Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Dualit Toaster and Kettle

UK Dualit Toaster and Kettle

Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all
Default UK Dualit Toaster and Kettle

Are there ways round being able to use my new dualit kettle and toaster in NZ, they were wedding presents.

Whilst my kiwi relies have said "ah hell don't worry about it, bring them over and just change the plug"

I wanted to check it out.

having researched the cost of the same appliance in NZ I really want to hang on to them x
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dualit Toaster and Kettle

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013
... really want to hang on to them

Don't blame you. Love my Dualit toaster. Have heard the kettles aren't maybe quite as reliable, though.

Your relatives are right. You can just change the plugs. NZ mains voltage is the same as the UK's (220-240 volts), and isn't like the USA where it's 110 volts. No need for any mains adapters.

I've heard that plugs can be a bit pricey over there if you don't ship around and you've got tons of electrical goods to swap over. Perhaps someone who has made the move might be able to offer suggestions on how to deal with that. I've heard of people taking UK plug boxes over and just changing the one plug on that instead of replacing lots of UK plugs.

Alos, NZ mains plugs do not contain fuses.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh NZ plug sockets, bain of my life. we have both, swapped from british plug to nz plug and use gangs of english plugs. NZ plug sockets don't have the same grip as the UK ones. hoovering is a nightmare and I bought NZ hoover, stupid plug is always falling out there is just no grip. and for some reason most of the plug sockets are in the middle of the wall and not nicely tucked by the skirting, so you can hide with furniture, go figure
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

The cheapest NZ plugs I found were just over $3 in Pak n save. We changed all the ones that we could to NZ plugs, everything works fine. We bought with us several multi socket extension leads and the just changed the main plug to NZ so all the TV and DVD etc are still UK plugs

Agree with MrsF NZ plugs just fall out
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:23 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Take them. We took our dualit toaster over 8 years ago and shock horror haven't even changed the plug! We just use an adaptor. It's on every day and is still perfect. I changed loads of plugs over when we arrived and had lost the will to live by the time I got to the toaster!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. It's no longer a kettle, it's a jug.

Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

The UK to NZ adaptors at Briscoes seem to work well as a short term fix. They have 3 pins, sit tight against the socket and don't fall out of the wall easily; unlike some of the naff 2 pin adaptors. On offer they are about $7.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traveldapter...569556&sr=1-85

I have one of these. They are awesome.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes just change the plug top to an NZ one.
Cheapest decent quality I've found is $3.24 in Countdown. I usually buy a couple every time I go in and slowly replace the plugs on our UK electricals.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:23 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Our toaster (not dualit) is still working well after two and a half years in NZ using an NZ adaptor.

So is our fridge/freezer and my hairdryer. Not surprisingly our Christmas lights are too. My husband's drill needs an adaptor plug.

The only thing that has a replacement plug on it is our vacuum cleaner. I asked a friendly electrician to do it as he was doing work at our house anyway.

We have replaced things by attrition i.e. new iron, new microwave oven, phone chargers etc. Of course, these came with NZ plugs.

We've got socket sets where required. These are known as power boards in NZ.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:48 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013
Are there ways round being able to use my new dualit kettle and toaster in NZ, they were wedding presents.

Whilst my kiwi relies have said "ah hell don't worry about it, bring them over and just change the plug"

I wanted to check it out.

having researched the cost of the same appliance in NZ I really want to hang on to them x
Plugs and sockets are rated for 10amps in NZ. This means your appliances need to consume under 2300 watts (230 volts x 10amps) to be used safely.

You can change the plugs no problem.

If you want to use higher rated appliances up to 15 amps, you will need to get different plugs and have an electrician change one of your sockets to a matching 15amp socket, as well as checking that the wiring in your house is up to the job.

Last edited by JPA; Aug 27th 2013 at 7:57 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

I brought a load of UK 4 socket extention leads with me and changed the plug to NZ one only $2.20 at New World then left all the uk plugs on every thing so at least they are fused unlike NZ plugs.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody bothers but you are supposed to get a Kiwi sparky to change the plug for you and certify it

Neil
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Purrball
p.s. It's no longer a kettle, it's a jug.

No......No...not a jug......its a KETTLE!!!!!...!!!!

Same as my hoover is a hoover and not a vacuum cleaner or lux!!!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:14 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'll put the jug on seems to replace I'll put the kettle on.

It's a kettle in our house and always will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.