Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Just finished watching it! Funny, you'd think from the programme that Laura and family decided not to go! Wonder how many others have gone after a comparatively negative programme?
What I'd give to be offered a job in NZ
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

CENTER][/CENTER]

is there any way we can watch the show over here? hate that wee miss it
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

mezuk04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to download them on the BBC iPlayer, although I can only get several starting from 6
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mezuk04
Going to download them on the BBC iPlayer, although I can only get several starting from 6
They only have a shelf life of a week I think. I can't get it via the i-player site I watch off www.bbc.co.uk/programmes hope that helps
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

can we use i-player in nz?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

LoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your lovely messages and kind words. I didn't realise so many people would cry at my friends and family messages! It was soooo hard saying goodbye to everyone, but we're here now and absolutely loving every minute of it. The weather is fabulous, the children are having the time of their lives. We went swimming in the Pacific Ocean yesterday - how cool is that! I know it's early days, and probably the 'rose-tinted' specs are on at the moment, but everyone here in New Plymouth has bent over backwards to help us, and couldn't be more friendly. Ruby arrived safely on Saturday, and so the 'crazy gang' are back together again. All the kids are enrolled in their new schools, and looking forward to starting on Feb 2nd. All have heated swimming pools, and so many sports on offer they don't know where to start! Doug is ready to start work at Transfield on 2nd too. His boss & family have taken us under their wing and we've been for a BBQ at their house already! As for me, I'm looking forward to waving everyone off on Monday, grabbing my book, sunglasses and drink, and sitting in the garden all day. Yep, its lazy, but well deserved I reckon!! Gonna make the most of these few months of summer before the rain comes. And we all know how I feel about that!! If I can help anyone with any queries etc, please feel free to message me and i'll do what I can to assist with any of our experiences. TTFN, LOL Lou and all the family xxxxxx
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooooooooooo good to hear from you. Glad things are working out,just watched this morning a family from Banchory who did not like it and chose UK. In my opinion the mum did not give it a fair go from the start. Hope all continues to be good

Phyl x
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoobyHighland
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your lovely messages and kind words. I didn't realise so many people would cry at my friends and family messages! It was soooo hard saying goodbye to everyone, but we're here now and absolutely loving every minute of it. The weather is fabulous, the children are having the time of their lives. We went swimming in the Pacific Ocean yesterday - how cool is that! I know it's early days, and probably the 'rose-tinted' specs are on at the moment, but everyone here in New Plymouth has bent over backwards to help us, and couldn't be more friendly. Ruby arrived safely on Saturday, and so the 'crazy gang' are back together again. All the kids are enrolled in their new schools, and looking forward to starting on Feb 2nd. All have heated swimming pools, and so many sports on offer they don't know where to start! Doug is ready to start work at Transfield on 2nd too. His boss & family have taken us under their wing and we've been for a BBQ at their house already! As for me, I'm looking forward to waving everyone off on Monday, grabbing my book, sunglasses and drink, and sitting in the garden all day. Yep, its lazy, but well deserved I reckon!! Gonna make the most of these few months of summer before the rain comes. And we all know how I feel about that!! If I can help anyone with any queries etc, please feel free to message me and i'll do what I can to assist with any of our experiences. TTFN, LOL Lou and all the family xxxxxx
what beach were you at? we spent sunday at ngamoto beach, lovely there eh? we will def have to meet up ,

caz
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
can we use i-player in nz?
No Caroline, we can`t. I`m staying in Wellington with my son for a couple of months, so not living here all the time, he has set me up with a computer and I have the BBC website, including the news and weather from North Yorkshire, where I`m from. It does state that Iplayer is currently only available in the UK. Of course, if anybody knows anything different , I`m sure we would all be interested.
Pat.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
No Caroline, we can`t. I`m staying in Wellington with my son for a couple of months, so not living here all the time, he has set me up with a computer and I have the BBC website, including the news and weather from North Yorkshire, where I`m from. It does state that Iplayer is currently only available in the UK. Of course, if anybody knows anything different , I`m sure we would all be interested.
Pat.
there is something you can do online, i think it cost us like 24 quid for a year , not used it yet but i can watch like river city through it , wonder if this similer

caz
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good to hear from you Lou. The programme was good and it's so good to hear it all went through. You enjoy that sunshine girl
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lou

So glad to made it and all the best to you in your new Country you will soon call home.

