British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Uk nurse moving to new zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-nurse-moving-new-zealand-816336/)

Toni86 Nov 27th 2013 5:02 pm

Uk nurse moving to new zealand

Hi so this is probably asked a lot but here I go. So I'm a paediatric nurse in the uk currently looking to move to New Zealand. Particularly Auckland where they have a PICU. I have searched on Google and it's all pretty confusing about what to do and how. So basically where should I start and should I sort it alone or use a company to help?
Any help would be much appreciated thanx in advance

MrsFychan Nov 27th 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Uk nurse moving to new zealand

Hi Toni and welcome to BE

you can do it alone and member on BE will help

You need to find out what sort of visa you can get

Some nurse positions have been removed from the Skills list so you would need to check if your position is on there and go from there.

best place to start is the Immigration site

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Persephone Nov 27th 2013 5:23 pm

Hello Toni and welcome to BE!

You need to look at visas, here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Are you considering staying longterm/permanently or on a temporary basis? You want residency if you plan on permanent and this can be gained in one of two ways: the Skilled Migrant Category or a Work to Residence Visa. The former is based on points-you can claim points for age/work experience/ job offer and various other factors. I am assuming you haven't got a Kiwi partner here;)

You may or may not need a job offer to apply for a visa-it depends on which type and also whether you have enough points if you're planning on applying for residency. If doesn't look like paediatric nurses are on the skills shortage lists now [being on this gets you extra points and makes it easier to get a work visa]

As a nurse you will also need occupational registration: there are lots of nurses on here who can advise you on that. Also do a search as nursing questions are often asked. Click on the search forum button on the top right to do this. You will need to sit an IELTS test for registration.

Please come back with more specific questions and we'll try and help.
It's a big subject to try and explain succinctly!
P:)

BEVS Nov 27th 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Toni86 (Post 11010586)
Hi so this is probably asked a lot but here I go. So I'm a paediatric nurse in the uk currently looking to move to New Zealand. Particularly Auckland where they have a PICU. I have searched on Google and it's all pretty confusing about what to do and how. So basically where should I start and should I sort it alone or use a company to help?
Any help would be much appreciated thanx in advance

Morning Toni86 and welcome to our teeny tiny NZ forum.
We'll all pool in and help if we can. There are a few nurses on here that can guide you from their own experiences.

First , you will need to be registered with the NZ Nursing Council. A link is HERE

Having a job to come to is pretty useful isn't it. If it were me and it is not, I'd ask assorted district health boards and health professional recruitment agencies direct about available positions.
Auckland District Healthboard for instance.

Toni86 Nov 27th 2013 7:08 pm

Thank everyone for their quick responses and hi. Will take at the stuff that you have all told me so far then will be back as sure will have plenty more to ask.
Thanx again

Lb welly Nov 27th 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Toni
I am applying for nurse registration too. Slightly dif for me as I am an adult ICU nurse and married to a kiwi so am applying for residency and based in Wellington
It costs $485. There are 2 stages

You need a pass of 7.5 in the IELTS.
Certified copies of certificates police certificate and passport
Employer letter
2 referees on a special form
Character ref
CV
Then verification of registration and training transcript is stage 2
You need at least 2yrs experience.
If you are looking for full time work then this lady maybe able to help
[email protected]
Happy to answer any questions if I can

Northern Henry Nov 27th 2013 7:44 pm

Also have a good look around Kiwi health jobs website, as this is where all the jobs from the Health boards are usually posted.

nero Nov 27th 2013 8:15 pm

I see you are coming to work in PICU - just as an aside my partner often has to go there and in comparison to a UK PICU you will find a lot of non accidental injuries to babies/toddlers etc. I know that they have found this quite disturbing. I just think you should be aware of this. I am not saying that it is a bad place to work, but you should be aware that unfortunately here in NZ we do have a high incidence of non accidental death and injuries to babies and children.

I am sure someone else will come on line and can give you a different perspective.

kingacat Nov 28th 2013 4:56 am

Hiya,
We came with an nursing agency and they really helped take some of the stress out of it..