Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Driving Licence

UK Driving Licence

Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK Driving Licence

Ok now I know you have to do the theory test here to get an NZ licence, but what happens to your UK licence, you dont have to surrender it, but what do you do about the address on it, baring in mind that you probably no longer own/live in the address you put on it

When I get my arse into gear, one of these days I might actually get around to doing the theory test again...YES YES I failed it once

NO LAUGHING NOW PLEASE
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Driving Licence

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Ok now I know you have to do the theory test here to get an NZ licence, but what happens to your UK licence, you dont have to surrender it, but what do you do about the address on it, baring in mind that you probably no longer own/live in the address you put on it

When I get my arse into gear, one of these days I might actually get around to doing the theory test again...YES YES I failed it once

NO LAUGHING NOW PLEASE
ha ha ha
me too! I did do it again straight away and passed, I was gutted at having to pay again though! I didn't drive in UK, failed a test and didn't bother with it again, I had my bike, a good bus/train service and love walking so didn't see it necessary. Its different here though, you really need a car. I dont know what I would do without it now.

How you doing anyway?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
ha ha ha
me too! I did do it again straight away and passed, I was gutted at having to pay again though! I didn't drive in UK, failed a test and didn't bother with it again, I had my bike, a good bus/train service and love walking so didn't see it necessary. Its different here though, you really need a car. I dont know what I would do without it now.

How you doing anyway?
Doing just fine today, had a busy weekend again, had stuff to do around the house, and wait for a tabel and chairs to be delivered and then on sunday, we had to clean the rental house, we have to hand the keys back on thursday (had a 2 week overlap) but its spotless now, much cleaner than when we moved in (the carpet had fleas) but I have a feeling they will find someway of keeping the bond, which I will be highly peeved at if they do

Hows you?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Doing just fine today, had a busy weekend again, had stuff to do around the house, and wait for a tabel and chairs to be delivered and then on sunday, we had to clean the rental house, we have to hand the keys back on thursday (had a 2 week overlap) but its spotless now, much cleaner than when we moved in (the carpet had fleas) but I have a feeling they will find someway of keeping the bond, which I will be highly peeved at if they do

Hows you?

All good. Had friends round Sunday for bbq, the heard the news that one of our best friends had her baby at 2.30 that afternoon, a little girl, sister for her 3 yr old. Excellent news, went to see her yesterday, baby is adorable, of course! She had c-section and will be leaving hosp. on thursday.

Does your landlord hold the bond then? Ours was at tennancy services and all our landlord had to do was sign a form for us to get it back. I think there has to be a very good reason for you not to get it back. I stressed about it as ours was $1800 and we needed it to pay solicitors!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

All good. Had friends round Sunday for bbq, the heard the news that one of our best friends had her baby at 2.30 that afternoon, a little girl, sister for her 3 yr old. Excellent news, went to see her yesterday, baby is adorable, of course! She had c-section and will be leaving hosp. on thursday.

Does your landlord hold the bond then? Ours was at tennancy services and all our landlord had to do was sign a form for us to get it back. I think there has to be a very good reason for you not to get it back. I stressed about it as ours was $1800 and we needed it to pay solicitors!
it has gone to the tenancy services like yours did, but some of the things they put that we had to do were certainly not done before we moved in, such as cleaning the carpets, in fact i gave the whole place a good clean before we moved in, it wasnt to my standards, Cus I am very picky about stuff like that
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

it has gone to the tenancy services like yours did, but some of the things they put that we had to do were certainly not done before we moved in, such as cleaning the carpets, in fact i gave the whole place a good clean before we moved in, it wasnt to my standards, Cus I am very picky about stuff like that

oh, well I guess unless there are any stains that weren't there before you moved in, then you are OK? I cleaned ours (hired a rug doctor, it was really good) but that was because of the little 'baby bagdes' that happened whilst we were there! Hope you dont get ripped off, we did back in UK, it was very frustrating!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Ok now I know you have to do the theory test here to get an NZ licence
Hi

i was under the impression you had to do a theory in NZ ?! Well thats what I told my hubby last night whilst I was frantically studying for my Theory which I have booked for next Wednesday !!! :scared: I passed my Theory with flying colours 6 years ago but then went on to fail my Practical test and never got back in a car again until 2 weeks ago! I'm hoping I will have passed my test before going - but do I have to do another test there or is mypass (v. optimistic ) here enough ??? Also, where will hubby do his Theory, here or NZ ??? I was laughing at him last night when he got most of his answers wrong cause he said he could drive and didn't need to do a Theory! HA

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Well, I do feel a little sorry for you kwprwn *pat on the back* (is that pronounced kiwiprawn at all? ).
I'd be more afraid of another driving test though. We drive on the other side of the road here. Can you imagine what it was like for me to drive in the UK. "You're too close to the gutter" was much of the conversation we had in the rented car there. I did bring it back without a scratch, but I needed another week's holiday when we'd returned to Munich.

