Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:55 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
However much research we do, I always get drawn back to Christchurch. Been showing my Husband the weather reports in the NZ Herald to prove it has good weather. Grey overcast weather is what we want to get away from. Trouble is we need to be fairly near a city for work opportunities, so smaller towns and cities are not an option.
Christchurch and Blenheim are your best options on the South Island and the Tauranga and Hawkes Bay regions on the North Island if you are looking for sunshine.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by knifey_spoony
http://www.tvcatchup.com/

You can watch Wanted Down Under on that website.The episodes take a few days to be put on but there is a couple on there already.
That is an excellent website!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

scunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nice

we watched the programme as well. very interesting,

but why oh why do they pick people who can afford expensive property
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:21 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scunnybunny
but why oh why do they pick people who can afford expensive property

To make the destination look more desirable to those watching.

I was surprised too, since I noticed that the houses being looked at in NZ were worth substantially more than those that the families lived in back home, even when considering the exchange rate. I didn't therefore assume that it was realistic. Will Connie be very disappointed Mandie?

But great if it turns out to be these families' reality. The favourable exchange rate is one of the things that fuels a better standard of living in countries such as NZ afterall.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

pp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
That is an excellent website!

Thanks for the heads up!
Agreed - thanks for that!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:09 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Will Connie be very disappointed Mandie? .
erm...NO...we are not materialistic people, my children don't have the latest gismo or gadget, if they want something then they save up be able to get it!

We loved the last house...is it for us...NO, will connie be disappointed NO...she will be just as happy in a house half the size as she will have a bedroom to call her own and be with her most important thing in life that money can't buy....HER FAMILY!!!

oh and who said that the houses we looked at weren't realistic for us to buy...what you forget is that these programmes only show a snipped of information and therefore no-one can make an assumption on what they see from a 45 min show

Last edited by 11ThousandMilesFromHome; Jan 7th 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
erm...NO...we are not materialistic people, my children don't have the latest gismo or gadget, if they want something then they save up be able to get it!

We loved the last house...is it for us...NO, will connie be disappointed NO...she will be just as happy in a house half the size as she will have a bedroom to call her own and be with her most important thing in life that money can't buy....HER FAMILY!!!

oh and who said that the houses we looked at weren't realistic for us to buy...what you forget is that these programmes only show a snipped of information and therefore no-one can make an assumption on what they see from a 45 min show
But pretty please I want to see the programme:curse:
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:42 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Frenchy
But pretty please I want to see the programme:curse:
will bring a copy when i come up
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

You can access it via the use of a UK proxy server. Which I have just done. The only big problem is finding one with enough bandwidth to allow streaming media. If anybody has found one please let us all know. ( But that would probably render it useless)

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
You can't access this from NZ!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:49 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

The Taylor family today, January 7th, went to Auckland, he is a vet. I found them to be the most interesting and positive family so far. The family liked New Zealand but felt the lower salary probably wouldn`t be able to support the lifestyle they had hoped to be able to live there. They had done their research but felt one week was not long enough to discover whether the cost of living was lower than that in Britain. Jean Taylor said they would review their situation in the future.
Pat.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:00 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome

Mandie,

Sorry, I didn't mean to rile you.

I agree with everything you said about your family and was not meaning to imply that you could or could not afford that or any other house. I have only ever made positive comments about you and your family so my reference to Connie was meant in humour. It certainly wasn't meant to upset you if that is how you feel.

In fact I meant exactly what you implied, that I wouldn't assume it was all 'for real' from what was shown on a 45 minute programme.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:29 pm
aka Mandie.H

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Mandie,

Sorry, I didn't mean to rile you.

I agree with everything you said about your family and was not meaning to imply that you could or could not afford that or any other house. I have only ever made positive comments about you and your family so my reference to Connie was meant in humour. It certainly wasn't meant to upset you if that is how you feel.

In fact I meant exactly what you implied, that I wouldn't assume it was all 'for real' from what was shown on a 45 minute programme.
cool, no worries. I was probably bit too sensitive too. Very emotional time this moving to the other side of the world milarky.

i know you have always been helpful and supportive toward me and my family and that is and will always be very much appreciated.

Got 4 more days here and i'm not looking forward to the last goodbyes...i'm normally a chilled easy going person but little things at the moment are getting to me...but i'm sure that's normal

and lets hope for everyones sake it doesn't last!!!

Hope we're cool now
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Hi Mandie,
Thinking of you going off to Christchurch with the girls, Ric to follow later. I`ve just heard from my big son who lives in Wellington with his partner, he`s in America waiting for his flight back to NZ, after visiting us at Christmas. Stuart loves it there, he went in 1996. We`ve had one visit in 2005, Stuart would like us to move there but as you know, it`s a big step and you are a few years younger! If we get to visit Christchurch on our next visit we will look out for you, meanwhile, all the best, I`m sure you will love it!
Pat.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:45 pm
aka Mandie.H

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
Hi Mandie,
Thinking of you going off to Christchurch with the girls, Ric to follow later. I`ve just heard from my big son who lives in Wellington with his partner, he`s in America waiting for his flight back to NZ, after visiting us at Christmas. Stuart loves it there, he went in 1996. We`ve had one visit in 2005, Stuart would like us to move there but as you know, it`s a big step and you are a few years younger! If we get to visit Christchurch on our next visit we will look out for you, meanwhile, all the best, I`m sure you will love it!
Pat.
Ah bless you!!!
I'm 40 this year and think it's now or never for us as i don't want to leave it any later for the girls as they'll move on and get serious boyfriend or start a career and may not then want to move...not sure i'd be able to do it without my girls
If you're ever in this neck of the woods then give me a shout
take care
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

pp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nicepp15doodoo is just really nice

Good luck to you Mandie - I hope to be following in your footsteps sometime in the next year or so.

Hope it all works out for you - from what I saw of you and your wonderful family on that tv show you'll be fine!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.