Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ April 2010

UK to NZ April 2010

Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:02 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ April 2010

Originally Posted by mudblood21
HAKA DELIGHT!

Werrington boys done good!

It wasn't and exact replication of the all blacks' own version, but it was very " spirited" . most of them had skirts made from straw stuffed down their jeans , and they wore black t shirts and had their faces painted with black whirls, maori-tattoo-style. They spent the evening sticking their tongues out and pulling funny faces, which was 'interesting'. There are a couple of children who might have trouble sleeping for a while...

my 16 yr old son stood right in the front (apparently he is a natural and they put him there to lead) He is not normally one to perform, but was really good- but he absolutely refused to wear his black T shirt or put the makeup on, which was a shame when the others had gone to such a lot of trouble, but never mind- he was there when it counted.

Someone will put up a video and photos up on facebook, and when they do I will nab them. I see a button up above, marked 'photo gallery' and will put some effort into seeing if I can learn to use it! otherwise i could post it to the expat FB page. I have volunteered at the local air cadets squadron, and they presented me with a fab RAF coffee set which was immediately followed by the haka, so I was stuck at the front and never got to my camera.

I just had a fantastic night . The room had all been decorated. Looking around the room knowing that i probably wouldn't see most of those people ever again should have made it all very real, but it just felt like I was watching a film. I am very lucky to have such wonderful (if slightly mad friends)
what a fantastic send off You must be a very cherished friend for them to have made such an effort. Have a safe journey

Dewb
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dewb09
what a fantastic send off You must be a very cherished friend for them to have made such an effort. Have a safe journey

Dewb
They certainly made me feel very loved ! The landlord even paid for the disco (prompting speculation that he has been abducted by aliens and replaced with a drone) It was a great night.
I will try and get some decent photos up, but i am a little busy at the moment!

I am sitting on the floor of my empty house, with the skip and the van outside... Up to Sheffield tonight, taking the last few bits of furniture up there for my son... then back tomorrow for an evening of being spoilt at my friend's house, then on Thursday we fly off...... oooo eeer!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:07 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

They certainly made me feel very loved ! The landlord even paid for the disco (prompting speculation that he has been abducted by aliens and replaced with a drone) It was a great night.
I will try and get some decent photos up, but i am a little busy at the moment!

I am sitting on the floor of my empty house, with the skip and the van outside... Up to Sheffield tonight, taking the last few bits of furniture up there for my son... then back tomorrow for an evening of being spoilt at my friend's house, then on Thursday we fly off...... oooo eeer!
Nice one have a very safe journey

Dewb
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:42 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in Auckland at 4.50am this morning and then we were supposed to have a 3 and a half hour wait for our transfer to Wellington. When we went to check our luggage in the lovely Air NZ lady offered to put us on the next flight to Welly. So we literally went from the international terminal to the domestic terminal and then straight onto our onward flight to Welly. We got to Wellington 2 hours earlier than expected. Excellent

Flights were all much less eventful than I feared. LAX transit was absolutely fine. No one checked our hand luggage at LAX, when I had been told that they would search everything thoroughly. The chap that did my immigration bit even had a sense of humour and made jokes with me! Not what I expected at all. In fact all the LAX crew were brilliant and fun.
It was the first time I've ever flown with Air NZ and I have to say they were brilliant. Crew very good and wonderful food. OH can't stop going on about the lamb curry he had as his first meal!

I'm now just trying to stay awake for a few more hours so I don't end up completely out of sync with local time as I only managed to doze for 3 or 4 hours in the whole 30 hour journey. So apologies for a disjointed post
Old Apr 8th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelloid
We arrived in Auckland at 4.50am this morning and then we were supposed to have a 3 and a half hour wait for our transfer to Wellington. When we went to check our luggage in the lovely Air NZ lady offered to put us on the next flight to Welly. So we literally went from the international terminal to the domestic terminal and then straight onto our onward flight to Welly. We got to Wellington 2 hours earlier than expected. Excellent

Flights were all much less eventful than I feared. LAX transit was absolutely fine. No one checked our hand luggage at LAX, when I had been told that they would search everything thoroughly. The chap that did my immigration bit even had a sense of humour and made jokes with me! Not what I expected at all. In fact all the LAX crew were brilliant and fun.
It was the first time I've ever flown with Air NZ and I have to say they were brilliant. Crew very good and wonderful food. OH can't stop going on about the lamb curry he had as his first meal!

I'm now just trying to stay awake for a few more hours so I don't end up completely out of sync with local time as I only managed to doze for 3 or 4 hours in the whole 30 hour journey. So apologies for a disjointed post
Welcome to New Zealand
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:21 am
Scorchy legs

Thanks for update so please all went well and a smooth journey. Happy settling in!

Dewb x
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:23 am
Scorchy legs

06th Shelloid (Wellington)
08th Mudblood21 (Auckland)
18th Jack (Rotorua)
22nd Steez1982 (Dunedin)
23rd LukeMainwaring (Destination?)

04th JackandE (visiting UK)
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Congrats Shelloid! we are hot on your heels, and looking forward to trying the lamb curry.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:52 am
Scorchy legs

Congrats Shelloid! we are hot on your heels, and looking forward to trying the lamb curry.
Shouldnt you be last min packing and stressing you have remembered everything

Have a great & safe journey

Dewb
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

yey! you made it! glad your flight was much better than expected.
when you're feeling better, keep us updated with your adventures!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:38 am
Scorchy legs

18th Jack (Rotorua)
22nd Steez1982 (Dunedin)

Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice

just thought i would give your list a bump as it is making me realise i have to wait for 3 more lists then MY name will be on it
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by imanurse
just thought i would give your list a bump as it is making me realise i have to wait for 3 more lists then MY name will be on it
i hope Immi NZ allowing

Last edited by imanurse; Apr 13th 2010 at 3:56 pm. Reason: spelling ;-)
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:39 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by imanurse
i hope Immi NZ allowing
Thank you have some list bumping karma

for you. Before you know it you will be on a list!

Hoping to get on a list myself
Dewb
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dewb09

18th Jack (Rotorua)
22nd Steez1982 (Dunedin)

Here safe and well, enjoyed the lamb curry! Thanks for the tip, Shelloid!

Anyone visiting Auckland- I can't recommend my short term rental highly enough. This place looks great on the net but is MILES better in real life, a real retreat after the journey and a fab way to start life in NZ
Fully furnished and luxuriously kitted out. Landlady is lovely - really helpful.
It is called the Valley de Sol, Howick Auckland.

Went into school today, met the head of English, think I have a home to rent long term and am going to test drive a car...

Everything is going SO well, I am starting to get suspicious- -seems to good to be true! Am making the most of things that seem to be going my way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.