Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence

UK driving licence

Old May 6th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK driving licence

I had the old paper uk driving licence when i moved to NZ.
I now have an NZ licence but cant find my UK one.
Where do i go to get a new uk one?
Old May 6th 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by colandros
Unless you have a residence in the UK, the DVLA will not issue a replacement licence.

If you do, you will need someone to send you a 'D1' form, fill it out and return it to "DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085
Old May 6th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you're allowed to have both Col x
Old May 9th 2011, 9:35 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want the UK one??
Old May 9th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I might not be here forever !!!
Old May 9th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Question Re: UK driving licence

I might not be here forever !!!
I have my Uk licence, we arrive in three weeks. Is it ture you have to re-sit your test after 1 year of residence?
Old May 9th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Col,
assuming you've now only got a NZ licence, I think you'd just swap it for a UK one if you become a Uk resident again, just the reverse process of a Brit arriving in NZ, this link might help:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022559
John.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:41 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john and julie
I have my Uk licence, we arrive in three weeks. Is it ture you have to re-sit your test after 1 year of residence?
You have 1 year to get the license. It costs $44 and is nothing more than an eye test and filling out a form. Not sure after 1 year. You also have to carry your license at all times, when driving.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you dont have to do any tests to get your NZ licence.
You can swap it for an nz licence at any time.
You can drive on your uk licence for up to 1 year but must change it
after that.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:49 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/tips/as...Z-licence.aspx
Old May 16th 2011, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I don't believe there are any rules that you cannot have both. I still have both, and have found it came in handy. We went to Europe last year on holiday, and hiring a car in Barcelona, they would not accept OH's NZ driving license, only my UK one (this was through Avis)....they wanted OH to have international license. It suited me fine, as he is a Kiwi, and his driving makes me nervous, so I did the driving

I believe that when you get your NZ license, your UK license is connected to it, so no pulling the wool over any police officers eyes if you get pulled over just trying to show your UK license and avoiding points! I am sure we are all safe drivers on here though!!
Old May 16th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats why i was asking, planning return trip to uk euroland next year
and didnt want any hassles that a kiwi licence might bring.
I'm going to buy a cheap car and abandon it as it'll be cheaper than renting one
Old May 16th 2011, 11:02 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why i was asking, planning return trip to uk euroland next year
and didnt want any hassles that a kiwi licence might bring.
I'm going to buy a cheap car and abandon it as it'll be cheaper than renting one
But how would you tax and insure it? Don't forget UK is smoothered with ANPR cameras even at most filling stations.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
I believe that when you get your NZ license, your UK license is connected to it, so no pulling the wool over any police officers eyes if you get pulled over just trying to show your UK license and avoiding points! I am sure we are all safe drivers on here though!!
You swap one for the other so yes there is a clear link between the two on the NZ driver record.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stormer999
But how would you tax and insure it? Don't forget UK is smoothered with ANPR cameras even at most filling stations.
you can get insurance by the day 7 day 2 weeks etc loads of companies do temp cover 2 weeks around $150 dollars!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.