We leave Gail & Doug's on the 1st flying from Tauranga to Auckland in the evening. We will leave Auckland Monday lunch time and be met by some very cold weather I am told. I will be sorry to leave this sunshine.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Hi LoobyHighland

Only just read your posts and can totally identify with all of what you said, as we were the Hughes Family (Darwin) on Monday 12 Jan 2009

We're surprised you have made the move so quickly but WELL DONE and GOOD FOR YOU , we wish YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS!

We've made contact with a couple of families from Series 3 and previous series since being on WDU but would love to keep in touch with you, plus you could give us some more updated info as you will be more experienced in 'living the dream' especially with your adventure just starting!

Dave initiated his Visa application Dec 08 and has a Skills Test booked for April 09. Maybe you could visit us in Oz when we go and vice versa!!!!

Check out the forum Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it... for some of my posts.

Could you send me a Private Message with your details and we can keep in touch.

GOOD LUCK once again.

Enjoy your New Life together. xx

Hiya, good to hear from you. Hubs new job is here in Caithness, and that's whats going to make the decision to emigrate more difficult as good jobs are few and far between being so far north. It's a toss up of financial security 'v' new adventures in NZ.

It was such a surprise to get on the programme. Along with many others I'm sure, I watched it religiously back in January and it started to sow a restless seed of 'there must be more to life', ie NZ or AU. So, I sent an email through to the general BBC enquiries website and they forwarded it to the wanted down under department. Never heard a dickie bird for a couple of months and then an email came through with an application form. Filled it in and sent it straight back. Then, nothing for a few more weeks till a telephone call one teatime out of the blue. 40 minute chat with me and hubs. Was told if we got through to the next stage it would be a filmed interview. Got a call the very next day saying we'd made it to the next bit. Travelled down to Inverness and had a tv interview, took about an hour. Was asked pretty much the same questions as over the phone, why did we want to emigrate, people we were leaving behind, what did we want to do etc. It was explained that we were one of 60 families through to this stage (out of 5000 who'd applied!), and that only 20 would be picked (13 for AU and 7 for NZ). 10 days later we had a phone call to say we'd been picked!!! Still in total shock! Now it's a case of all systems go, tons of paperwork to get through, permission forms, lifestyle questions, driving consents etc etc. Good fun though as I love admin! (saddo!) We're off to New Plymouth in September. We asked for the Taranaki area as Dougs an engineer and this area has lots of onshore/offshore opportunities. They film us for a week and then we're holidaying/exploring for a week. Cos Dougs started a new job he may have to fly home after a week, but me and the kids are going to stay out for 14days.

Are you looking at emigrating at the moment??? I know they've closed the applications for series 3 (Jan '09), but there's no reason come the new year why you shouldn't apply for series 4. I'm sure due to the popularity of the programme it'll keep going for a while yet.

Sorry I've rambled, it's good to get it all out and chat!! My friends and family are sick of me going on, so I'm trying to be quiet at home now! (am bursting inside!)

You find yourself constantly trying to find reasons to stay or go. Its a permanent merry-go-round! Lou xx
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

A couple of cracking 'NZ Revisited' on the last few days, very emotional and REAL!! Our wishes go out to you 'Mandie' and family, I really hope it all works out for you and your family. The other family from Scotland decided that NZ wasn't right for all the family and decided to stay in the UK and make more of it here.

It can be really TOUGH this NZ thing.

Cheers Jads
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched Mandie and family on i-player. Hope all works out,so glad my boys are going to be only 9 and 6 as I think I would have similar probs with the older one if we waited a few years. As for the family yesterday I think if I was the step-dad I would like to throttle the girl........basically they didn't go because of her and then 12-18 months later she turns round and says that she will probably go to NZ for a year to tour and possibly live there! There have been a few good episodes and it has helped my folks and in-laws see some of why we want to go.

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.