Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Child Tax Credits

UK Child Tax Credits

Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Child Tax Credits

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
oh bum - thought it was too good to be true
My sentiments exactly.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
Personally I am not telling them when we move. They can pay us all they want (minus what they are clawing back from the £6500 they overpaid us) - I am gone.

As for child allowance - you are allowed to claim that up to 12 months after you leave the country
after trying to sort things out with child tax credit last week they have now sent me back 2 reports.

first one says we still owe £2255:curse: the second one says we are now getting £50 a month

What do i do, do i phone them up and see what the craic is or do i say nothing?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

tom and jerry is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see there are others in a similar situations regarding Tax Credits, it's one of the reasons which finally pushed us into moving. We like so many others wish we had never claimed it, been overpaid and are now paying back out of our entitlement. We have tried to get them to take more money but each time we write to ask for more to be taken from our entitlement they generate an overpayment or hardship payment due to us disupting the amount they were taking back!!!!!?????!!! Finally asked it to be sent to us in giro form so that they cannot pay into bank accounts and we have around a grand stacked up in cupboard waiting to go back to them. So much for helping families. Anyway, we have been pondering over what will happen when we leave the UK and worrying about it. We are going to Canada on WP with a view to it being permanent. Applying for PR with a PNP at the same time. Can you still pay them back say £20 a month or something ridiculous until maybe they just write it off due to it taking so long?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Macd will become famous soon enoughMacd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tom and jerry
Glad to see there are others in a similar situations regarding Tax Credits, it's one of the reasons which finally pushed us into moving. We like so many others wish we had never claimed it, been overpaid and are now paying back out of our entitlement. We have tried to get them to take more money but each time we write to ask for more to be taken from our entitlement they generate an overpayment or hardship payment due to us disupting the amount they were taking back!!!!!?????!!! Finally asked it to be sent to us in giro form so that they cannot pay into bank accounts and we have around a grand stacked up in cupboard waiting to go back to them. So much for helping families. Anyway, we have been pondering over what will happen when we leave the UK and worrying about it. We are going to Canada on WP with a view to it being permanent. Applying for PR with a PNP at the same time. Can you still pay them back say £20 a month or something ridiculous until maybe they just write it off due to it taking so long?
We're in the same position, overpaid, allegedly, but you just can't reason with them. Just ignoring it at the moment and been about 6 months now since they last sent a letter. Also too "scared" to apply again, when it was just oh working must have been entitled to a significant amount but never going there again, will hopefully try and decide whether we are going to move and do so before they contact us again, then they can whistle for it. Always paid my debts but this just makes my blood boil.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

We shifted to NZ Jan 2007 and told them that we were moving and that we wanted to cancel receiving family allowances or whatever you call it. Still to this day we are receiving payments into our UK account. Any Idea how I can get these stopped and will i have to pay all the monies back?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:45 am
Just Joined

lauralou will become famous soon enoughlauralou will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maysie
We shifted to NZ Jan 2007 and told them that we were moving and that we wanted to cancel receiving family allowances or whatever you call it. Still to this day we are receiving payments into our UK account. Any Idea how I can get these stopped and will i have to pay all the monies back?

We are in much the same boat as Maysie. We left the UK in October 2006 to come to NZ on a PR visa. I phoned both the child benefit office and the tax credit office to tell them that we were emigrating and. Child benefit payments stopped the Monday after we left (which is what they told us would happen) but to this day we are still receiving monthly child tax credit payments of just under £40 from them into our UK account.
I have emailed several Inland Revenue departments telling them about their error but they all say the same thing - we can't help you online you must contact by phone or by post! And there was me thinking they would just be glad that we were being honest and stop paying us the money!!!!
After reading everybodys experiences with IR on here, I'm not sure I want to contact them. I dont mind paying back whats gone into our account since we left but I dont want a huge bill for stuff going back before that.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:04 am
Just Joined

smiler1 is an unknown quantity at this point

at least thats one worry i wont have!!! they for some reason said we were not entittled any even though we know we were..... we never claimed it or reapplied as we thought all these problems may occur and from lookig at this thread i think not having the money was a good idea!!! good luck to everyone who is still sorting this headache out!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

After living in NZ for three years and then moving to Oz and being here 9 months we have finally sorted things out with them, we did "ping pong" once which cocked everything up more than it already was!

Tax credit is a mess that needs to be sorted out.

It is better to keep them informed rather than keep quiet, they will track you down.

At the end of the day its up to the individual, but being a scouser I was honest with all the questions they asked

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future

Slightly off topic here. There is little point in not telling the Inland Revenue where you are moving to, certainly where the UK has double taxation agreements in force with other countries then there appears to be an increasing freedom of flow of information, and they do catch up with people eventually. If you move permanently abroad then surely you would not want to give up rights to any form of state pension entitlement from the UK would you. There is a sense that many people feel that claiming the state pension is a waste of time but for a married couple with both entitled to pension then it can be over £10K per annum.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:54 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but as far as others have said on this subject before, it doesn't get you anywhere in real terms as what you get from uk state pension gets deducted from your nz pension anyway.