Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK/NZ driving licence (bus and lorry)

UK/NZ driving licence (bus and lorry)

Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default UK/NZ driving licence (bus and lorry)

I understand that when we move to NZ we can take a written test to get our NZ drivers licence as we have a UK one.
However, my husband has bus and lorry added to his UK licence (although doesn't drive them at moment). Am I right in thinking that these wouldn't automatically be transferred across? Would he have to take additional tests to get these on a NZ licence?

thanks!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK/NZ driving licence (bus and lorry)

Originally Posted by 4pommes
I understand that when we move to NZ we can take a written test to get our NZ drivers licence as we have a UK one.
However, my husband has bus and lorry added to his UK licence (although doesn't drive them at moment). Am I right in thinking that these wouldn't automatically be transferred across? Would he have to take additional tests to get these on a NZ licence?

thanks!
when you go to the AA to take your theory paper takes about 20 mins he will do bus and hgv on same paper just make sure you tell them its for hgv as well you can also buy a book was $29 you can revise on the questions taking in there rules and regulations then once you passed should take about two weeks to get license so no test just a theory
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

There are different classes for different weights here and they don't match the UK class weights.

Details here

Jan
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
There are different classes for different weights here and they don't match the UK class weights.

Details here

Jan
hi yes thats right but thats if your in nz , if you have uk lincense you just do the theory class class 2 uk is class 4 in nz and class 1 uk is class 5 in nz

when i done mine thats all i had to was the theory
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys....
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

sparky66789 is an unknown quantity at this point

have converted my class 2 uk licence over but only got class 2 nz licence???

really confused as i thought you i would get class 4 nz??
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sparky66789
have converted my class 2 uk licence over but only got class 2 nz licence???

really confused as i thought you i would get class 4 nz??
are you sure you have done theory for hgv & car as its all one paper
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

You need to do a theory test, depending on what class you are trying to get is dependent on what questions you will get. If you are requesting a class 4 you won't get asked class 5 questions on axle weights etc. You will also need to do a NZ medical for your NZ Heavy Truck license
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by concretepump
are you sure you have done theory for hgv & car as its all one paper
yep did both, went and spoke to aa and they said it is only worth class 2 nz same as uk!! confused!!!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Class 2 NZ only covers you for single axel up to 18000kg
Class 4 double axel upto 25000kg

Class 5 drive anything

there is a class 3 which is the same as 2 but you can tow a trailer no body seems to bother with it

1 is car
6 is mo mo bike
w= wheels loading shovel ect
t= tracks owt with tracks dozer, digger
r= rollers

p= passenger bus/taxi

v= recovery driver

dg= dangerous goods handy if you drive a truck

its all a money making exersize and there all a peice of piss to pass

Neil
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

cheers for that neil!!