UK Childcare Diploma recognized in NZ??-please help

UK Childcare Diploma recognized in NZ??-please help

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:57 am
Just Joined

karolinka is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Childcare Diploma recognized in NZ??-please help

Hi,
I am looking for help...
Have been happinly living in NZ for over 1 1/2 years but now finally (due to the age of our children) wanting to go back to work.
I have CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education from UK plus several courses I have done through Open University in Childcare and now I am wondering, if they will recognise these qualification and make it their ECE here in New Zealand.
Obviously I know there is an easy (but unfortunatelly very expensive) answer to this-to contact the board and ask them, but currently it costs $730! and I was wondering if anyone went through this or know...before I sent lots of cash away for them to tell me that is it NOt good enough for them.

Really appreciate any help!
Thanks!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: UK Childcare Diploma recognized in NZ??-please help

....bump...

Anyone ?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

I would be very interested in the answer for this one too as my daughter will be doing this course in the UK before we go out to NZ in two years time. I have noticed you can do this course in the colleges in NZ so i would have thought that meant it was a recognised diploma in NZ. Verification on this would be great though
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:53 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry cant verify but saw this

http://newzealandjobs.net/927878-APP...A-NURSERY.html

Which would lead me to think that yes it is recognised. Could you be a bit cheeky and phone up one of the colleges offering the course and have a chat to them?

HTH
Dewb
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Think your best bet is to email Min of Edu in Wellington, or contact the Childcare centres in person. NZ certainly don't seem to recognise any UK qualifications in Early Years Education, in the teaching sector. Sorry can't help more. Good luck
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

karolinka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks everyone for your help.
So far though, no luck
I have called several local Kindies, and their either see me as wasting their time or have no idea...
So it looks that I will have to spend the ridiculous $720 and hope for the best.
Once I do get a response, will let you know.
Many thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:47 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karolinka
So far though, no luck
I have called several local Kindies, and their either see me as wasting their time or have no idea...
So it looks that I will have to spend the ridiculous $720 and hope for the best.
Many thanks!
Oh dear you get a good answer. Thanks for coming back as I'm sure the outcome will be useful to some on here.

Dewb
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

So far though, no luck
Many thanks!
Did you email the Min of Ed in Wellington??????
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I was in a similar situation to you, I have NVQ 3 teaching assistant which I completed in superfast time as was told by my assessor it was a worldwide recognised qualification ...... sooooo untrue !!!!!!

When we arrived last August, I too rang round various schools claiming my NVQ was just what they needed in an employee but alas I had the same response "NVQ????? You need to contact NZQA, we've never heard of it" and like you say $700 is a lot of money.Fortunately things worked out for me, i started volunteering in my daughters primary school and took my folders in to show the principal. A new term later they offered me a job with qualified rate and recognition that I knew my stuff ......

I dont know I was any help but totally understand the frustration of the whole qualification malarky. I also know another lady with her NVQ and has a really good job working with special needs, you can get work but may need to start at the bottom then work your way up !!!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:20 am
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by mac917
Hi,
I was in a similar situation to you, I have NVQ 3 teaching assistant which I completed in superfast time as was told by my assessor it was a worldwide recognised qualification ...... sooooo untrue !!!!!!

When we arrived last August, I too rang round various schools claiming my NVQ was just what they needed in an employee but alas I had the same response "NVQ????? You need to contact NZQA, we've never heard of it" and like you say $700 is a lot of money.Fortunately things worked out for me, i started volunteering in my daughters primary school and took my folders in to show the principal. A new term later they offered me a job with qualified rate and recognition that I knew my stuff ......

I dont know I was any help but totally understand the frustration of the whole qualification malarky. I also know another lady with her NVQ and has a really good job working with special needs, you can get work but may need to start at the bottom then work your way up !!!
That is good to know I have BTEC level 2 & 3 Teaching Assistants qualification.When I looked at courses offered in NZ they looked exactly the same as the the BTEC and NVQ. I was also going to bring in references from the school I currently work in. Did assume though it would be best to start volunteering then go from there

Dewb
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I can help you with this. I have an NNEB . I contacted the CACHE office in UK before I came to NZ and a they wrote a lovely cover letter detailing the courses I'd done to update the NNEB. This would all be recognized in OZ but not here . I have ended up working in a school as a teacher aide. They enjoy all my experience with special needs children and my dip. in specific learning difficulties but the pay doesn't reflect the experience I have.
I was told that I'd need to go back to college and take a degree in EC . Which would be expensive! If younger I'd do it. Again I was told I could ask NZQA to recognize the qualifications and get a few credits but that all cost lots of money!!
Helen - PM me if you want to chat about it.

Hi,
I am looking for help...
Have been happinly living in NZ for over 1 1/2 years but now finally (due to the age of our children) wanting to go back to work.
I have CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education from UK plus several courses I have done through Open University in Childcare and now I am wondering, if they will recognise these qualification and make it their ECE here in New Zealand.
Obviously I know there is an easy (but unfortunatelly very expensive) answer to this-to contact the board and ask them, but currently it costs $730! and I was wondering if anyone went through this or know...before I sent lots of cash away for them to tell me that is it NOt good enough for them.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

basil158 is an unknown quantity at this point

UK does not recognise NZ quals after 4 years so its is likely to be reciprocal.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:51 am
Just Joined

shoppie381 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

good website to look at is teachnz. I have a BA (hons) Early Childhood Studies and getting it accessed by nzqa and they are undecided if it that relate to anything in nz. Trying to apply under the long term shortages skill list, which needs early childhood educators at level 7, which is extractly what my degree is in england and the whole reason i did it and now it looks like it a waste of time, i have no idea what degree i should of done instead! I really dont understand why it is so hard when the courses completed in nz convert easily into uk course but here so much harder!

good luck!!
Old May 15th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am looking for help...

Thanks!
Hi
I have been here in NZ for 3.1/2yrs i am on my hubbys log in. I have my BTEC NVQ3in early years care and education . To go back into full time teaching you will have to hav your qualification checked, when i thought about it about a yr about 1 1/2 yrs ago it was $500. But you will find it probably will not be recognised here, and you would have to do another year course here. I know this as after 3yrs of training i wasn't prepared to do another yr training for something I am qualified for and a cost of$500 OR $750 now. I am a teacher reliever instead for pre schools, which you are allowed to do without having your qualification assesed. I was asked at the plae i was relieving to work there full time but that does mean having to train the extra year and pay the assesement fee. There were other staff there that were also qualified in the uk, but had to train for the extra yr etc.
There is talk that the goverment is talking about recognising the uk qualification but how long that will take !!!!!!! sorry.