The spouse failed his first driving test in the UK (as did I). He hates cars, anyway, and is a fanatical walker/cyclist/public transport user like you, Jude K. But he has been considering going for the licence after all when we go to NZ. Is it as expensive there as it is here? Getting the licence nowadays costs around NZ$ 4,000. I really hope, I will get away with a theoretical test as well. I haven't actually looked into that.

Anyway, fingers are crossed for your next attempt.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi

i was under the impression you had to do a theory in NZ ?! Well thats what I told my hubby last night whilst I was frantically studying for my Theory which I have booked for next Wednesday !!! :scared: I passed my Theory with flying colours 6 years ago but then went on to fail my Practical test and never got back in a car again until 2 weeks ago! I'm hoping I will have passed my test before going - but do I have to do another test there or is mypass (v. optimistic ) here enough ??? Also, where will hubby do his Theory, here or NZ ??? I was laughing at him last night when he got most of his answers wrong cause he said he could drive and didn't need to do a Theory! HA

Michelle & Carl
Just the nz theory test is all you have to do, fortunately you dont have to do the practical if you have the full uk licence (thank god for that)

I dont want to try the thoery again in case I fail again, i should have bought a nz highway code book really just to read thru as they ask you questions such as how much can something hang over the front of the car if you are carrying it on the roof...I dont bloody know or care, like I will ever drive with something sticking 6 foot in front of the car!!!! but you have to know this for some bizarre reason
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Goldberry
Well, I do feel a little sorry for you kwprwn *pat on the back* (is that pronounced kiwiprawn at all? ).
I'd be more afraid of another driving test though. We drive on the other side of the road here. Can you imagine what it was like for me to drive in the UK. "You're too close to the gutter" was much of the conversation we had in the rented car there. I did bring it back without a scratch, but I needed another week's holiday when we'd returned to Munich.

The spouse failed his first driving test in the UK (as did I). He hates cars, anyway, and is a fanatical walker/cyclist/public transport user like you, Jude K. But he has been considering going for the licence after all when we go to NZ. Is it as expensive there as it is here? Getting the licence nowadays costs around NZ$ 4,000. I really hope, I will get away with a theoretical test as well. I haven't actually looked into that.

Anyway, fingers are crossed for your next attempt.
it is an abbreviated form of kiwiprawn as when I tried that it was taken for an email address so i dropped the vowels, (it comes from kiwi - other half and Dawn the prawn - my nickname for many years at school - yes yes i know another reason to laugh at me again)

what with failing my theory test and a name like Dawn the Prawn...I should be the laughing stock of BE NZ forum I can live with it
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:32 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Dawn the prawn - my nickname for many years at school
I'll just empathise, Dawn.

Anyone here have any links on what would be required moving from the US? We have to renew our licences every 4 years here. When you get your first licence, you have to pay your fee (first, naturally ), then take an eye exam, then a written test (multiple choice), then the practical. If you keep your nose clean, like me , then you just get a "request" for the US$10 fee in the mail every 4 years, and they put the same photo on a new licence, or send you a sticker with a new expiration date, that goes on the back of your licence.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

it is an abbreviated form of kiwiprawn as when I tried that it was taken for an email address so i dropped the vowels, (it comes from kiwi - other half and Dawn the prawn - my nickname for many years at school - yes yes i know another reason to laugh at me again)

what with failing my theory test and a name like Dawn the Prawn...I should be the laughing stock of BE NZ forum I can live with it
you forgot about your addiction to walkers crisps!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

you forgot about your addiction to walkers crisps!
yes yes dont rub it in

surely you have something that we can humiliate you for
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

yes yes dont rub it in

surely you have something that we can humiliate you for
no no I'm perfect

Oh wait...I've got my own name wrong on two occasions, queued in a post office for about 20 last december to post a parcel to UK and realised I didn't have a parcel when I got to front of queue, nodded off to sleep in meetings several times but worse by far was when it was just two of us there, I constantly get lost driving around the place and I've been here 4 years, but apart from little things like that...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

no no I'm perfect

Oh wait...I've got my own name wrong on two occasions, queued in a post office for about 20 last december to post a parcel to UK and realised I didn't have a parcel when I got to front of queue, nodded off to sleep in meetings several times but worse by far was when it was just two of us there, I constantly get lost driving around the place and I've been here 4 years, but apart from little things like that...
sure you are

Theres probably a 101 other things I have done

I have got my name wrong before now

Ok now I have to go walk 5k round auckland domain for the corporate challenge..when I just want to go home and have abeer

see you tomorrow when I feel crippled and stiff and exhausted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.