Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence

UK driving licence

Old May 3rd 2010, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question UK driving licence

Hi guys,

When you moved to NZ what did you do with your UK driving licence? Did you tell DVLA you were moving abroad? And if so do you have to 'surrender' your licence as you can not register a UK licence to foreign address?

We have NZ licences and wonder if there is any point in keeping the UK one. I think I have read that you 'have to' tell the DVLA of change of address or you can be fined etc?
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi guys,

When you moved to NZ what did you do with your UK driving licence? Did you tell DVLA you were moving abroad? And if so do you have to 'surrender' your licence as you can not register a UK licence to foreign address?

We have NZ licences and wonder if there is any point in keeping the UK one. I think I have read that you 'have to' tell the DVLA of change of address or you can be fined etc?
The DVLA only will record a new address IN ENGLAND. You could be fined if you move from London to Weymouth and say nothing and the reason its law is that if you don't tell them they have trouble tracking you down re fines and summons..makes sense aye?

You have no obligation whatsoever to tell them anything. As to what to do with the UK one? Keep it. You never know if you may need it again. I have kept mine and been away 5 years and have no intention of returning on a perm. basis. When driving on vacation in the UK I will present my kiwi licence if needed to.
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

DVLA won't accept an overseas address so best if you change it to a family or friend's address in the UK.

You don't surrender it here, just show it to get a NZ one (go to the AA for this and the quick sight test).
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

You're fine to keep a paper one forever (well, until 65/70) but the photocard & counterpart one needs renewing every 10 years. The renewal for that specifies that when you're signing you're confirming that you are resident in the UK.

It's actually cheaper to let it lapse and get a new one if you go back (same exchange is possible so no test). Unless you know that you are going back soon.

The DVLA website states as others have said that you don't have to inform them if leaving the UK for good.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:57 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

We are coming over in a few weeks, both have UK driving licences.

OH had lost his photocard so ordered new one (£20 ), he now has paper and photocard.

I can't find my paper bit but have photocard... is this enough to bring to NZ to use for the 1st year and then to get a NZ licence? Or should I pay another £20 and get the paper bit too?!

Thanks
Old May 5th 2010, 8:02 am

Anyone?
Old May 5th 2010, 8:08 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Anyone?
Not much help, but used driving license photocard for IRD application, didn't need paper bit, haven't converted to NZ driving license......Numptyhead has tho, when I can ask her will let you know.
B x
Old May 5th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

I wouldn't bother getting the paper license if you have the plastic one. Just get an NZ one when you arrive. It's as simple as going to an AA centre, taking an elimentary eye test and having your picture taken. No worries
Old May 5th 2010, 9:29 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK no-one else anywhere in the world understands the UK paper bit so don´t expect or ask for it once they see the plastic card bit...
Old May 6th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We are coming over in a few weeks, both have UK driving licences.

OH had lost his photocard so ordered new one (£20 ), he now has paper and photocard.

I can't find my paper bit but have photocard... is this enough to bring to NZ to use for the 1st year and then to get a NZ licence? Or should I pay another £20 and get the paper bit too?!

Thanks
Personally, I would get the paper bit. Officially the UK licence is only valid when presented with the counterpart. We showed both parts in Oz to get our licence, admittedly we didn't try and get away with just the plastic, but is it worth the risk when you'll be thousands of miles away.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

They are not interested in the paper bit in NZ or Aussie I wouldn,t bother

Neil
Old May 6th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz

The DVLA website states as others have said that you don't have to inform them if leaving the UK for good.
Hi, where on the DVLA website does it say this? I am having trouble finding it!
Old May 6th 2010, 12:26 pm

Thanks for all the feedback

Just thought, may not need it for NZ but will I need the paper bit for car hire in the U.S for our mini-trip on the way to NZ?!
Old May 6th 2010, 6:06 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the feedback

Just thought, may not need it for NZ but will I need the paper bit for car hire in the U.S for our mini-trip on the way to NZ?!
I never have, the only traffic cop I have spoken to didn't expect or ask for it either - guess how I know
Old May 6th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Iv,e had cars in the states on just a credit card in the past

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.