British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK nursing registration & Nz nursing registration for points (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-nursing-registration-nz-nursing-registration-points-717917/)

pcmay10 May 21st 2011 8:49 pm

UK nursing registration & Nz nursing registration for points

hi again,my wifes uk nursing reg has lapsed can she still claim points for qualifications as she would probably need to register in nz anyway?thanks...

RobDon May 22nd 2011 12:08 am

Re: nursing registration

Originally Posted by pcmay10 (Post 9379517)
hi again,my wifes uk nursing reg has lapsed can she still claim points for qualifications as she would probably need to register in nz anyway?thanks...

As far as I am aware its the nursing qualification that counts and her experience.
How long has the registration been lapsed for?
And yes she does have to register over here! ;)

BEVS May 22nd 2011 5:58 am

Re: nursing registration

Originally Posted by pcmay10 (Post 9379517)

Brilliant mate. I am so glad you are asking pertinant questions to people that know from experience.

Cheers
:)

ps

If we can get you here under your own steam, we will all try our best.

Nursing will be your best way in.

BEVS May 23rd 2011 12:47 am

Re: UK nursing registration & Nz nursing registration for points

Is this like the plumbing and gasfitting trade. You need to be NZ registered first before claiming EOI points please?

Tomsk May 23rd 2011 7:26 am

Just been browsing this thread, & I'd recommend checking out the NZ Nursing Council website with regards to registering as a nurse in NZ. My understanding is that they want to recruit nurses who are up to date, competent practitioners, which, unfortunately, probably means that they are looking for nurses with current NMC registrations. However if your wife's registration has only recently lapsed there may be some value in her renewing it, and, if necessary, returning to nursing in the UK in order to be able to give the evidence of completing the right number of hours of practice and of professional development.

If it has been lapsed for a while (from memory I seem to think that 3 years is the critical time frame, but I could be wrong, definitely worth checking the NMC website for accurate info) then she'd need to look at a back to nursing programme in the UK before she could re-register. NZ are not likely to recruit a non-practising UK nurse in the hopes that she may be able to complete a returning to nursing course and therefore qualify for registration.

Bevs, yes, you're right, it's the registration with the relevant nursing council (Nursing Council of NZ or Nursing & Midwifery Council in the UK) that matters. Nurses have to be able to prove that they have remained up to date and competent completing enough practising hours and also enough professional development to remain on the register. Simply having completed the training and having the right letters after your name means nothing if you've not kept up to date with practice. It's all about patient safety & nurse competence.

I do wish you luck with your ambition to move to NZ, & certainly a nursing qualification is generally a good way in as nurses do seem to be in fairly constant demand over here. It may be that you need to take a longer term view though, and consider re-registration in the UK, off the back of which it's then relatively straightforward to apply for NZ registration. Might be worth checking out the link I've added below:

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...l-Registration

pcmay10 Jun 8th 2011 9:02 pm

Many thanks for your replies. Looking into re-registration of nursing and completing return to practice in uk first then will try to register in nz. Determination and patience will get us there in the end.