British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Typical payroll run weekly or monthly??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/typical-payroll-run-weekly-monthly-657734/)

simonsi Mar 4th 2010 9:20 am

Typical payroll run weekly or monthly???

HI there, noticing most rental accomodation seems to require payment weekly, is that because most Kiwi employers pay weekly or do some/most pay monthly or does it just vary widely by employer??? :confused:

cappuccino Mar 4th 2010 9:25 am

Re: Typical payroll run weekly or monthly???

Most employers pay fortnightly. I have only had one (small, private company) pay monthly to save their admin costs!

In regard to rental - price is by the week but you pay however the landlord requests. My last rental was fortnightly (to coincide with my salary!)

simonsi Mar 4th 2010 9:28 am

Thanks! :thumbup:

Am Loolah Mar 4th 2010 9:30 am

Remember if you rent is paid weekly they can ask for a week's rent in advance - no more. If you're rent's paid fortnightly, they can ask for 2 weeks rent in advance, no more.:thumbup:

bananalana Mar 4th 2010 11:14 am

I have lived in NZ my whole life and I found most employers paid weekly.

I did end up working for one who paid monthly, and my partner was paid fornightly but before those jobs we always got paid weekly.

In regards to rent in advance, landlords can legally ask for 4 weeks in total for rent and bond before moving in - or it might possibly be 4 weeks rent for bond + two weeks rent but I am pretty sure it is legally they are not allowed to ask fro more than a total of 4 weeks up front (bond and rent)

BEVS Mar 5th 2010 12:12 am

We are paid weekly.

Jan n Neil Mar 5th 2010 12:30 am

I get weekly she gets fortnightly

As for rent tha maximum they can ask is 1 week in adv and 3 weeks bond this can go up to 4 weeks if u are bringing pets to cover any damage

Neil

weejie Mar 5th 2010 2:29 am

I am fortnightly,OH will be monthly.

Phyl x

Jo-Chris Mar 5th 2010 3:10 am

I am monthly and OH is Fortnightly :thumbup:

RobDon Mar 5th 2010 3:44 am

I am fortnightly ;)

Matewx Mar 5th 2010 4:51 am

We're both weekly...

Tomsk Mar 5th 2010 5:58 am

Both hubby and I get paid fortnightly, but I have 2 jobs....which is handy, one pays one week, the other pays the next week. I think I'd find going back to monthly pay a problem now if I'm honest.....we still go overdrawn from time to time :o....but never for more than a couple of days with money going in weekly :thumbup:

Forgot to say...when we rented we paid weekly, not that we expressed any request to pay differently, but weekly did seem to be the norm.

simonsi Mar 5th 2010 7:06 am

Great answers, thanks everyone!:thumbsup:

Bo-Jangles Mar 5th 2010 10:43 am

I'm fortnightly, him is monthly.

We're probably not helping much are we? :rofl:

The good thing is when you have a mortgage you can choose whichever suits according to the way you are paid, so we pay fortnightly.

simonsi Mar 5th 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 8396073)
I'm fortnightly, him is monthly.

We're probably not helping much are we? :rofl:

The good thing is when you have a mortgage you can choose whichever suits according to the way you are paid, so we pay fortnightly.

No all useful, think the UK is overwhelmingly monthly (with the exception of certain trades), so useful comparison and good info on the mortgages and rents etc.:thumbsup: