Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK 2 NZ Jan 2010!!

UK 2 NZ Jan 2010!!

Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:58 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 2 NZ Jan 2010!!

[QUOTE=educateer;8100064]Hi B

Thanks for the welcome.

We are all flying out on 11th Jan (me, the wife + 2 young kids). I think that the next 8 weeks are going to be very busy. We have been told we may have too many things to put in a 40ft container just to add another complication. I wanted to bring my motorcycle but may have to leave it behind

We live on the Isle of Man so have one additional (and expensive) stretch of water to cross on our journey. The housing market here is unpredictable at the moment so I guess the house will sell when it sells!

I have just got around to updating my signature and forgot what most of the dates were. It was interesting to look back over how long the whole process took.

We are not sure where we are staying yet so I guess finding somewhere like a motel for a week or two is our first priority, shortly followed by arranging a hire car. We can go looking for a rental once we arrive.

Good luck with your move.

Hi Andrew.....not too long to wait then!!

Re accomodation.....have you tried the holiday rental's eg bookabach, NZ holiday homes etc or wotif.com .... you may be able to negotiate a discount off advertised prcies for a longer stay.

We are flying on to Wellington and luckily some friends have a 1 bed flat we can use for a few nights till we head off to South Is for a holiday.... before we go back to North Is to settle who knows where!!!

Previously we have found we can get a better deal if we book car hire when we arrive....not sure how practical this would be for you tho with 2 little ones.

B x
Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHAZMARK
Hello all

We will be making the trip out on the 8th Feb ...Air NZ Via LA

Anybody else flying that day ?

Mark
Best wishes for everything!!
B x
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

We fly out on 12th January with Singapore airlines - bound for the eastern suburbs in Auckland!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
Thanks Phyl....must admit we reluctantly booked via LA , but having weighed the pros & cons (and mentally weighed the luggage!!) we decided it's a means to an end for us....if it's as bad as some people have experienced then next time we'll try a different route.....previously have had stop overs in HK, KL and Langkawi and this time as its 'the big one!!' we just want to get there!!

By the way, heading down to SI for a holiday after a few nights in Wellington ... so may see you then
B x
Meet up for a coffee anytime....we can always talk about Angela!!!

Phyl x
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:58 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by weejie
Meet up for a coffee anytime....we can always talk about Angela!!!

Phyl x

B x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Lotty595 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - my first post on this forum.

I'm flying out to Welly via LA on 9th Jan on my own to a country I've been to once with no job and no house and I can't wait! It's taken me 2.5 years to sell my house, get the PR and save enough money to do it!

I'm staying with a cousin and then hopefully will be able to get a rental quickly as my stuff arrives on 15th! Bit worried as will be bringing a small dog and a lot of people don't seem to want to rent if you have pets....

I have no idea what area to live in and I think my head is going to explode soon with information overload!!

I've been reading lots of posts on here and they're very helpful - hopefully meet some of you soon?!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:57 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lotty595

I'm flying out to Welly via LA on 9th Jan on my own to a country I've been to once with no job and no house and I can't wait! It's taken me 2.5 years to sell my house, get the PR and save enough money to do it!

I'm staying with a cousin and then hopefully will be able to get a rental quickly as my stuff arrives on 15th! Bit worried as will be bringing a small dog and a lot of people don't seem to want to rent if you have pets....

I have no idea what area to live in and I think my head is going to explode soon with information overload!!

I've been reading lots of posts on here and they're very helpful - hopefully meet some of you soon?!
We can now confirm we are flying out on the 22nd Jan auckland via hong kong, anyone else coming???
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:25 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by Lotty595

Welcome Lotty!!!
Your plans sound similar to ours....no jobs to dictate where we settle so trying to decide what comes first job or home!! we fly 30th Jan....Heathrow/LA/Auckland/Wellington staying with friends intially, then holiday on South Is before heading off to see more friends on North Is then to settle who knows where!! Planning on spending Jan trying to decide!

Its just the two of us tho, no pets or children coming with us, leaving 28 yr old daughter & 23 yr old son in UK....not looking forward to those goodbyes!!

You must be so thrilled at long last being able to follow your dream!!
You've found a friendly and informative place to gain support & help....just ask & someone can usually help.
Good luck & best wishes for your new life in NZ!!
B x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:28 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
We can now confirm we are flying out on the 22nd Jan auckland via hong kong, anyone else coming???
You must be soooooo excited!! Are you stopping over in HK? We stopped 1 night on way out & 3 nights on way back last time we went to NZ .....loved it !!! thought the airport was brill too!!

You'll arrive a week before us!! OMG Tina after all you've been through we'll def have to have a big shin dig!!
lol B x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Lotty595 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MnB
Welcome Lotty!!!
Your plans sound similar to ours....no jobs to dictate where we settle so trying to decide what comes first job or home!! we fly 30th Jan....Heathrow/LA/Auckland/Wellington staying with friends intially, then holiday on South Is before heading off to see more friends on North Is then to settle who knows where!! Planning on spending Jan trying to decide!

Its just the two of us tho, no pets or children coming with us, leaving 28 yr old daughter & 23 yr old son in UK....not looking forward to those goodbyes!!

You must be so thrilled at long last being able to follow your dream!!
You've found a friendly and informative place to gain support & help....just ask & someone can usually help.
Good luck & best wishes for your new life in NZ!!
B x
Thanks B - enjoy the South Island! I did a bit of travelling there when I came over in June. Loved Kaikoura - lots of whales and seals!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice

Keeping fingers crossed we sell our house soon, then we will also be able to have a better idea when we will be booking our one way flights.

We have 18 months, the countdown begins!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:45 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MnB
You must be soooooo excited!! Are you stopping over in HK? We stopped 1 night on way out & 3 nights on way back last time we went to NZ .....loved it !!! thought the airport was brill too!!

You'll arrive a week before us!! OMG Tina after all you've been through we'll def have to have a big shin dig!!
lol B x
Oh yes for sure we will, we will have to put a thread on when back up north and maybe can arrange a meet up??? OMG that sounds great to say that!!!! 5 weeks and 2 days to go

Not staying over only have 1 & 1/2 hours stop so straight onto NZ, good eh?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:07 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Oh yes for sure we will, we will have to put a thread on when back up north and maybe can arrange a meet up??? OMG that sounds great to say that!!!! 5 weeks and 2 days to go

Not staying over only have 1 & 1/2 hours stop so straight onto NZ, good eh?
Will def post when in BoP area!! (prob around end of Feb'ish).....does sound crazy/great to say we'll meet up 12000 miles away in 2010 when you are only 1+bit hrs up the road where DD lives!!

Just time @ HK airport to stretch your legs a bit....great shopping there may be the place to sort out a little sweetner for a certain son

B x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
...that you may regret should of gone San Fran and spent the extra bucks.
Our journey over via LA was fine. Good luck to all that we be travelling soon
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:24 pm
MnB

Blimey Maria....you are an early bird!!
Guess you'll be out in the garden or baking biscuits in a minute!! (or out on the 'dick' recharging )
Sorry digressing away from own thread here!!
lol Bx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.