UK Goodies

Old May 13th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Goodies

Originally Posted by SarahB
How about Pineapple Chunks and Choccy Fish?

....I just asked my OH what he thought NZ native food is and his answer was "pies".
Old May 13th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand food from NZ.Com site:-

New Zealand Food
Ngahuru ki runga, ngahuru ki raro, maa te paroparo e aki
Ten above, ten below, let the skull grind them together
A definitive answer to the question of whether Pavlovas were invented in NZ or Australia.
Ross Finlayson's page about what a kiwi is and isn't. (Not a kiwifruit.).
Information about Vegemite and the related substance Marmite.
Pavlovas, pies and the Edmond's Cookbook.
The delicate matter of huhu grubs.
How to make
Ginger Beer (excellent - I've tried it)
Afghan Biscuits
ANZAC Biscuits
Roast Lamb
Pavlovas
HokeyPokey
Banana Sandwiches
Golden Syrup
Gingernuts
Old May 13th 2007, 9:36 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm - Anzac biscuits - to think that I used to believe I was in heaven when I had a pack of hobnobs in front of me. Then we came here and I discovered the angelic Anzacs

Dipped in a cuppa, just a tad soggy, mmmmmm, I could go on ...
Old May 13th 2007, 10:25 pm
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice

Originally Posted by KiwiKate
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm - Anzac biscuits - to think that I used to believe I was in heaven when I had a pack of hobnobs in front of me. Then we came here and I discovered the angelic Anzacs

Dipped in a cuppa, just a tad soggy, mmmmmm, I could go on ...

Oh yes the ANZAC not just a normal biccie.
Old May 13th 2007, 10:44 pm
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Huhu grubs? don't recall seeing them in Paknsave plenty in the woodpile though and best eaten raw.

Sill waiting for a truely native NZ food that you couldn't find an equivalent of in Asda or Tescos.

So far it's looking like most native NZ foods aren't .
Old May 15th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

sorry but I patronise my local Brit shop, cos my mates own it.

Walkers of course
Tin of custard
piccallili (yuk, OH not me)
ben shaws dandelion and burdoc ( was made in my home town ) and is cultural for the kids lol
polo's
mr porkies
and ready brek made with milk and then the sugar on top
and if i am feeling flash mr kiplins

sad but true, dont care, i loves it,

Last edited by dubstar; May 15th 2007 at 10:29 am.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubstar
sorry but I patronise my locasl Brit shop, cos my mates own it.

Walkers of course
Tin of custard
piccallili (yuk, OH not me)
ben shaws dandelion and burdoc ( was made in my home town ) and is cultural for the kids lol
polo's
mr porkies
and ready brek made with milk and then the sugar on top
and if i am feeling flash mr kiplins

sad but true, dont care, i loves it,
Ohhhhhhhhhh Ready Brek!!! My OH is going to get me some next time he goes. My favourite was the chocolate flavour, but the original will do. I used to put stacks of sugar on top too!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Aint it funny, I guess its because I associate food with comfort, and its something familiar in a strange place.

When we were on our reccie, we visited some folks we know in the bay of islands. We asked them what they missed after 5 years, vicki's first response was Walkers crisps and Nigels was decent beer.

We went into a supermarket when we were over, must have looked really odd walking round identifying all the familiar products like a pair of loonies.

What we did notice though was a complete lack of ready meals in the fridge area, in my opinion not an altogether bad thing. Oh yeah and no toy aisle hurrah, can't see my daughter wanting to help with the weekly shop any more....lol
Old May 15th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nisey
Aint it funny, I guess its because I associate food with comfort, and its something familiar in a strange place.

When we were on our reccie, we visited some folks we know in the bay of islands. We asked them what they missed after 5 years, vicki's first response was Walkers crisps and Nigels was decent beer.

We went into a supermarket when we were over, must have looked really odd walking round identifying all the familiar products like a pair of loonies.

What we did notice though was a complete lack of ready meals in the fridge area, in my opinion not an altogether bad thing. Oh yeah and no toy aisle hurrah, can't see my daughter wanting to help with the weekly shop any more....lol
We really missed Fray Bentos pies.... I mentioned it to my mum and next week one arrives in the post!! It didnt taste as good as we remembered it to, but was still nice to have it to eat. Gotta be careful what I say to my mum or she just goes and buys it and sends it to me!! lol

Youre right, there arnt very many ready meals at all.....not like Tescos. We dont mind, we BBQ here most of the year round.... the local meat is so good and such good value.... in 2 years of being here Ive never had to drain any fat when I've cooked minced meat, the beef is that good!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

My OH returned home the other day with a "real" jar of Heinz Salad Cream from the English Shop. You can buy the Heinz brand here, and I thought it would be the same but we compared the ingredients and they are totally different!!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

i have a secret cravin of ye olde oak hot dog sausages YUK i am not pregant either, with fried onions oh yes

and.. marks and spencer steak the one thats in the can 3quid a can!!!

must agree about good quality meat over here its fab

but i do miss a 99p boil in the bag pataks from iceland

i apologise to everyone for the above comments i cant help it
Old May 15th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dubstar
i have a secret cravin of ye olde oak hot dog sausages YUK i am not pregant either, with fried onions oh yes

and.. marks and spencer steak the one thats in the can 3quid a can!!!

must agree about good quality meat over here its fab

but i do miss a 99p boil in the bag pataks from iceland

i apologise to everyone for the above comments i cant help it
I used to like some tinned steak.... I cant remember the brand now??

I dont know the pataks boil in the bags but I did used to go to Tescos and buy their Italiano range meals.... 2 for £5! I used to work 3 eves a week and it was good to just stick one of these in the oven.

Those sausages were great!! lol.... better than the cr@p sausages here..... ooops did I mention sausages?? Naughty me!
Old May 15th 2007, 11:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SarahB
How about Pineapple Chunks and Choccy Fish?

....I just asked my OH what he thought NZ native food is and his answer was "pies".
I did that too and he said 'pies with cheese in them' coz thats what all the kiwis he works with eat all the time.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:06 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
just interested in what you consider "NATIVE" NZ food to be.
Hey, I've got a few:

Whitebait patties

Blue cod (or snapper) and chips

Marinated mussels

and even some more:
Good venison on the barbie
Toheroa, clams or pipis
Roast lamb, with roast pumpkin, tatties and yams
Spicy pumpkin soup
Boysenberry icecream
Flounder baked in foil on a campfire
Cooking with pikopiko, or horopito leaves
Own caught and home smoked fish
Vegies or fruit from your own garden
Evansdale blue brie style cheese from the market
Paua patties
Battered bluff oysters
Everything at the Hokitika Wild Food festival
Afghans, Lemmingtons, Ricky Road slice
Boiled sweets and honey flavoured bikkies on internal flights
Milo
Muttonbird
Crays from the roadside at Kaikoura
Cheerios (and fluffies) for the kids
Smoked chicken
HotSmoked kingfish or salmon
Old May 16th 2007, 2:54 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza

Or just plain by themselves:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.