British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK meetings? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-meetings-657969/)

macmattom Mar 5th 2010 5:58 pm

UK meetings?

Does this site condone, support or even organise UK get-togethers? As a newbie, I wouldn't want to offend anybody but would be interested in meeting people with a similar desire who are probably way further down the process than we are but who would be able to pass on some hard earned experience, tips and information.

Just a thought. :eek:

Dewb09 Mar 5th 2010 7:57 pm

Re: UK meetings?

Absoulutely yes!
I know of a couple of people who have met up as geographically it was easy for them. Think its up to individuals if they want to get together but not a problem as far as this site is concerned.

Dewb

sirplug Mar 5th 2010 9:31 pm

If you'd have asked earlier, I would have met up with you. I'm only in Notts and work in Newark but I'm off on Sunday (14th) and am flat out doing all the last minute bits and pieces. If you have plenty of questions, worried moments, etc, feel free to PM me.

The biggest bit of advice I can give is, research everything online, cost of living, job opportunity, where to live, schooling (if appropriate). Basically, mirror your current life now, in New Zealand as far as research is concerned. Look at every last detail, cost of banking, broadband, phone, mobiles, insurance.....the list goes on. Just bear in mind that as far as cost of living is concerned, asking everybody else what they spend money on / survive on, may be a waste of time. Although it will give you a ball park idea, everybody lives differently and what you may deem cheap, others may deem expensive, etc.

When all that is done and you're happy that you can make the move, then consider the family reaction and what it will mean to you. Perhaps, broach the subject now to gauge reactions. You might be surprised or shocked by the response.....

It all sounds daunting but it's not like moving from Lincoln to Nottingham!:p

This really is not one of those flash in the pan decisions....it's taken us 8 years to get to the point of moving.....

sirplug Mar 5th 2010 9:59 pm

Almost forgot. Get to some expo's. They're full of great info and you'll meet loads of like minded people, either on or about to join the journey to New Zealand.....

simonsi Mar 6th 2010 8:12 am

Great idea!

I'm in Leicester so not too far for a Mids GTG

macmattom Mar 6th 2010 6:50 pm

[F]How about Newark? About half way, and a decent(ish) pub right on junction of A46/A1/A17 so easy to find :beer::drinkwine:. Would have to be a Friday for now, as I work away during the week, but if it's a goer we could start a little self-help club for the East of the country. Just thinking out loud, but maybe meet once a month - first Friday, that sort of thing.

We could advertise on here under a new thread and see if anybody wants to join in. Would you be interested?
[/FONT]

simonsi Mar 6th 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by macmattom (Post 8399706)
Would you be interested?

Yes! :thumbsup: Venue sounds OK too....

Am Loolah Mar 6th 2010 10:13 pm

This sounds like a great idea - sadly neither BEVS nor myself can be there to moderate though!:sneaky:

You could start a thread in the "meet ups" forum but make sure you put UK in the thread title. If it's low on responses we'll move it back to the main forum.:thumbup:

Oh, and photos of any drunken antics are de rigeur.

BEVS Mar 7th 2010 1:47 am

:p or would that be :beer:

You can also put a notice of your meet up in the BE events calendar at the bottom of the BE page. That way you'd maybe also attract those wanting to emigrate to more countries than just New Zealand.