Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
yep it's just a one way flow out of the bank at the moment, don't start work till 25th Feb so probably won't get paid till the middle to the end of March

just buying the bare essentials is costing a fortune
EEK! Well good luck, hope that you can start putting some of that money back soon. March is a long time away but at least you don't have to shell out for warm clothes and heating at this time of year!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Looks like a trip to Dress Mart then!!!! (You been there yet for that bag?)
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thank you everyone for the lovely kind words and the support.

Just been lent a bed so no more sleeping on a blow up bed, have also been given a TV and Radio to borrow so that's great.

we've gone to the school today and are going back tomorrow to speak to someone about connie's options...should be ok though.

Bought the girls school uniform and shoes which came to $1,100 and we've still got to buy the stationary...then give the school the school donation of $350, then there's the PTA donation of $80, then the ICT donation $40, then the internet donation $40...then depending on what subjects they choose depends on how much we have to pay for the subject

the bank balance is just shrinking daily
Just reading this again...... are the girls at a private school? How on earth do uniforms cost that much? The private school over the road from me the uniform costs £250 and that is the whole kit. How many girls are you buying for?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Just reading this again...... are the girls at a private school? How on earth do uniforms cost that much? The private school over the road from me the uniform costs £250 and that is the whole kit. How many girls are you buying for?
OMG £250 for a school uniform! i think i can get it here in the Uk for max £50 - school jumpers and the rest at ASDA! Gulp!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
OMG £250 for a school uniform! i think i can get it here in the Uk for max £50 - school jumpers and the rest at ASDA! Gulp!
yes but they have summer and winter uniform, different sports uniform, heavy kilt, all the 'stuff' that they need at a private school. It all adds up ! Not the normal kit that you get with ASDA providing the rest.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:24 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My daughter Ally will be headed off to intermediate school in a couple of weeks. The fees and uniforms are taking a bit of a bite out of the ol' bank account.

In Kiwi dollars...

school blouse - $49
skirt - $55
jersey - $81 to $90
kilt - $200 to $215
PE t-shirt - $29
PE shorts -$29
hat -$12
stationary pack - $60
school donation - $200
school camp - $160

I'm sure there will be more...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:14 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

I have two daughters and NO they are not going to private school...that's the price for a normal high school

They cost that much because everything has to have a school logo on etc etc

i'm sure i'll shell out more before too long
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:20 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I've just kitted out my daughter for High School and for uniform, shoes and stationary, it's cost over $500 so far and we haven't bought any books for her options yet :curse:

I just hope the 'baggy' look is in this season
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I've just kitted out my daughter for High School and for uniform, shoes and stationary, it's cost over $500 so far and we haven't bought any books for her options yet :curse:

I just hope the 'baggy' look is in this season

I had no idea that it was so expensive....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea that it was so expensive....
Welcome to New Zealand!!!

I find the things you would expect to pay a small fortune for in the UK, are cheap here and vice versa
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I have two daughters and NO they are not going to private school...that's the price for a normal high school

They cost that much because everything has to have a school logo on etc etc

i'm sure i'll shell out more before too long
My daughter emigrated in 2006 together with her husband & 15 year old son. We went over to visit them in Jan. 2007. He was starting a new school in Feb 2007 and the headmaster said the school uniform would be on sale on this particular day in Jan. My daughter & myself together with my grandson went, only to find that is was second-hand uniforms that were being sold that belonged to children who had grown out of them or had left, the money of course being passed on the the parents. This seemed a very good idea although my daughter did not do it. She then found out where she could buy the uniforms and she was given two outlets so these shops do have the monopoly. Maybe re-cycling is something that's done in most schools.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jan 23rd 2008 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
My daughter emigrated in 2006 together with her husband & 15 year old son. We went over to visit them in Jan. 2007. He was starting a new school in Feb 2007 and the headmaster said the school uniform would be on sale on this particular day in Jan. My daughter & myself together with my grandson went, only to find that is was second-hand uniforms that were being sold that belonged to children who had grown out of them or had left, the money of course being passed on the the parents. This seemed a very good idea although my daughter did not do it. She then found out where she could buy the uniforms and she was given two outlets so these shops do have the monopoly. Maybe re-cycling is something that's done in most schools.
Call me a snob but I would not be having my child in hand me downs, from family maybe but not buying second hand school clothes for her. Just not my bag!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a snob but I would not be having my child in hand me downs, from family maybe but not buying second hand school clothes for her. Just not my bag!

You might change your mind when they get older and start becoming expensive. Although to some it is choice and to others a necessity.

I have one daughter who is clean and very light on her clothes. Thus two of most things (except shirts) are fine - one on and one in the wash. And just one PE kit. I seem to recall my childhood being like this.

The youngest is a different kettle of fish. She can wear the same shirt all week (she doesn't but loves the lived in feel), but needs a clean skirt/pinafore and cardigan/sweatshirt most days! I can't stand the sight of gravy stains on grey pleated skirts ... Needless to say we have a few second hand school branded items kindly donated by friends of eldest. I don't consider them 'hand-me-downs' although I know that is exactly what they are!

Both my girls have wardrobes to die for. Something for every occasion. If only mine were the same. I suppose this is the benefit of having a few second hand items. A friend of mine runs a second hand clothes business, selling clothes from Monsoon, GAP, Boden and the like for children up to about 12 for a fraction of their RRP. I went today and bagged 2 pairs of GAP jeans and one pair of Dubstars for my eldest for £9, all hardly worn since they really start growing from about the age of six I've noticed! Such a bargain. And in great condition. I used to feel a little like you Lexy about second hand items, but now I really feel good about cutting down our clothing bills and benefitting the environment through recycling. There is such a lot of waste everywhere. I also pass my clothes on to friends, who frankly have no money worries whatsoever, but love a freebie I suppose.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 24th 2008 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

jleroux will become famous soon enoughjleroux will become famous soon enough

Not sure if anybody has offered because the thread is long to read through.

Love the celebs we have on this forum. I have watched season 1 and up to ep10 on season 2. If anybody wants any episodes you can either join www.uknova.com or www.thebox.bz or PM me and I'll give you a link to copy if off of. I can host it, it's 350MB per episode.

The other people that miss UK telly join these sites and you can download UK telly programs (yes, even Eastenders if you have to). Contact me if you need help. I will be away till the Feb 3rd so hosting will be slow till I get back but I will get the links for Season 2 ep 1-15 up so long.

BBC is hosting some to watch online http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5v8 and I have put Season 2 Ep 1-15 + revisited ep1 up. PM me for the link to the webpage.

Last edited by jleroux; Jan 24th 2008 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

No I would not call you a snob and neither is my daughter but she is like you and has only 1 son is able in a buy new. However bigger families must find it a struggle so will be glad of there is somewhere they do not have to pay the top price. When we went to the school we did not know at first they were second hand we just thought they were samples of what was required. I have to say some were like new. My grandson is a growing lad and he soon grows out of his clothes so she sent last years to the school for them to sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.