Typical innit?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Typical innit?

Kate has just recieved the cheque for cashing in her NHS pension from the Paymaster General in the Uk for her 15 odd years as a nurse. And where is the bastard pound?? Slipping towards 1.95. How bad do you want the timing to be?

Did you know prior to this shite level the worst it ever got was around 2.30? How good does that look these days? Its the bloody greek crisis that seems to be weighing it down now. Where will it end??

Anyway the money will have to stay in a sterling account until it gets better, which apparently it will (yeah right). We might want to get on with our lives but we are not changing sub 2. Who would (unless you really had to?).
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical innit?

I was speaking with the nice chap from Halo this afternoon who is confident that there should be a significant improvement by late 2011/early 2012. Small consolation. I guess you aren't allowed to keep money in ISA's once you have moved to NZ ? I'm just going to take the bare minimum and leave the majority of funds here until things improve
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
I was speaking with the nice chap from Halo this afternoon who is confident that there should be a significant improvement by late 2011/early 2012. Small consolation. I guess you aren't allowed to keep money in ISA's once you have moved to NZ ? I'm just going to take the bare minimum and leave the majority of funds here until things improve
Not sure about ISAs. No real worries about the rate. I kind of knew that it would get worse afore it got better. At least it is safe, out of the UK and it is all TAX FREE!!! We had / have grave doubts about any of these schemes being able to fund us till we die. Who would have though Leman Bros, Merril Lynch (sp) et al would have fallen over?? I have utterly zero trust in anyone other than a AAA bank/govt bonds etc to look after my money these days.

I too am cashing in my plod pension.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We cashed ours in too, even Mr BEVS bit of NHS pension fund. I got 2.20 back in Feb.
Agree about the AAA+ ratings. Wouldn't settle for anything else.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Typical innit?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Did you know prior to this shite level the worst it ever got was around 2.30?
Actually mate when we emigrated to NZ in 1996 it was 1.9 or so. So I wasn't very happy when all the Kiwis kept telling me "coming from England you must find everything very cheap here with all those pounds in your pocket!"

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Dear God.... can you fix up that there ozone hole thingy a bit?.... and whats with all this here shakin' everythin around then?..... sort it please!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Actually mate when we emigrated to NZ in 1996 it was 1.9 or so. So I wasn't very happy when all the Kiwis kept telling me "coming from England you must find everything very cheap here with all those pounds in your pocket!"

BB
Blimey! I never knew it had gone that low. Don't worry you soon will be joined by others who need or want to do a GBP forex, its well on its way to 1.90 just now..having lost about 4 cents in 24 hours.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin
Dear God.... can you fix up that there ozone hole thingy a bit?.... and whats with all this here shakin' everythin around then?..... sort it please!
Kev if you are back off to blighty you will benefit big time on this current parlous rate eh? If it gets any lower I wonder how many will think 'bollocks I am worth soooo much in pounds right now I am going to do one'??
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I had a leaving gift from work today of some kiwi dollars which was cool

Had a look at the rate today and its looking crappy again!

Will be needing to change some cash soon... still seriously tempted to bring some GBP over to NZ with me and change it when rate improves!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rick78
I had a leaving gift from work today of some kiwi dollars which was cool

Had a look at the rate today and its looking crappy again!

Will be needing to change some cash soon... still seriously tempted to bring some GBP over to NZ with me and change it when rate improves!
Wait as long as you can mate. I was told yesterday in the late 90s it was 1.90 once . I reckon it can't get much worse (famous last words!!). The kiwi is so madly overvalued its not funny. The NZ economy has much shit awaiting to hit the fan IMO (and other people think this too) what with Chch, the ridiculous and crappy rate of exchange that will see tourism income fall off hugely etc, the bubble has only so long before it bursts (as they often do) and we see a reality check. Commodity prices are allegedly set to fall which will pull the kiwi back in line. Nothing is for sure but what we do know is that this rate is pig ugly and should be avoided at all costs.

I do not see the current rates as sustainable OR the new paradigm. Neither do I see 2.40 in the near or distant future. But 2.20 is well possible and worth having your money sat in an NZ sterling acct. albeit earning no interest until we see some improvement.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kev if you are back off to blighty you will benefit big time on this current parlous rate eh? If it gets any lower I wonder how many will think 'bollocks I am worth soooo much in pounds right now I am going to do one'??
I dont think we will.... but even if we did want to, we can't at the moment.

I know NZ is not quite living up to expectations (would anywhere?) but the UK is in real dire straits. Im all for a flutter on the currency markets, but to re-locate back to the UK, even with a mill or so in the bank, no I can't see it happening. I do know a few who have thought just that though.... I know eight people who have returned already, and at least two other couples who are on the verge!!!