British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK/Ireland! Two police certificates needed??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-ireland-two-police-certificates-needed-928466/)

Gerard100 Oct 11th 2019 8:13 am

UK/Ireland! Two police certificates needed???

Hello,

I am applying for an Essential Skills Work Visa. In the part about police certificates, I have query/problem.

I was born in and have lived in the United Kingdom my whole life. I only have an Irish passport though, due to the fact that people born in Northern Ireland (because of politics) are both Irish and British. The online application form is asking me for a Republic of Ireland police certificate and a UK one.

Does this mean that I really have to upload two police certificates from both countries? Or can I upload a UK police certificate and explain why (politics) later. Maybe this is something the NZ immigration have come across before?

Please any one with knowledge/experience of this let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

paddy234 Oct 11th 2019 9:25 am

Re: UK/Ireland! Two police certificates needed???

Originally Posted by Gerard100 (Post 12746943)
Hello,

I am applying for an Essential Skills Work Visa. In the part about police certificates, I have query/problem.

I was born in and have lived in the United Kingdom my whole life. I only have an Irish passport though, due to the fact that people born in Northern Ireland (because of politics) are both Irish and British. The online application form is asking me for a Republic of Ireland police certificate and a UK one.

Does this mean that I really have to upload two police certificates from both countries? Or can I upload a UK police certificate and explain why (politics) later. Maybe this is something the NZ immigration have come across before?

Please any one with knowledge/experience of this let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

No, i'm from the North of Ireland aswell and just got a UK certificate from the ACRO site i believe. The immigration officer should already understand these circumstances where there is dual nationality. To be safe attach a cover letter with your application and explain these circumstances and all should be fine

Gerard100 Oct 11th 2019 9:31 am

It would seem, sometimes what you hope for comes true.

Thanks Paddy.

MrsFychan Oct 12th 2019 1:44 am

if you have never lived in Ireland then you wont need a Police Certificate for Ireland. As already said just explain the situation when sending in your application.
If Immigration need to verify things the whole application is stopped until that verification has been approved so not sending things in can make the whole process longer.

paddy234 Oct 12th 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Gerard100 (Post 12746959)
It would seem, sometimes what you hope for comes true.

Thanks Paddy.

No worries, hope all goes well mate