British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK Goodies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-goodies-449481/)

Rascal May 12th 2007 5:13 am

UK Goodies

If you find yourself at Sylvia Park, pop into Pak n Save there, you will find a section of UK goodies with more arriving soon!:D :D :thumbsup:
Oh my shopping bill went up a little today! :D :D

cherry May 12th 2007 6:14 am

Re: UK Goodies

Why do people emigrate to look for British goods?
.If I wanted to shop at ASDA or TESCO Iwould stay in the UK not look for what I cannot get here ,Sad when you need to buy the stuff you left behind as part of your choice of emigrating.I personally have found that every thing that you can get here is more than enough without pining.However for those who want to get ripped off with brit imports go to . Rule Brittannia Shops.:thumbdown: shit prices for fools.

JakeG May 12th 2007 7:24 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4769329)
.If I wanted to shop at ASDA or TESCO Iwould stay in the UK not look for what I cannot get here ,Sad when you need to buy the stuff you left behind as part of your choice of emigrating.I personally have found that every thing that you can get here is more than enough without pining.However for those who want to get ripped off with brit imports go to . Rule Brittannia Shops.:thumbdown: shit prices for fools.

OUCH! :ohmy: That's a bit harsh isn't it? What about foreign lagers, champagne + other foreign wine, Vegemite (australian), tim tams (in fact arnotts biscuits in general - all aussie) away from food stuffs, all cars and most electrical goods etc etc - it's a world economy - surely you must buy stuff that was produced abroad everynow and then? :p

Anyway what's the problem if someone wants to buy something from the UK?

Just out of interest where do you draw the line on buying imported UK goods, do you watch any british made films or tv, eat anything from the UK or is it a total ban on Rule Brittania shops? :)

SarahB May 12th 2007 7:26 am

Rascal, I posted about this the other day. My OH popped in and just bought a few favourite goodies. Next time he goes in hes going to get me some Ready Brek as I used to love the stuff.

Cherry, who said they were pining? If somebody wants to have a little treat now and again with something they really like to eat or drink (and pay over the odds for it) then thats their choice. Your post comes over as really harsh. It certainly didnt affect me from emigrating when I found out I couldnt get Angel Delight here or Lemon Dip Dabs. :confused:

Divine Comedy May 12th 2007 9:09 am

Cherry, i think you need a 'chill pill man!!'
to repeat something i said on another thread ''if we were all the same it would be very boring''
i cant think of anything else to say after drinking a tonn of Spanish larger late in to night, whilst eating a great big dish of Greek humous..
I think we get the point ,the world is international now,...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

uk+kiwi May 12th 2007 10:23 am

Usually they don't! ;)

Doesn't stop them liking them though.

Every now and then, I think to myself, ooo I'd love a great Thai curry (from Thailand) or a fabulous pizza (from Italy). Sadly I can't satisfy that desire/thought (for that's all it is) without spending a fortune! So a packet of Angel Delight or Jaffa Cakes at 3 x their UK retail price is hardly anything to worry about for those that can afford them. :)

I would guess it's the same as a kiwi overseas wishing they could have their favourite bottle of wine or a glass of L&P (great with lager!), that isn't generally available overseas.

The kiwi shop in London has been doing very well for almost 20 years now too.

kiwi_child May 12th 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi (Post 4769889)
The kiwi shop in London has been doing very well for almost 20 years now too.

We have a kiwishop here in perth that is well patronised for all who miss Moro bars and L&P! Also now that cross&blackwell's piccalilli (British) has become so bloody hard to find, I am now looking to kiwishop for a decent pickle/chow chow at a reasonable price. A botique deli is charging just under $10 for a small jar of 'gourmet' piccalilli! The problem is ALL Australian pickle is this 'sweet mustard' shite...GOD IT's FOUL! And while Branston pickle is available, it's just not the same as a decent piccalilli.

Rascal May 12th 2007 9:55 pm

If you are enjoying NZ foods and have no wish to eat some of the things that you ate in the Uk, then thats good, but guess what? You know that it isn't just Brits who are buying the Uk products but Kiwis who have done their OE, return and miss the Uk products they have come to enjoy.
Good on you for enjoying just Kiwi products, can see you are easily pleased!:D

Rascal May 12th 2007 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 4769955)
We have a kiwishop here in perth that is well patronised for all who miss Moro bars and L&P! Also now that cross&blackwell's piccalilli (British) has become so bloody hard to find, I am now looking to kiwishop for a decent pickle/chow chow at a reasonable price. A botique deli is charging just under $10 for a small jar of 'gourmet' piccalilli! The problem is ALL Australian pickle is this 'sweet mustard' shite...GOD IT's FOUL! And while Branston pickle is available, it's just not the same as a decent piccalilli.

I know too of lots of Kiwis in Uk who miss their Milo, cant help it can we? Suppose its human nature to miss certain products we enjoy.:)

Rascal May 12th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 4769480)
Rascal, I posted about this the other day. My OH popped in and just bought a few favourite goodies. Next time he goes in hes going to get me some Ready Brek as I used to love the stuff.

Cherry, who said they were pining? If somebody wants to have a little treat now and again with something they really like to eat or drink (and pay over the odds for it) then thats their choice. Your post comes over as really harsh. It certainly didnt affect me from emigrating when I found out I couldnt get Angel Delight here or Lemon Dip Dabs. :confused:

Sarah, my hubby bought some Ready Brek too! he loves it and has been eating it non stop since yesterday!:lol:

cherry May 13th 2007 2:16 am

RESULT :thumbsup:
Just as I predicted
I have lived and worked in other countries that have had a Brit influence but have always tried and mostly liked "NATIVE" as I do here and will always do so .I love this place and to join in here and not winge or pine for stuff you miss .Well you know the rest ,want a wind up ask here .:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I eat local always .

Rascal May 13th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4772516)
Just as I predicted
I have lived and worked in other countries

So have I and yup have eaten local foods also and enjoyed them, I always try the local food rather than turn my nose up before trying and you know what, some I enjoy. But it doesn't stop me craving certain things that I enjoyed for 40 yrs or so in UK.:D :D
Better tell the NZIS that anyone who may crave foods from their own country will not be given PR!:D ;)

tootsie May 13th 2007 9:02 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4772516)
Just as I predicted
I have lived and worked in other countries that have had a Brit influence but have always tried and mostly liked "NATIVE" as I do here and will always do so .I love this place and to join in here and not winge or pine for stuff you miss .Well you know the rest ,want a wind up ask here .:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I eat local always .

So what sort of stuff do you buy? just interested in what you consider "NATIVE" NZ food to be.

Rascal it's good to hear that a great kiwi institution like Paknslave are broadening their range of international foods. It should be good to be able to buy UK stuff without having to pay rip off prices.

mickey_d May 13th 2007 10:15 am

just interested in what you consider "NATIVE" NZ food to be.

Cheese & Beef Pies & Cakes, thats about all you see the native NewZealanders eat.:D

SarahB May 13th 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 4773147)
just interested in what you consider "NATIVE" NZ food to be.

Cheese & Beef Pies & Cakes, thats about all you see the native NewZealanders eat.:D

How about Pineapple Chunks and Choccy Fish?:)

....I just asked my OH what he thought NZ native food is and his answer was "pies".:D