... feeling sooo guilty at what we are doing . She has been so "hands on " with the children and such a great Grandma over the years....

Somebody on here once posted a tip......"keep in mind why you wanted to move to NZ"......... a question I keep asking myself over and over again at the mo ....

We qre 12 weeks behind you ...keep your spare room clear whe you get there lol
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:52 pm
MnB

It's def a drain on the emotions!!, final goodbyes were the one of the most traumatic things I've ever done but the 'pay off' was arriving in NZ knowing we could stay for ever if we wanted to and for OH to arrive home, to the land of his birth .......my guilt trip came when I then dragged him back to the UK!!
Don't beat yourself up!! I'm sure you haven't decided to do this on a whim.....you're doing what you consider to be the best for you & your family, try to keep smiling and when you shed a tear or two tell yourself they're tears of joy 'cause you're finally on your way!!
B x
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Another of us lot from Essex.....good on you for taking the leap my friend
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Ongarian is an unknown quantity at this point

19 sleeps and closing...

Tough day today. Said goodbye to my old folks and eldest son. My Mum and Dad are 91 and 88 so it was a choker on both sides. Tried to say the things I wanted to say but there were no words there.

I have decided to send them a letter so I have a chance to put my feelings into words. I can fully understand the feelings of guilt.

Also watched the mighty Brighton play away for the last time yesterday and saw some old mates from my Sussex youth. Football has played a big part in my life and it sounds trivial - but I will miss it so badly. Now have to fix a last minute drink up in Brighton due to popular demand. So running out of days....

Then a phone call out of the blue from an army mate wanting to know if I am going to the army v navy rugby in May. Talk about a hard day.

Both kids in tears tonight. Tomorrow can only be better.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:25 pm
MnB

19 sleeps and closing...

Tough day today. Said goodbye to my old folks and eldest son. My Mum and Dad are 91 and 88 so it was a choker on both sides. Tried to say the things I wanted to say but there were no words there.

I have decided to send them a letter so I have a chance to put my feelings into words. I can fully understand the feelings of guilt.

Also watched the mighty Brighton play away for the last time yesterday and saw some old mates from my Sussex youth. Football has played a big part in my life and it sounds trivial - but I will miss it so badly. Now have to fix a last minute drink up in Brighton due to popular demand. So running out of days....

Then a phone call out of the blue from an army mate wanting to know if I am going to the army v navy rugby in May. Talk about a hard day.

A letter is a good way of saying the things you can't verbalise, but don't make the same mistake as me.......trying to write it at the last minute on the morning we left meant I was a total mess when our taxi arrived
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

19 sleeps and closing...

Ongarian - am with you on this all the way - it is soo hard- much harder than I ever imagined saying all these goodbyes. Our packers are coming tomorrow We leave on Tuesday - my eldest (13yrs) wants to chain himself to the radiator so he doesn't have to go

Stay strong and focused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.