Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK licence expired 3 months ago.....help!!

UK licence expired 3 months ago.....help!!

Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK licence expired 3 months ago.....help!!

Hi ,

has anyone else overshot the 1 year period on their licence and if so what are the consequences and the best way to proceed?Been here 15 months.
Help
Ash
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK licence expired 3 months ago.....help!!

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi ,

has anyone else overshot the 1 year period on their licence and if so what are the consequences and the best way to proceed?Been here 15 months.
Help
Ash
Hello chief!! Me and the missus are the same. Just don't get caught. We were due for the test end of January.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Kaz n Joolz is an unknown quantity at this point

I could be wrong but if you've left NZ during that 12 month period then your 12 months starts again.

Karen
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaz n Joolz
I could be wrong but if you've left NZ during that 12 month period then your 12 months starts again.

Karen
Erm.... no....... I haven`t left...........should I?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hello chief!! Me and the missus are the same. Just don't get caught. We were due for the test end of January.

Hi Danny,

Trouble is I got done for speeding within 2 weeks of being here so even the cops would know if they stopped me.DOH !!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Bristol Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, have had the same fun a while ago......
If I recall you'd need to leave for way more than two weeks. If you've gotten a speeding ticket (unless spectacular) you probably aren't logged for trouble because the police work the whole points thing based on your (non-existent) licence (I apparently had some points saved on "the system" for when I got a licence....they never did turn up).

I've heard tell of any number of expats who overshot by a little (or a lot). I've heard that if you go in an apologize and are a bit over they generally take pity and since you're trying to do the right thing they won't give you grief. Personally I did my test a bit late.... well over a year late (OK a bit over two since I'm anonymous). I did mine though an AA shop... not through the On Road where I used to get RUC WOFs and stuff; I said nothing but my writing on the date of arrival wasn't entirely as clear as it might have been.....
....... a close associate of mine drove over three years on a UK licence locally with no mishaps (and went through a number of roadside wof checks and breathalyser tests).

Let's be clear; it is illegal, but the authorities would rather you did the right thing and I suspect there's a policy of turning a bit of a blind eye, penalizing someone for admitting an oversight and trying to make good isn't going to be very encouraging is it?

Good luck.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:41 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I got caught by a speeding camera doing 114 in a 100 when we were here last April on our recce.

Ticket with fine attached got sent to our US address, and rightly so. Of course I paid it as I'm not a leech on the system and don't expect to get off just because I have a foreign licence (well duh!).

Will be transferring my French (or US) licence over well before the 12 months is up.

What do you need to do? You need to get your arse down to the AA and take the written and practical test.

Bite the bullet, and swallow your pride.

It's a small price to pay.

Just get legal, then be quietly proud about it.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I was only three years 'overdue' on converting my licence. Here's what I did. I went to AA next to Latimer Square here in Christchurch and showed them my Hawai'i driver's licence.

"Oooh, that's a nice one. We haven't seen one of those before. OK, that will be NZD$84. Here's your test. You can sit at the table over there, thanks...Next in line please...'

Short story...nothing of consequence other than getting my licence in the post a week later.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi Danny,

Trouble is I got done for speeding within 2 weeks of being here so even the cops would know if they stopped me.DOH !!!
Hi Ash

Jiff got done for speeding the first day he arrived. He did however, take his test after being here 11 months and his points were, waiting for him!

I don't actually know where the nearest prison is - but I'm sure I'll find out to be able to come and visit!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Hi Ash

Jiff got done for speeding the first day he arrived. He did however, take his test after being here 11 months and his points were, waiting for him!

I don't actually know where the nearest prison is - but I'm sure I'll find out to be able to come and visit!
A fellow BE member can access my details and I too have a number of points waiting-you only get them if actually stopped by the Plod. I've had 4 camera mishaps,and been stopped 3 times,so have eventually not so much slowed down but know where they hide so speed up on the straights then drop it for the corners (they hide about 100 yds after the corners).
I've also been fined on the road,parked for not having and up-to-date Road tax type thing. Erm....still haven't so will sort that very soon-fine is $200.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

I must be a bit of a goody goody as I took my NZ license theory test after 2 months of being here. I wanted it out the way and while I had some spare money! To be honest I am glad I got it out the way, I don't have to worry about it now.

My opinion...go and get it done. The longer you leave it the worse it could be and why have it on the back of your mind for the sake of $84???!!!! It is also very easy!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
I must be a bit of a goody goody as I took my NZ license theory test after 2 months of being here. I wanted it out the way and while I had some spare money! To be honest I am glad I got it out the way, I don't have to worry about it now.

My opinion...go and get it done. The longer you leave it the worse it could be and why have it on the back of your mind for the sake of $84???!!!! It is also very easy!
Cos we don't have $168 to get me and her sorted. Cost of living has determined that food and Sky are more important.
And my footy fees this year are a much bigger priority.
And I'm scouse.It's........just.....it's what we do best.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Hi Ash

Thanks Liz,

I`ll keep you posted. Can I call you as a character witness?

Ash
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Took my test this week and I was in the 'system' for failing to stop at a stop sign :curse::curse:

Found this on Land Transport website.

What happens if I don't apply for a New Zealand driver licence?

If you do not apply for a New Zealand driver licence within one year of arriving, you'll be considered unlicensed and you must not drive. You could be charged by the Police if you are caught driving and you may not be able to get car insurance.
If you are unlicensed, are told by the Police not to drive, and are then caught driving by the Police, the vehicle you are driving will be seized at the roadside and impounded for 28 days.

Looks like there is no easy way out, but fronting up is definitely going to be the lesser of 2 evils. Not sure if an offence like this could affect your residency either
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:10 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

In practice I think the bigger issue is your insurance. Invariably the small print will include that you are only covered if you are legally entitle to drive in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.