British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   types of heating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/types-heating-731204/)

pcmay10 Sep 5th 2011 1:05 pm

types of heating

hi gang,before i start with cv i would like to ask what are the main sources of heating in domestic and commercial properties,i am qualified in gas,oil,solar and air source heat pumps,but would like to know which to prioritise on cv..thankyou...

BEVS Sep 5th 2011 10:10 pm

Re: types of heating

Originally Posted by pcmay10 (Post 9601524)
hi gang,before i start with cv i would like to ask what are the main sources of heating in domestic and commercial properties,i am qualified in gas,oil,solar and air source heat pumps,but would like to know which to prioritise on cv..thankyou...

I'd go with the heat pumps. Many properties have these.

There is some oil fired central heating and some reticulated gas in places. Much of the gas is bottled stuff for gas fires /cookers.

Wood burners are how many people heat their homes.

Justcol Sep 6th 2011 11:53 am

I had gas heated blown air central heating in my last place, it was very good.
Big gas heater in the loft in the garage that had links to ceiling vents in every room.
The unit was controlled by a central thermostat and when on would heat every
room in the house to a set temp within 5 to 10 mins. If rooms were not being
used the vents could be shut off to that room. It had a timer so could be set
to come on and off whenever you needed it.
Much better than heat pumps that will only heat the room they are in :thumbdown:

lardyl Sep 6th 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9603136)
I had gas heated blown air central heating in my last place, it was very good......Much better than heat pumps that will only heat the room they are in :thumbdown:

mmm.....interesting comment from the ducted air suppliers :confused: :

An open fire can actually make your house colder overall. On top of this, a recent study showed they can be bad for your health and the health of those living in the area around your house.
having suffered poisoning from CO spillage from a ducted air system I'd be rather wary of them and having investigated a very large fire caused by such a commercial system I'm even less inclinced to recommend them.

can't see why they are so much better than heat pumps for most people in NZ. Nothing wrong with taking the edge off the lounge - the room you spend your time in, especially as it's often connected to your kitchen and dining area. Then you can go to bed in a chilly space, rather than some UK-style overheated 75 degree hot house.

The ducted air system won't do you much good in the summer whereas you can get some cooling from heat pumps.

Many NZ homes are not at all suitable for taking ducted air but most are OK for heat pumps and solar heating for DHW.

coffeeaddict Sep 6th 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9603136)
I had gas heated blown air central heating in my last place, it was very good.
Big gas heater in the loft in the garage that had links to ceiling vents in every room..
Much better than heat pumps that will only heat the room they are in :thumbdown:

I say retrofit the old gas boiler with a fan coil (heatpump ducted sys) and re use the duct and have a heatpump to all rooms not just one, then you will get 4 to 5kw of heat for every 1kw electric and no carbon emissions:thumbup: oh and did i mention cooling:thumbsup:

witty Sep 6th 2011 3:34 pm

Heat pumps are the main source in the NZ fella. Prioritise with that on the CV

Justcol Sep 7th 2011 6:29 am

The system i had was not a DVS system that simply sucked the warm air from the loft.

I have heat pumps in my current place and they are shit, I hate them.

I refuse to turn kiwi and accept that its normal to be cold in the winter.
I don't want to go to bed cold, I don't want to layer up when I'm indoors
I don't want to have to leave all the doors in the house open so the heat pump
air can circulate.

Debbie2NZ Sep 8th 2011 10:49 pm

+1

bourbon-biscuit Sep 9th 2011 7:38 am

I don't think you can beat a *decent* log fire. The trouble is a lot of the log fires in properties are shite but decent ones send a warmth through the whole house.

You know what they say- nobody gathers round a heatpump :)

hazeandsteve Sep 9th 2011 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 9609425)
I don't think you can beat a *decent* log fire. The trouble is a lot of the log fires in properties are shite but decent ones send a warmth through the whole house.

:thumbsup:

Justcol Sep 10th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 9609425)

+1

Not if you want you wig to stay on !!!

Girojim Sep 15th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by pcmay10 (Post 9601524)

With those qualies,you should walk into a job,especially in the South Island.
Best pay rates are in Queenstown which also happens to be the most expensive place to live,Invercargill rates are on the up aswell,though do research before commiting to living there!!Good Luck.

tonz76 Sep 17th 2011 10:02 am

If the gas appliances here were regularly serviced and maintained it would help but seems thats not the norm. With your skills base your should have no problem gaining employment. I have to agree with prev comments heat pumps are a waste of time and the sooner thats realised the better. If piped gas was readily available good old fashioned radiators would solve a big problem of the damp homes, seems a lot like to grin and bare it ;)

Girojim Sep 17th 2011 11:35 am

Central heating is definately gaining in popularity here,I am doing two jobs at the moment 16 and 14 radiator jobs.I have installed full radiator central heating in my house(toasty!!).There are alot of cold houses here but I look at that as a big plus,its future work!
Most systems down here(Southland/Otago) including my own are diesel fired as Gas either bottled or Reticulated is massively expensive.

pcmay10 Sep 17th 2011 11:50 am

hi there,thanks for replies,you mention diesel burners are they the same as heating/ light oil burners in uk?thanks...