Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK debt unmanageable.. Been in NZ 6 years

UK debt unmanageable.. Been in NZ 6 years

Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Rkeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK debt unmanageable.. Been in NZ 6 years

Hiya... Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I moved to NZ just over six years ago and am now a permanent resident..
I have a large amount of credit card debt in the UK. I've been paying the monthly minimum for six years and moving them around onto 0% interest balance transfers etc. But now with coronavirus (and a failed business attempt earlier this year) this is becoming harder and harder. I don't know what to do.
Please no lectures on borrowing... Young dumb and I know I was a bit of an idiot to rack up so much debt.
I've even looked into bankruptcy.
The Internet is an overflowing space of information and I don't know what sites to trust and what not...
Does anyone have any experience with debt charities or consolidation etc?
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this. Please advise if not.
Thanks heaps in advance.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK debt unmanageable.. Been in NZ 6 years

Hi and welcome to BE. This organisation, a debt charity, is recommended in the UK by the Citizens Advice Bureau so would be trustworthy. It's free to use and offers online advice, hopefully they'll be able to help you https://www.stepchange.org/
Best of luck.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Iv know quite a few people in laws and mates that have had todo debt freeze before going bankrupt.
They freeze the interest and put all the debt into one manageable account. the debt has no interest rates.
I imagine if your in NZ the would be more than happy it's better than just not paying it.
Only problem is if your planning on going back to the UK. It will mess your credit.
If you have assets in the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

You do know you lost the right to hold a UK credit card when you became normally resident in NZ aye ?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Contact those companies and talk to their credit/collections department. If they sell the debt on to a collector they'll probably get cents on the dollar and consequently would likely far rather reach an arrangement with you.

One of my first jobs was handling accounts in arrears and default.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
You do know you lost the right to hold a UK credit card when you became normally resident in NZ aye ?
Why? When I lived in NZ I had UK credit card and bank accounts! The statements all got sent to my NZ address!
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Contact those companies and talk to their credit/collections department. If they sell the debt on to a collector they'll probably get cents on the dollar and consequently would likely far rather reach an arrangement with you.

One of my first jobs was handling accounts in arrears and default.
Yes, second this. If you default, they get nothing, so they may be open to a settlement package. Particularly as you are in New Zealand.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Why? When I lived in NZ I had UK credit card and bank accounts! The statements all got sent to my NZ address!
Yup. So did we.
Have still got the UK bank account and other UK based investments. Nothing illegal about that, however we have not got UK credit cards anymore. The UK bank simply refused to renew them as we didn't remain eligible, as a condition of holding a UK credit card is that you are normally resident in the UK. It is there as a condition in the smallprint. Im sure one could easily get one by telling porkies and giving them a relatives or friends UK address but as I said that'd be committing fraud just so you can continue to play the 0% transfer game with your UK debt, especially when you've lived and worked in NZ the past 6 years.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. So did we.
Have still got the UK bank account and other UK based investments. Nothing illegal about that, however we have not got UK credit cards anymore. The UK bank simply refused to renew them as we didn't remain eligible, as a condition of holding a UK credit card is that you are normally resident in the UK. It is there as a condition in the smallprint. Im sure one could easily get one by telling porkies and giving them a relatives or friends UK address but as I said that'd be committing fraud just so you can continue to play the 0% transfer game with your UK debt, especially when you've lived and worked in NZ the past 6 years.
Yeah same as loans.
Banks wont give you credit cards or give you a loan.
I got told when I changed my account and address before I moved.
I could still get one because my accounts are still in a UK address but your suppose to declare your living abroad. yeah its fraud.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. So did we.
The bank knew I had emigrated and they also renewed my credit and debit cards while I was in NZ.
Maybe its just your bank?

The same when I moved back to the UK.
I've still got a Westpac account and until recently had their credit card too. They offered to renew it but I never bothered!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Apr 15th 2020 at 1:23 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 10:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Was never an issue for me but I never explicitly asked. I just updated my address to a New Zealand one and they sent my statements and replacement cards to my New Zealand address.