British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   UK full driving licence query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/uk-full-driving-licence-query-797041/)

Boycee May 14th 2013 8:15 pm

UK full driving licence query

Hi, I would like to know what level of NZ driving licence my full UK car licence is equivalent too.
Also my Girlfriends UK PCV/Coach/Bus licence.
Cheers Boycee

MrsFychan May 14th 2013 8:36 pm

Re: UK full driving licence query

not sure on your girlfriends but if you have a full UK car licence then you have a year in which to get your NZ one. All it takes is a trip to the local AA shop, eye test (if you are a AA member you can get a free one at Spec savers every 2 years, just say its for your licence), fill in a form, have a photo taken and pays your money. you get a temp one there and then and they send the master one in the post a week or so later.

Boycee May 14th 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, I am applying for a job that states I must have a class 1 licence, will my UK one be the equivalent?
Boycee

ellenarosemary May 14th 2013 11:07 pm

Yes it will be fine as class 1 is the lowest class driving licence so the UK one will at least be that.

MrsFychan May 14th 2013 11:11 pm

just looked at mine and it states classes/endorsements 1 = Motorcar, light motor vehicle 6 - Motorcycle.
So I'm assuming I can drive all the above.

have a look here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html

as it may answer the question more fully and may help with out girlfriends query

downunderpom May 15th 2013 12:14 am

Aren't you forgetting the written test? I have a full UK licence and had to do a multi-choice test before being granted a licence.

No practical, just written, or have the rules been changed?

MrsFychan May 15th 2013 12:21 am

nope didn't need to do one, got mine October last year (2012)

downunderpom May 15th 2013 2:54 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10708386)
nope didn't need to do one, got mine October last year (2012)

Must have changed the rules - I got mine in early 2006

ellenarosemary May 15th 2013 3:56 am

Great got to do ours soon, had the exact same conversation with my brother who said had to do a theory test - great we dont have too. thanks

Boycee May 15th 2013 8:03 am

As usual prompt & informative. Thanks to one & all.
Boycee

Engel May 15th 2013 1:25 pm

Do you surrender you UK licence or is it just proof of a licence? When I lived in Canada I swapped my UK licence for a New Brunswick one to get a car and cheaper insurance. Then just swapped back when I returned to the UK. Is that how it works in NZ?

Persephone May 15th 2013 6:21 pm

You just need to show your licence. They don't take it away from you.

You don't legally need car insurance in NZ so I don't know whether changing your licence will affect the cost very much:unsure: However I have never driven and would not like to drive in NZ without insurance:lol:

It would be helpful to have proof of your insurance history. Though they did just take my word for it that I'd had no claims ever [I was honest as well:p], another person and/or another company might be a bit less trusting!

jmh May 15th 2013 9:27 pm

When I insured through the AA I hadn't got my NZ licence yet. I checked with them when they quoted and it didn't affect the cost of the premium but pumped up the excess charge. You can pay for the insurance and then contact them when you get your licence to change the info on their database. A month later a woman drive into the side of me, so I was really glad of the cover. AA was very easy to deal with and there was no excess as I got the driver's details (obviously this will vary with providers).

When I got my NZ licence in 2011 I think the rules had changed just before so that you didn't have to sit a test any more.

Persephone May 16th 2013 6:16 pm

I got my licence in 2008 and didn't need to do a written test then. Think it had just changed when I got mine:unsure:

Hazelnut May 20th 2013 9:04 am

I can tow my horse trailer and drive up to a 7.5ton van/lorry on my current UK licence as I'm so old I am exempt from having to take the new trailer test :D . Does all of that transfer too or would I need to take a test?