Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK 2 NZ - Emigration Consultants

UK 2 NZ - Emigration Consultants

Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

aarcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK 2 NZ - Emigration Consultants

Just starting to look at a UK 2 NZ move.

What are some of the pros & cons of using emigration consultants.

What sort of fees do they charge?

I've seen ads for "The Emigration Group" Chester/Manchester/London. If you have used them were they worth the money?

aarcc
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:45 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 2 NZ - Emigration Consultants

We used an immigration consultant. He charged £1000 for 2 under the skilled migrant category. He was brilliant - I can't praise him highly enough. We did it this way for piece of mind, and don't regret it for one second. From application to blue stickers in passports was almost exactly three months (and this was with almost a month in the middle that WE took to get things booked!) I can pm you his details of you want.
However, if you have a straightforward case, with nothing unusual you can do it yourself, you'll get lots of help here.

Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aarcc

I've seen ads for "The Emigration Group" Chester/Manchester/London. If you have used them were they worth the money?

aarcc
Hi aarcc,
I don't know your circumstances, but I'd say if you are applying for PR under the skilled migrant stream then look on the NZIS website and take the Expression of Interest test. If you get 100 plus points then submit the EOI and don't bother with an agent. If your circumstances are different to this, then maybe an agent is for you, but there are probably other people on this board who maybe able to advise.
Good luck,
Mark
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi aarcc,
I don't know your circumstances, but I'd say if you are applying for PR under the skilled migrant stream then look on the NZIS website and take the Expression of Interest test. If you get 100 plus points then submit the EOI and don't bother with an agent. If your circumstances are different to this, then maybe an agent is for you, but there are probably other people on this board who maybe able to advise.
Good luck,
Mark
I've got just over 100. But might they sometimes look for more than this?

aarcc
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:27 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

aarcc
At some stage maybe! but at the moment it's been steady at 100 points for AGES.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

aarcc
We used The Emigration Group (Chester) along with the job search they run through their parent company, Taylor & Associates, based in Auckland. Their service was good if you want to reduce the hassle a little bit, but to be honest you still have to do most of the paperwork yourself. Using a service gets you absolutely no advantage with the NZIS over doing it yourself. If you've a few grand to blow then go ahead but the consensus on this forum, which I agree with, is that it is not difficult. I have found the NZIS to be incredibly helpful (along with ever other NZ official department I have dealt with - it's certainly not like the UK).

My one complaint, that I also made directly to the agent, was that I was annoyed by the constant reminders that there would be a final fee to pay. At times it looked like they were only interested in their money.

With regards to fees, the full service cost £3600 plus 12.5% of salary for the job they found me (they just used lot's of local agencies and checked the NZ Herald - something I could easily have done myself). Don't forget that you still have to pay all your application fees on top of this, so it is not cheap.

Also, no matter what you are told, it is very rare (unless there are special circumstances) to get a firm job offer just on the back of a telephone interview from half way around the world. After all, would you employ someone without first meeting them? The Emigration Group will end up encouraging you to visit for a couple of months for interviews to show prospective employers that you are serious.

By the way, I only had 100 points (without needing a job offer) so if you already have over 100 you have an advantage over me so go for it.

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

aarcc
Look, you don't need an emigration consultant, it's money for old rope and completely unneeded. If you have over 100 points on your EOI and can speak English, do it yourself, it's the easiest thing in the world. If you don't understand something you can either ring them up or find the answer on the website, no need to pay someone a fortune to look at a public domain internet site.

And if you have over 100 points, it's a formality anyway. They are gagging for people that aren't oriental to come in and fill skill gaps. Not being racist btw, that's just the facts. They need to meet government immigration targets and right now they are way way way under.

Don't pay someone else to do it for you, it's a waste of time. Not to mention a waste of money that you WILL need here.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
.........They are gagging for people that aren't oriental to come in and fill skill gaps. Not being racist btw, that's just the facts. They need to meet government immigration targets and right now they are way way way under..........................
(Information from various net news sources)
Government target is 45,000 to 50,000 per year (peaked at 42,000 net in 2002/03). Last year net immigration (i.e. after they subtract the people who leave) was below 7000. According to the papers earlier this month, last month for the first time more people left than came in.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjennings
(Information from various net news sources)
Government target is 45,000 to 50,000 per year (peaked at 42,000 net in 2002/03). Last year net immigration (i.e. after they subtract the people who leave) was below 7000. According to the papers earlier this month, last month for the first time more people left than came in.
I rest my case. This country is no longer an attractive place to live and work for many reasons, not least of all the differences between salary and cost of living (which don't match up at all).
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

salmey is an unknown quantity at this point

Used them due to various reasons would not again. easy enough to do it yourself.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Dave in Auckland will become famous soon enough

I went through Macolm Pacific, in Auckland, but they have UK (London) office. I was recommended to them by a friend who handled his application. Very good, delivered on everything, but very, very expensive. They do offer a money-back guarantee if they don't get you in. But I assume they won't take a case that they have any doubts.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Look, you don't need an emigration consultant, it's money for old rope and completely unneeded. If you have over 100 points on your EOI and can speak English, do it yourself, it's the easiest thing in the world. If you don't understand something you can either ring them up or find the answer on the website, no need to pay someone a fortune to look at a public domain internet site.

And if you have over 100 points, it's a formality anyway. They are gagging for people that aren't oriental to come in and fill skill gaps. Not being racist btw, that's just the facts. They need to meet government immigration targets and right now they are way way way under.

Don't pay someone else to do it for you, it's a waste of time. Not to mention a waste of money that you WILL need here.
I totally agree... if you got over 100 points then just it yourself. Malcolm Pacific wanted £3k which we thought was crazy. We contacted another consultant who was very honest with us and said "its so easy, you dont need me...just do it yourself" so we did.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:42 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely agree with all of the above posts...

If your case is straightforward you do not need an agent to help you although you may want the reassurance that having a third party overseeing everything can give you but it really isn't necessary.

If you have 100 points or more you can fill in the EOI online which, although may be time consuming, is very straightforward and there is lots of guidance and help available on the NZIS website and on this forum...if you get stuck on anything just shout because someone on here is bound to know the answers...good luck....
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: UK 2 NZ - Emigration Consultants

Thanks all, good advice.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Absolutely agree with all of the above posts...

If your case is straightforward you do not need an agent to help you although you may want the reassurance that having a third party overseeing everything can give you but it really isn't necessary.

If you have 100 points or more you can fill in the EOI online which, although may be time consuming, is very straightforward and there is lots of guidance and help available on the NZIS website and on this forum...if you get stuck on anything just shout because someone on here is bound to know the answers...good luck....
That's right, you'd only have to fill the EOI in anyway even if you have an agent. Do the EOI and get selected and then get the ITA in as fast as possible and it won't matter if the pass mark goes up.
It's only worth using an agent if you have a complicated case.
Good luck and welcome to the party!
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.