British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK Midiwife to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-midiwife-nz-914834/)

Gill and Rob Jul 11th 2018 10:10 pm

UK Midiwife to NZ

Hi
Any UK midwives who have just gained their NZ registration?
Did you have to have your midwifery qualification assessed by NZQA or did they accept it was equivalent to level 7 by having your registration?

Cheers and thanks

inkedneonurse Jul 12th 2018 1:57 am

Re: UK Midiwife to NZ

If your talking about qulaificatipn assesment for INZ then yes if tou hold a NZ registration then they class tou as having a level 7 without further NZQA assesmemt, of you are talking about gaining registration then thos is done on a case by case basis and they will make the decision on the basis of the paperwork you send them

Gill and Rob Jul 12th 2018 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12531461)
If your talking about qulaificatipn assesment for INZ then yes if tou hold a NZ registration then they class tou as having a level 7 without further NZQA assesmemt, of you are talking about gaining registration then thos is done on a case by case basis and they will make the decision on the basis of the paperwork you send them

Apparently not. We have a UK midwife (coming to work at the DHB I work for) who has applied for a work visa and is putting in her residency application at the same time. She has her NZ midwifery registration but her immigration agent says she needs proof her registration is level 7 for the residency application. Midwifery Council will not provide a letter as they say they are separate to NZQA.

Just wondering if any one recently has had this issue, as professional registration was considered enough proof.

Cheers and thanks
Gill

inkedneonurse Jul 12th 2018 9:13 pm

Hmmmm unfortunately immigration agents can and will interperet the rules diffirently, the phrase that applies here is

It has been assessed by a New Zealand registration authority at the same level as a qualification on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment as part of an application for New Zealand occupational registration;

i cant see anywhere on the INZ site that this is no longer the case

my residency was granted at the beginning of this year and no hint of NZQA assesment was given i sent in my registration certificate and the councils own documents on registration requirements, However if her INZ case worker has asked specifically for an NZQA assesment then thats what she has to get (i assuke thats who you mean by immigration agent)

Gill and Rob Jul 23rd 2018 5:17 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12532046)
However if her INZ case worker has asked specifically for an NZQA assesment then thats what she has to get (i assuke thats who you mean by immigration agent)

No it's her immigration agent acting on her behalf not Immigration NZ asking for it.

Cheers

inkedneonurse Jul 23rd 2018 5:32 am

Ahhhhh gotcha, i never used an agent for that particular reason.Imo they drag out the process and make it mire stress than it needs to be