British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   TV programmes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tv-programmes-397063/)

Harleychick Sep 17th 2006 4:11 pm

TV programmes

Not that I am an avid fan of TV or any kind of couch potatoe but could someone please let me know what the TV programmes are like. Do they have X-factor!!!!!

Nice Guy Sep 17th 2006 7:15 pm

TV programmes

There are 4 terrestrial national TV channels all free to air and also the Maori channel and in Auckland something named Triangle channel, has programmes from all over the world and in fuzzy-wuzzy languages as well.

Then there is Sky which offers the consumer about an additional 20 channels at various $ rates dependent on which service you require.

There is lots of what I call “Puke TV” on all channels, imported American drivel, which Mrs Nice Guy enjoys, I have a tendency to make myself scarce.

But to answer your question, hmmmmmmmmm…………..unless others know the response is no.

kwprwn Sep 17th 2006 8:19 pm

Re: TV programmes

Originally Posted by Harleychick
Not that I am an avid fan of TV or any kind of couch potatoe but could someone please let me know what the TV programmes are like. Do they have X-factor!!!!!

No they dont

poppets Sep 17th 2006 8:19 pm

one the 4 main channels you get eastenders, corrie, hustle, spooks, csi, 24, life begins, midsomer murders, blah blah blah & theres a uk tv channel thats on cable which has got casualty, holby, the professional, the sweeney etc

jueinnz Sep 17th 2006 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by poppets
one the 4 main channels you get eastenders, corrie, hustle, spooks, csi, 24, life begins, midsomer murders, blah blah blah & theres a uk tv channel thats on cable which has got casualty, holby, the professional, the sweeney etc

x factor....yes I was watching it while eating pizza on Friday night

kwprwn Sep 17th 2006 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz
x factor....yes I was watching it while eating pizza on Friday night

oops shows I dont watch it.....not my sort of thing

Am Loolah Sep 17th 2006 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn
oops shows I dont watch it.....not my sort of thing

We are one of the few in the UK who ONLY have the 4 channels!! We used to have Sky, but we moved house 4 years ago and told the kids we couldn't have it where we moved to ... best decision we ever made! Why did we do that and deprive our children? Because we struggled to remove them from it ... they were spouting Americanisms at us ... and they didn't play anymore!!

We have every intention of adopting a take it or leave attitude to TV in NZ ... i.e; we may well be one of the very few who play games; go the beach; do homework; phone rellies etc. As opposed to sit down and watch crap and waste our live away! We do that here in the Uk, only with 4 channels, I'll be damned if I'm going to the other side of the world to do the same!!

kwprwn Sep 17th 2006 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We are one of the few in the UK who ONLY have the 4 channels!! We used to have Sky, but we moved house 4 years ago and told the kids we couldn't have it where we moved to ... best decision we ever made! Why did we do that and deprive our children? Because we struggled to remove them from it ... they were spouting Americanisms at us ... and they didn't play anymore!!

We have every intention of adopting a take it or leave attitude to TV in NZ ... i.e; we may well be one of the very few who play games; go the beach; do homework; phone rellies etc. As opposed to sit down and watch crap and waste our live away! We do that here in the Uk, only with 4 channels, I'll be damned if I'm going to the other side of the world to do the same!!

Tv isnt that great here, we used to have sky in the uk,but dont here, I dont miss it but hubby does

in fact I would say TV is crap here, particularly during the day on the weekends, I dont watch it in the week as in work during day

poppets Sep 18th 2006 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

yep we watch far less tv than we did in uk, we're out at weekends & usually chatting to rellies or on BE :eek: :D

sunshine_and_rain Sep 18th 2006 2:43 am

No X Factor - thank god! LOL. TV is pretty shocking really, but you get used to it. Theres no TV licence fees though so we can't complain too much! I am an avid CSI fan and I get to watch it heaps so I am happy. :)

SarahB Sep 18th 2006 3:30 am

IMHO TV here is rubbish.... Ive never watched so little tv. In the summer we are outside more.... in the winter we tend to go online and speak to rellies and friends back in UK. Only programmes I watch regularly are Neighbours and Home and Away.... yep sad I know! :)

kwprwn Sep 18th 2006 3:35 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
IMHO TV here is rubbish.... Ive never watched so little tv. In the summer we are outside more.... in the winter we tend to go online and speak to rellies and friends back in UK. Only programmes I watch regularly are Neighbours and Home and Away.... yep sad I know! :)

thats very sad :eek:

SarahB Sep 18th 2006 3:39 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
thats very sad :eek:

Yeah I know and I admit it!! Ive watched Neighbours since it started how many years ago???!! Ive watched H & A since about a month after it started..... was pleased to see that they were on here when we emigrated.

Occasionally I might watch Supernanny and I watch Survivor when its on but thats about it.... cant think of anything else. OH, embarrassed to admit I sometimes watch ANTM when its on too. :o

What do you watch then?

jueinnz Sep 18th 2006 3:45 am

Yeah I know and I admit it!! Ive watched Neighbours since it started how many years ago???!! Ive watched H & A since about a month after it started..... was pleased to see that they were on here when we emigrated.

Occasionally I might watch Supernanny and I watch Survivor when its on but thats about it.... cant think of anything else. OH, embarrassed to admit I sometimes watch ANTM when its on too. :o

What do you watch then?

Whats ANTM???
Survivor is good, so no Corro Street for anyone then?

kwprwn Sep 18th 2006 4:41 am

What do you watch then?

I watch CSI and did watch House when it was on, also Prison Break (as we missed this when it staretd in the UK) also watch SVU and sometimes without a trace...and I run and hide when coronation street comes on :eek: